Notices

Help with turbo on stock Honda CRX 1.6 VTEC B16A

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with turbo on stock Honda CRX 1.6 VTEC B16A

I have searched the internerd and I have done calculations based on books from Turbochargers by Hugh MacInnes and Maximum Boost by Corky Bell.

My car:
Honda CRX 1.6 VTEC stock B16A with V-AFC and DC Sports ceramic coated header.

My goal:
Daily driven car with 225 HP. Competing 5 days a year with dragracing for fun. Reliability is important!

Calcuted:
Pressure ratio: 1,49
Air flow: 275 CFM / 19 lbs/min @ 7600 rpm
Boost: 0,5 bar / 7,25 PSI

I have looked at a lot of compressor-maps, and although not ideal I think the best option for me is a T3 Super 60.
I'm not sure what Manifold I should get. I don't want a log type but I want an equal length manifold. I've been thinking of buying a SSAutochrome (I know) and make some support for the turbo and the downpipe to prevent it from cracking. But that's not what I'm concernerd about. If you look into the collector, see thread, Ive noticed the sharp edges of the tubes. These sharp will cause some serious overheating problems and I don't think the material will sustain this kind of beating for a long time. Further I have noticed that the exit for the wastegate is pointing the opposite position of the exhaust flow making it hard for the exaust gasses to get to the wastegate. This will cause creeping.

Another option for me is the one made by toyosupr, but he's not doing this for a long time plus I haven't seen any dynographs of the manifold yet. The place of the wastegate is good, except from the 90 degree angle the exhaust gasses has to make (boost creep). Plus I haven't seen any pics of the inside of the collector, so I can't compare it to the SSAutochrome. Although everyone seem very positive about his manifolds.

Any other suggestions? I'm on a tight budget, so the expensive ones aren't an option... Plus I don't think they have to cost that much. Just look at the one made by toyosupr. And also I don't really know what A/R ratio I should get? Greater A/R means greater air flow/speed to the turbo (more isn't better), and lower means less. Any ideas?

Because I will be running 7,25 PSI I think I would be fine with the stock injectors / fuel pump / ECU. If not I can do the AFC-hack and put in 440cc injectors plus fuel pump.

IC-piping will be 2,5". Any larger will promote more lag.

Exhaust piping will be 3" all the way because I don't want anything to hold those exhaust gasses back from leaving my engine / turbo. (Restrainig the turbo from running freely)

So, I need some advice from all the people who have done this is practise. I know all in theory, but I want feedback from people out there in "the real world". Does the above make any sense?

Modified by JOeS at 4:29 PM 5/30/2004

Modified by JOeS at 4:38 PM 5/30/2004
Old 05-30-2004, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with turbo on stock Honda CRX 1.6 VTEC B16A (JOeS)

With the ECU, I mean the stock ECU. From what I have read in several forums is that the stock injectors / fuel pump / ECU are good enough for 7 PSI.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:03 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JOeS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With the ECU, I mean the stock ECU. From what I have read in several forums is that the stock injectors / fuel pump / ECU are good enough for 7 PSI.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well take everything you read, and put it aside in your mind, now research on this site (real world experiences) and compare the two. mathematical equations and real world will differ. The way I look at it if your going for a basic set-up why mess with something thats proven to work Like the old saying K.I.S.S keep it simple stupid.
With that said.
Stock injectors will not work for 7psi if you are running other then a fmu. I wouldn't recommend more then about 6psi on a fmu/stock injector but a lot have done it with no problems Yet.
If your going for reliability then your going to want to invest in tuning, something other then "hacking" or super high fuel pressures. Do it rite.
If all your looking for is 225whp then you should be fine with dsm 450's and a programmable tuning system such as hondata,uberdata,aem,etc... and a high flow pump for security.
It also comes down to how much money you have to spend. If you only have $2,500 for everything your going to be limited on what you can do and how much power you can run. If you have $4000 for everything your options are a lot better and more of them.
HP = money anyway you look at it.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with turbo on stock Honda CRX 1.6 VTEC B16A (b16ahybrid)

Thanx for your comments.

I know the most important thing is tuning. But because I live in the Netherlands, theres isn't any shop that can properly tune a turboed B16A. All the "tuning" shops are just garages who fit exhausts, lower cars, install air filters. Now and then they install turbo's and SC's. But there's no tuning. They don't even own a dyno!

So I have to do without the tuning and hope someones settings will run also fine with me. That's why I think of the AFC-hack, because I can watch the voltage of the O2-sensor myself.

I want 225 hp at the crank, not at the wheels. Do you have any suggstions about a manifold? And what turbo suits me best?
Old 05-30-2004, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm from holland running a turbocharged B16A
and your right about tuning shops over here
All I did was SEARCH SEARCH AND SEARCH on H-T there is tons of info here
and 225 flywheel hp is very easy to reach if that is your main goal
Old 05-30-2004, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Importracer_001)

Clint, right? I was reading your topics on SLH! Great time at Zandvoort!
Old 05-30-2004, 10:53 AM

Default Re: (JOeS)

clint so youre over here to.....welcome and i still would like to see youre set up

greets mike
Old 05-30-2004, 01:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JOeS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanx for your comments.

I know the most important thing is tuning. But because I live in the Netherlands, theres isn't any shop that can properly tune a turboed B16A. All the "tuning" shops are just garages who fit exhausts, lower cars, install air filters. Now and then they install turbo's and SC's. But there's no tuning. They don't even own a dyno!

So I have to do without the tuning and hope someones settings will run also fine with me. That's why I think of the AFC-hack, because I can watch the voltage of the O2-sensor myself.

I want 225 hp at the crank, not at the wheels. Do you have any suggstions about a manifold? And what turbo suits me best?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Got ya. I would look into uberdata if your tuning yourself. it's just like hondata but cheaper. It's also like running the afc hack but better because you have more control over the tuning. You sound like your confident in your ability to be able to street tune so I would honestly look into that route. It will be safer then running the hack.
225 crank hp is going to be a breeze for you, your just starting to wake that engine up. I'm at about 300 crank hp and still have room to make more.
Old 05-30-2004, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

225bhp, dont even bother with a 3" will probably create more backpressure at such low power output (and hence gas flow).

2.5" Ic pipes are too big too, with that power you shoudl be looking at T28 turbo off the Nissan SR20 lumps, Im using a Sunny Gtir unit (0.6 comp and 0.86 exhaust for a 10psi B16a1. Hope to make full boost by 3000rpm. Im a track man
Old 05-30-2004, 06:23 PM

Why would you only want 225 @ the crank? With that engine i've close to 300WHP on stock internals daily driven. I know what your goal is, I just asking because you can obtain that kind of hp from a SOHC with a turbo, Why just settle for that when you extract more?
Old 05-30-2004, 06:24 PM

Why would you only want 225 @ the crank? With that engine i've seen close to 300WHP on stock internals daily driven. I know what your goal is, I just asking because you can obtain that kind of hp from a SOHC with a turbo, Why just settle for that when you extract more?
Old 05-30-2004, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with turbo on stock Honda CRX 1.6 VTEC B16A (sl0w-m0)

Mike, it's Joe-San! I met you at Randalf's, I'm the brother of Joed (orange 200SX).

sl0w-m0, that kind of HP is easier with a SOHC because of the lower compression ratio. It's less prone to detonate...

JonnyCoupe, what inch exhaust piping do you recommend if 3" is too big? And what do you advice for IC-piping if 2,5"is also to big? I should be better of with a T28 off a Nissan SR20DET? That sucks, because my bro just sold a T28 turbo of a SR20DET! If I knew that...

You say a T3 Super 60 is too big for that amount of power, causing more turbo lag? And I will be out of the efficiency rate of the compressor?

b16ahybrid, what kind of motor are you running? And what are your specs? Because you have 300 at the crank. I have chosen 225, because eveyone think it's safe for a stock B16A from what I have read... Just want to be on the safe side. But if you have other recommendations, please explain and help me out!
Old 05-30-2004, 09:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JOeS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
sl0w-m0, that kind of HP is easier with a SOHC because of the lower compression ratio. It's less prone to detonate...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's a 10 times easier to get 225 hp out of your motor, then trying to get that out of a sohc.
Any motor is prone to detonation. Generally the higher the static compression before boost the more efficient it will be after boosted. Thats a general comsensus not a rule.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JOeS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
JonnyCoupe, what inch exhaust piping do you recommend if 3" is too big? And what do you advice for IC-piping if 2,5"is also to big?
!</TD></TR></TABLE>

You should be fine with 2.5'' exhaust and downpipe. Intercooler piping should be a minimum of 2'' 2.5'' should be fine (thats what I run).

You say a T3 Super 60 is too big for that amount of power, causing more turbo lag? And I will be out of the efficiency rate of the compressor?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes a t-3 super 60 would be out of it's efficiency range and not a good choice if your not looking to make more power.
Check out http://www.cheapturbo.com thay have good prices on new turbo's I would recomend the t3t40e .57 trim/ 63 A/R. it's a nice turbo for the street, makes decent power (i'm running one) and spools fairly quick.

b16ahybrid, what kind of motor are you running? And what are your specs? Because you have 300 at the crank. I have chosen 225, because eveyone think it's safe for a stock B16A from what I have read... Just want to be on the safe side. But if you have other recommendations, please explain and help me out!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm running a bone stock b16a. same as you.
I'm running the turbo listed above @12psi. I've ran this turbo for 2 1/2 years. I ran it at 9psi for 2 of them, and 12 for the last 4-5 months.
If your looking for a safe daily driven car, 250WHP is very easy to attain. I think once you get above 300whp your starting to limit the reliabilty of the engine for daily use, don't get me wrong there are tons of 300+whp b16a's running around out there just fine, (it's all in the tune) but thats a lot of stress for the engine to handle. with your tuning options i'd shoot for about 225-250whp and you'd be just fine.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:54 AM

"Mike, it's Joe-San! I met you at Randalf's, I'm the brother of Joed (orange 200SX)"

hey man youre here too nice to see so much dutch's dude's, looks like tuning is going to be better in the netherlands soon .

200 whp is nice to have dailydriven anymore would cause lots of wheelspin in this land of rain.
just for dragging i would go for more whp, but thats my opinion
Old 05-31-2004, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with turbo on stock Honda CRX 1.6 VTEC B16A (dutchmikkel)

Yeah 2.5 inch is fine for the exhaust, although 2.5" IC pipes when quite long have a hell of alot of volume to pressurise.

I just need to get my oil feed bought and make my downpipe and ill be boosted. Hoping for 280bhp over here. (DIN bhp, dunno what you guys use)

Using a HKS kit and trying to fit it so the compressor is on the passenger side (well yours guys driver side)

Cheer
Old 05-31-2004, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

b16ahybrid,

- What manifold are you running?
- And what intercooler do you advice?
Old 05-31-2004, 09:00 AM

I'm using a drag manifold.
I just picked up a new intercooler from street imports
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=774709
It looks to be really good quality for the price, i'm still in the process of fitting it to my car (need a few bolts). It looks real nice behind the bumber IMO.

Otherwise if your looking for a cheap used intercooler one from a starion will work great too.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

b16ahybrid,

That intercooler looks great. I also saw them on ebay, too bad they only ship in th US.

I'm also looking at manifolds from Rev Hard (equal length RHF-18EQ) and SFP. Does anyone know where I can buy the Rev Hard manifold? Because the dealers on the Rev Hard site doesn't show their prices on their sites, except for one of them: $ 724,-. But I want to compare prices from other shops.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JOeS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">b16ahybrid,

That intercooler looks great. I also saw them on ebay, too bad they only ship in th US.

I'm also looking at manifolds from Rev Hard (equal length RHF-18EQ) and SFP. Does anyone know where I can buy the Rev Hard manifold? Because the dealers on the Rev Hard site doesn't show their prices on their sites, except for one of them: $ 724,-. But I want to compare prices from other shops.</TD></TR></TABLE>

try contacting them about shipping the intercooler maybe they can work something out for you, you never know.

As far as buying the manifolds, try contacting sponsors on here, they may be able to locate one for you. The sfp manifolds are nice and last time I checked they were rite around $400.
That price for the revahard seems high, IMO I wouldn't pay that much for one. If your going to spend that kind of money, look into a fullrace manifold I've geard nothing but good things about them and from the dyno sheets I've seen they do produce some nice power.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanx b16ahybrid, I emailed Street Imports if they're willing to ship to the Netherlands. We'll see...

Where did u see the sfp manifold for $400? I tried contacting some moderators to help me get in touch with some suppliers. Arturbo told me that I had to contact Gravy. But since I'm a trial member I cannot PM him and his email is private. I guess I have to wait till I'm permitted to pm...
Old 06-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Unfotunately Street Imports doesn't ship to the Netherlands
Old 06-04-2004, 04:06 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JOeS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unfotunately Street Imports doesn't ship to the Netherlands </TD></TR></TABLE>

that sucks.
I got a quote of about $400 when I was looking for a manifold. I needed one ASAP so I had to go with a drag (had it already). SFP said it would be 2-3 weeks before i'd get it. This was about 3 years ago though, they have probably jacked their prices up because people want the manifolds now.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16ahybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that sucks.
I got a quote of about $400 when I was looking for a manifold. I needed one ASAP so I had to go with a drag (had it already). SFP said it would be 2-3 weeks before i'd get it. This was about 3 years ago though, they have probably jacked their prices up because people want the manifolds now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess so, because now it's $ 500. I'm trying to get a used one in the classified forum. But it really sucks, because I cannot respond in that forum or send a PM because I'm still a trial member