Notices

Help with v-band flange on GT35R!

Old 12-21-2007, 09:05 PM
HT White Ops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with v-band flange on GT35R!

I just bought a GT3582R from a vendor on here and he had gotten it from Tial. Full-Race had previously made me a DP for the standard GT35R 3" v-band exhaust housing. Upon recieving my turbo I had just checked to see if the DP fit on and to my surprise the v-band on my DP was much bigger in diameter. I PMed Tial and he told me that there is no difference in his machined housing than that of the standard garrett housing. I am stumped so I went ahead and provided pictures.

see how my v-band flange is much larger in diameter?

Old 12-21-2007, 09:30 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Help with v-band flange on GT35R! (SD_Lurker)

Come on guys anyone?
Old 12-21-2007, 09:53 PM
HT White Ops

Also, the v-band you see me measuring is just another 3" one that I had laying around. Its the same one that FR used on my DP. They had mocked up my downpipe with the Garrett default 3" v-band outlet exhaust housing and it mated to the DP perfect. What I can't figure out is who went wrong? Is Tial's exhaust housing indeed the same as the standard one? Just trying to get to the bottom of this! I can't imagine that one v-band is suppose to be that much larger in diameter.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:01 AM
HT White Ops

???
Old 12-22-2007, 10:27 AM
HT White Ops

Geez, 135 views and knowone can lend a helping hand?

Old 12-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

whats the ID? is that a 2.75 housing with a 3" flange?
Old 12-22-2007, 11:46 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Help with v-band flange on GT35R! (JDMs1eeper)

I dunno but I ordered a 3" exhaust housing and Tial sent the vendor this. I measured it and the inside diameter is like 2.8. Yes its a 3 inch v-band but Tial told me there is no difference. I called Symapse and talked to Morgan and he used one of his v-bands and put it up to his Tial housing and it also was to big. Maybe Tial is unaware that there is indeed a difference in size. So I guess I am going to have to contact Tial and have them switch it with the standard housing that was originally ordered. My understanding is that Tial machines down 4 bolts to v-bands. When we ordered the turbo the vendor had asked for the standard garrett 3" exhaust housing but instead I recieved the machined one and I am pretty sure thats my problem.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:48 AM
HT White Ops

ID on the exhaust housing or garrett tag?
Old 12-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe turn it down in a lathe
Old 12-22-2007, 01:34 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (Brent L)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Brent L &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe turn it down in a lathe</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea problem solved but I don't have a lathe but then again the DP is already made so I wouldn't be able to put that on the lathe. I just want to know what the problem is. I bought a 3 inch v-band housing and it doesn't fit my 3" DP.

Modified by SD_Lurker at 2:58 PM 12/22/2007
Old 12-22-2007, 08:07 PM
HT White Ops

anyone else have any possible solution?
Old 12-22-2007, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think Precision has those. If not pm me and I will get you taken care of. We don't sell the GT35's but we can wip a flange out for you.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:42 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Help with v-band flange on GT35R! (turbodano)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbodano &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think Precision has those. If not pm me and I will get you taken care of. We don't sell the GT35's but we can wip a flange out for you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am going to just contact Tial in hopes that he will switch this exhaust housing for the one originally ordered. Precision has what? The flange? Thats the thing, Tial said its the same as the standard gt35r 3" v-band outlet but this flange doesn't fit and according to full race they mocked the DP off of a standard garrett 3" v-band housing. So instead of having my DP remade I will just get the proper housing that I originally ordered if thats indeed my issue.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes PTE has flanges like that.

Modified by turbodano at 9:11 PM 12/23/2007
Old 12-22-2007, 08:52 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbodano &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes PTE has flanges like that.

Good luck with Tail. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why do you say good luck with Tial? Tial has actually done things for me that I would have never thought he would do. Pretty good guys if you ask me. Also, the vendor ordered the standard 3"inch v-band housing and we received their machined housing so it would only be right for him to switch it for the proper one ordered. I have had several people tell me thats my problem but Tial said its the same so I am going to have to wait until he responds to my PM or call him next week.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SD_Lurker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why do you say good luck with Tial? Tial has actually done things for me that I would have never thought he would do. Pretty good guys if you ask me. Also, the vendor ordered the standard 3"inch v-band housing and we received their machined housing so it would only be right for him to switch it for the proper one ordered. I have had several people tell me thats my problem but Tial said its the same so I am going to have to wait until he responds to my PM or call him next week.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't mean what you are thinking. I was just wishing you luck on exchanging the turbine housing. Tial is a good company to deal with.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:05 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbodano &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I didn't mean what you are thinking. I was just wishing you luck on exchanging the turbine housing. Tial is a good company to deal with. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I am confused your comment is very misleading. Wishing me luck to exchange a exhaust housing. What exactly did you mean then? I don't see a problem with exchanging the housing for the standard one. Its not like they are losing money or I am coming up. Maybe I am just misunderstanding the comment in general.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:14 AM
HT White Ops

ttt
Old 12-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When i bought my 2nd 35r, i wanted the v-band housing.. These are garrett housings machined into a v-band... I bought regular 3" V-band flanges and it worked

Heres the kicker i bought another 35r with the same housing and bought it from the same person. He tells me a regular 3" v-band wont work I haven't gotten it yet as its in a shop getting a mani made...
Old 12-23-2007, 08:01 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Help with v-band flange on GT35R! (Quickgti1.8t)

Well it depends who machines it so I'm told. Tial told me its the same but there is not way it is. I dunno I am going to contact them ASAP and have it exchanged.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SD_Lurker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I am confused your comment is very misleading. Wishing me luck to exchange a exhaust housing. What exactly did you mean then? I don't see a problem with exchanging the housing for the standard one. Its not like they are losing money or I am coming up. Maybe I am just misunderstanding the comment in general. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I didnt really mean anything by it. Sorry about the way i said good luck. I will delete the post for you.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:23 AM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbodano &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I didnt really mean anything by it. Sorry about the way i said good luck. I will delete the post for you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You didn't need to do that, honestly. I wasn't offended by your comment at all. Sorry that we weren't seeing eye to eye. Thanks for your help though!
Old 12-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use the clampco 3" vband clamp. It will hold and seal. I have done so many many times. The .2" doesn't affect it enough to not seal etc.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:58 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by S2KP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you use the clampco 3" vband clamp. It will hold and seal. I have done so many many times. The .2" doesn't affect it enough to not seal etc. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I hear ya but I am to much of a perfectionist to let this slide. Its not right and it bugs the ever living sh.t out of me. BTW I was about to buy this turbo from you. Was yours the machined housing or the standard one?
Old 12-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one I was selling is machined. Someone with a lathe can turn it down to size pretty quickly. Good luck to ya

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with v-band flange on GT35R!