Notices

Hesitation, Sputter or Mis-Fire? (not 56k friendly)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation, Sputter or Mis-Fire? (not 56k friendly)

Finally finished everything up lastnight . . . . I was driving around bumperless for a couple days since we were having piping clearance issues, and I was not boosting. I bolted on the flange for my downpipe to cover up the hole on the back of my turbo that was put there to convert it back to internal wastegate . . . . . after that I was making boost like no tomorrow.

* I gota say that t3/t4 turbos are hellah loud even while cruising * anyways as I was leaving a stoplight I gave it just a little gas nothing crazy and it kinda felt like it was either hesitaiting, or like it maybe mis-fired, so I turned around and went to put gas in my car thinking that maybe I was a little low, but turns out I still had like 3 gallons.

I am getting my downpipe made tomorrow and i'm trying not to drive my car much since I can't plug my o2 sensor in since there is no spot for it yet. I just made sure to turn the fuel up a little before I unplugged it and was running all motor to be sure I would run some what rich.

I did however get 2 step colder plugs, I just did not re-gap them, could that be why I kinda felt that little hesitation or mis-fire? I even felt it once on the highway at about 4500 rpms . . . .

any help is appreciated

here's some pics

Old 04-20-2004, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hesitation, Sputter or Mis-Fire? (Vtec92Civic)

Well it could be a number of things...

any CEL's?

sounds like it might be running a lil rich but what FMU are u running???

neeed more info
Old 04-20-2004, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hesitation, Sputter or Mis-Fire? (PRojectSi2)

right now no CEL Lights at all . . . current setup:

Drag Manifold
VAFC
DSM 450 Injectors
Walboro 255lph Fuel Pump
Turbonetics T3/T4 Turbo .63 a/r
Tial 35mm Wastegate
Greddy Type S BOV

*my o2 sensor is currently not plugged in ebcause there is no spot for it, but tomorrow my down pipe is being made, so I should have that squared away then*

I before I took off my headers and had my car N/A I did up the fuel a little to make sure that I was running a little more on the rich side so that I would be ok to drive it to get my exhaust work done, and since I was not going to have my o2 sensor plugged in I wanted to make sure I had more then enough fuel.

I believe I got my settings on the vafc starting at like -33 and I wind up with like -31 in the high rpms . . . that might be a little rich. I have not pulled the plugs to check it, and I remember my last setup running to rich did lead to some hesitation.

Could it be that my spark plugs are not gapped properly though?
Old 04-20-2004, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Hesitation, Sputter or Mis-Fire? (Vtec92Civic)

gap the plugs at 28. and put that o2 sensor back in and youll feel a big difference.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hesitation, Sputter or Mis-Fire? (project dc2)

QUOTE=project dc2]gap the plugs at 28. and put that o2 sensor back in and youll feel a big difference. [/QUOTE]

Thanks Philip

I been meaning to ask . . . what exactly does gapping the plugs do . . . beter spark? smoother idle?

what would be the difference between say gapping them at:

.40 as appose to .28?

I kinda thought it was the gaps on my plugs because my last setup I had them gapped at like .30 or .32 and this time I neevr gapped them at all.

I also keep getting a code 43 (fuel system) but my guess is possibly the o2 sensor not being able tor ead the exhaust is what might be causing that code.