Notices

High Temp Hose to withstand exhaust temps for crankcase evac?

Old 08-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Temp Hose to withstand exhaust temps for crankcase evac?

I chose to make my own catchcan setup that includes a 5/8" diameter heater hose that is attached to a custom catch can routed to a steel backslash cut fitting inserted into my exhaust piping. The fitting is rougly 3 feet from the turbo so obviously it gets extremely hot. Anyone know of an affordable type of hose that can withstand the heat? The hose is for vacuum purposes, so only air flows through it for the most part. The original heater hose lasted less than 300 miles before melting itself from the fitting on the exhaust.
Btw, most stainless steel braided hose is only rated up to 400-500 degrees, so that won't cut it.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: High Temp Hose to withstand exhaust temps for crankcase evac? (Nisif)

have a tube welded into your exhaust about a foot long, then attach the SS line to it.

Hopefully that will give you some time for the temp to cool a bit.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High Temp Hose to withstand exhaust temps for crankcase evac? (mike1114)

I don't really have that much room down there for a 12" tube/pipe. The fitting is just below the rear crossmember angled at 45 degrees, so I think something that long will hit the crossmember. Guess I can play around with it, still looking for some good hose though

Modified by Nisif at 3:37 PM 8/11/2006
Old 08-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: High Temp Hose to withstand exhaust temps for crankcase evac? (Nisif)

use heatwrap on the hose..

platinum.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use regular rubber hose for my exhaust PCV... The hose does break down, but it never leaks or anything like that because it isn't really pressurized or under heavy vacuum. Last time I replaced the hose, it has hardened; but it was after 1.5 years of driving. I wouldn't be too concerned about it, and for sure some silicon hose would probably take several years before you run into issues
Old 08-11-2006, 07:02 PM

Default Re: High Temp Hose to withstand exhaust temps for crankcase evac? (platinum00)

the heat is from within so i don't see a heat wrap doing much good. it may be kinda ghetto but i picked up a 1/2" steel gas line from home depot. it's also flexible so you can arrange it anyway you need. it's about 12" long with 1/2 threaded ends on each side so one goes to my slash cut tube in the exhaust and one 1/2 barb on the other end to a 1/2 heater hose. i haven't installed it yet but will be soon when i put the car back together. just experimenting. the only thing i see being a problem is i'm not flowing enough out of the can. it has two 1/2" inlets and one 1/2" outlet. will see how it goes. if it doesn't seem to evacuate enough, i may just hook up a radiator hose or something on the outlet of the can and just extend it down to somewhere under the car.