Notices

Hesitation or Turbo Lag? whats the difference and how do i tell?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation or Turbo Lag? whats the difference and how do i tell?

ok i have this situation going on with my car. its a boosted b18c1 with a garrett t3/t04e (maxrev kit). i have a .65 spring in my tial. and has basic mods. (hks twinpower ignition amp, cam gears set at 0, ctr intake cam, mugen TL, skunk2 mani, hondata s200b, and 550ccs) once in a while it will lag when i press the gas pedal, seems like i cant do anything to make it pick up. im thinking maybe the cylinders get flooded and its causing my car to hesitate somewhat. funny thing is when this happens i look at the boost gauge and its in boost.... so im left clueless to what this it. its gonna be tuned very soon, but i wanna figure out if this is gonna be a problem, or if it can be solved when tuned. sometimes my idle drops pretty low too (600 rpm) and almost seems as the car is gonna die. its been acting up like this in this hot *** weather, at night it runs a lil better but not like the best. i still get this hesitation/turbo lag kinda deal. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys.

krazy
Old 08-11-2003, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hesitation or Turbo Lag? whats the difference and how do i tell? (krazy)

bump... anyone help me out?

krazy
Old 08-11-2003, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hesitation or Turbo Lag? whats the difference and how do i tell? (krazy)

Who did your tuning for you?

Hesitation usually feels like it's firing, but it's not. Sometimes it'll buck wildly like a bull with it's nutz tied up.

Lag is well....LAGGGG! I'd suggest re-tuning for part throttle response. Your tuner might have tuned it slightly rich to keep your motor from melting.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hesitation or Turbo Lag? whats the difference and how do i tell? (98CTRCoupe)

well im still on a basemap until i get strapped down on the dyno. would hesitation happen when i push the pedal, but the car barely moves, and after that it storms out like a bat outta hell? this things bothers me.... cant wait for it to be tuned. thanks for ur info man. anyone else like to add?

krazy
Old 08-11-2003, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get your car tuned your problem will go away.

running on a basemap is
Old 08-11-2003, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hesitation or Turbo Lag? whats the difference and how do i tell? (platinum00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by platinum00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get your car tuned your problem will go away.

running on a basemap is </TD></TR></TABLE>

hope so... i just needed to know if this was a problem outside of tuning or not. car will be tuned next month... no money for it now...

krazy
Old 08-11-2003, 04:14 PM

sounds like lag....when you push on the pedal and it just kinda feels liek its going nowhere and then all of a sudden picks up and takes off....that is turbo lag, i have it...its also where the efficency range of the turbo comes in, i build boost at 3500ish rpms but i dont start pulling hard till like 4500, which is when it falls into the efficeny range... so bewteen those rpms its just kinda like waiting waiting waiting BOOST!....nuttin you can do about it, hesitation would be like its miss firing and sputters, blubbers, "bucks around" kinda like its saying damn it i dont want to do this!! why are you making me!!! hesitation is annoying and can be fixed but lag is there and you cant do anything about that, just deal with it.......

Trav
Old 08-11-2003, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hesitation or Turbo Lag? whats the difference and how do i tell? (RexSiT3)

damn, that sucks then.. hehe. im hoping the tuning can help the transition from vac to boost be unnoticable. the lag certainly sucks though. i would wish when im not in boost (before 3500 rpm) the car would run like it did all motor, but no way it does. oh well.

krazy
Old 08-11-2003, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have not changed your compression, the car will run like stock N/A or prolly better once it's tuned when not in boost.

also your boost transition will feel like a stock turbo car. ( if tunned correctly )

platinum.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hesitation or Turbo Lag? whats the difference and how do i tell? (platinum00)

ok, ill wait and see what happens when its tuned. thanks for the info guys.

krazy
Old 08-11-2003, 07:30 PM

I'd suggest getting a more free flowing exhaust like custom or thermal.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:36 PM
ek9vboi

ima say u need an oil change! good luck wit yo problems.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hesitation or Turbo Lag? whats the difference and how do i tell? (Ovaltine)

i would, but i really dont want anything loud or big...

but sometimes i think the exhaust is killing my performance. whats not loud yet makes good power?

krazy
Old 08-12-2003, 08:02 AM

My thermal is quiet with the turbo, it was loud when i was n/a.....a turbo is like an additional muffler....it wont be that loud and they look extremly good
Old 08-12-2003, 10:04 AM

No I dont think its lag your describing. I had a similar problem where it would do that Its cause my timing was fully retarded on the distributor. Check your timing and see if that helps any.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nevin)

hmmm, ok ill check that out.

krazy
Old 11-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (krazy)

****..i have the same problem after i got uberdata basemap....with 450DSM injectors...i never had that problem before..i got the injectors and uberdata...???? it was boosting fine with stock injectors and ecu chip for more air and fuel...but after uberdata and DSM injectors..it lags.....then when it boost it fliesssssssss....i hated when it lags especially when im rolling and i floor it...it lags and boost....i hope this is boost lag but why didnt i have this problem before...??? i think we have the same probs..