Notices

High EGT's + no tune overheating car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High EGT's + no tune overheating car?

Rundown on the setup...

(This is not my car i'm just helping my buddy with it and he is not a member on here.)

00 Civic Si
greddy turbo kit @ 7-8 psi
built/sleeved b16, Endyn 9.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods
stock head, Cometic headgasket, NGK bkr7e plugs
MSD ignition with modified distributor (not the msd billet)
440cc injectors, Walbro 255lph, chipped p28 (untuned)
running Redline water wetter + coolant + distilled water
EGT probe located 5" from turbo in downpipe

So we needed to drive the car to the shop to get tuned. The chipped p28 that i ordered did not even start the car. A HT member Turbogixxer (really great guy btw! highly recommended) helped us out and got the car to run but could not tune the car because it was running hot. He suggested that it was the headgasket but the car isn't blowing smoke out the tailpipe, there is no coolant in the oil and no oil in the coolant. Before i went ahead and pulled the head off to check the headgasket and check if the head was warped, i tried to sort a few problems.

The car was overboosting due to the wastegate actuator being pulled back too far so i wound it back and got the car to hold 7-8 psi. I put a new thermostat in it, replaced the Spoon 1.3 radiator cap with an oem Honda 1.1 and flushed all the coolant out replacing it with a mix of water wetter, coolant and distilled water. After doing all this the car runs better although it still seems a little hot, not as much as before but still noticably hot.

Is is possible that the high egts combined with the small exhaust and stock downpipe are causing the engine to run hot? It does not show that the car is overheating on the stock gauge. At cruising we are seeing 1400f egt temps and no lower than 1000f at any speed. Im not boosting the car whatsoever as im scared that something will melt with the egts that high and the probe isnt even that close to the head.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High EGT's + no tune overheating car? (gLok)

So you where boosting the car on a basemap that wasnt even set to run the 440's?
Old 12-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High EGT's + no tune overheating car? (BoostedEG6)

No, the basemap is setup for 440's but is not fine tuned. The tuner had to cut the session short due to the car running hot.

Basically im wondering if the car is even safe to drive to get it tuned today. I dont want to believe that its the headgasket causing the car to run hot than normal but i guess i wont really know until i get a computer hooked up to it again and see what temps its reading. The stock gauge isnt showing any difference in temperature.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High EGT's + no tune overheating car? (gLok)

oh ok.... have you checked for a air pocket? Sounds like that could be something to look into
Old 12-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High EGT's + no tune overheating car? (BoostedEG6)

Yeah, we jacked the front of the car up and tried to get any air pockets out. There were a few but not much, the car does not seem to be eating coolant either. When i replaced the thermostat i let the car run for 20 minutes and it did not get noticably hot, it took a while for the fan to even turn on.

Is it possible to have a blown headgasket but no signs of smoke in the tailpipe, coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant? If anything, the arp headstuds could be stretched and lifting at boost but wouldnt i see some signs of coolant in some of the areas i suggested?

One of the issues with this car is that it sat in a garage for 4 years and was put there by another local shop doing a hackjob on it and selling the customer on parts he did not need. Im fixing a lot of their problems.