Notices

Help...Tial blow off valve stuck open during idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help...Tial blow off valve stuck open during idle

I recently installed my lsd and clutch. I put the vacuum/boost hoses back on the way they were before (had to take tons of crap off to get the tranny down)...but for some reason, my tial bov is stuck open. I noticed it's open during idle. If I shut the engine off, it closes.

Then I can hear it making the bov valve noise when shifting. And I check again, it's still stuck open at idle.

So then I unscrewed the banjo bolt on top of the bov just a little bit, and it was closed during idle.

Have I hooked something up wrong? I have no idea why it's doing this, I've checked and rechecked...even looked at old pics of when it was first installed.

I noticed it doesn't seem as powerful when I go into boost a little bit. I'm of course not hauling ***, as I just installed a new clutch.

Any ideas?
Old 12-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help...Tial blow off valve stuck open during idle (02SilverSiHB)

The tial is suppose to be open during idle. Mine has always been open and no problems.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Help...Tial blow off valve stuck open during idle (BodyKits NW)

mine too, I think all Tial's do that.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...what? How much is it open?

Mine doesn't open under idle. But then again I'm @5600ft so I dunno if that has anything to do with it.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help...Tial blow off valve stuck open during idle (FOrSfEd)

yeah, I did some searching, I guess some have it open during idle, while others don't...not sure why others do and some don't. Maybe it was always that way...could have sworn it was always closed. But since it works during driving, it must be fine...thanks guys.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it has to do with the different spring rates that tial sells with the BOV. I had the 7lb spring and my BOV was open at idle as well, then I switched to the 9lb spring and it stays closed at idle.

scott
Old 12-06-2004, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I know that Tial makes a stiff, and soft spring for the BOVs. I wonder if some got the soft, while others got the stiff?

Old 12-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bryson)

spring rate should be listed on the outside of the box the BOV came in. I think they come in either 7lb, 9lb and 11lb.

scott
Old 12-06-2004, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (scooter)

mine came as is...installed with the turbo kit.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think mine has the 11lbs spring because it doesn't work unless i was boosting 12psi or more....i thought it was stuck and wasn't working at all but tony was able push it open. it wouldn't even work sometimes but over time (a few months) i could begin to here it working almost all the time. Mine stays closed at idle.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But...for all of you...yours flutters at low boost or Part throtal when you let off right?

Mines does, but I've heard that some make a standard swoosh.

Old 12-06-2004, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here's how mine sounds...just right click save target as
http://www.we-todd-did-racing....DE%3D
Old 12-06-2004, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (02SilverSiHB)

Yup when I got mine, I had a very stiff spring and it won't open at all, I then cut it (yes I know, NOT suggested!!!) it worked but will open during idle.

As far as I know here are the spring rates/color:
Silver is the standard 11 psi
Black is 7 psi
White is 9 psi
Old 12-06-2004, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hrmm, yeah I bet mine flutters because I have the higher spring rate.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, I just called VSV...the guys there are the ones who installed the entire kit. They said it should be closed. Now I remember for sure that it was always closed during idle. I asked my friend who was watching my bov way back when I first got the car turboed and he specifically remembers it being closed.

VSV says I need to datalog and that will tell them what psi spring I need...I have to give them the readings at idle, then on a down rev.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:15 PM
H-T White Ops

My Tial is open at idle FWIW.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 02SilverSiHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, I just called VSV...the guys there are the ones who installed the entire kit. They said it should be closed. Now I remember for sure that it was always closed during idle. I asked my friend who was watching my bov way back when I first got the car turboed and he specifically remembers it being closed.

VSV says I need to datalog and that will tell them what psi spring I need...I have to give them the readings at idle, then on a down rev.</TD></TR></TABLE>
It is a simple calculation really. Take the vacume you pull at idle and divide it in half. Example, if you pull 14in you would need a 7# spring. Hope that helped.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SJersey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SJersey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is a simple calculation really. Take the vacume you pull at idle and divide it in half. Example, if you pull 14in you would need a 7# spring. Hope that helped. </TD></TR></TABLE>
****, in that case, I need a 14psi spring, I don't think tial makes that. I ordered a 7 and 9 psi spring since the 11psi is in the tial now. So can I put two springs in a at once? Say a 7 and 9psi spring to make 16psi spring?
Old 12-10-2004, 02:52 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 02SilverSiHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
****, in that case, I need a 14psi spring, I don't think tial makes that. I ordered a 7 and 9 psi spring since the 11psi is in the tial now. So can I put two springs in a at once? Say a 7 and 9psi spring to make 16psi spring?</TD></TR></TABLE>

they reach an elastic point where they aren't additive, kinda move in a logarithmic fashion, so in other words NO! j/k. but yea the bov can be open at idle because of vaccum pressure overcoming the spring thats all, and its a good and ok thing.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (snoochtodanooch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snoochtodanooch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they reach an elastic point where they aren't additive, kinda move in a logarithmic fashion, so in other words NO! j/k. but yea the bov can be open at idle because of vaccum pressure overcoming the spring thats all, and its a good and ok thing. </TD></TR></TABLE>
ah, yeah, that does make since, I see what you are saying. I just never noticed it before. I guess I don't like it being open since at idle I may be in a dusty climate...texas...so that dust could get in the engine a bit.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:59 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 02SilverSiHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess I don't like it being open since at idle I may be in a dusty climate...texas...so that dust could get in the engine a bit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You wouldn't see much dust under your hood. Even if you have a damn dust storm going on your engine compartment is pretty safe. I think the amount of crap you might suck in is negligible.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:10 PM

Default Re: (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You wouldn't see much dust under your hood. Even if you have a damn dust storm going on your engine compartment is pretty safe. I think the amount of crap you might suck in is negligible.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree, but hey, if you were REALLY worried about it, you could put a sock over it....lol
Old 12-10-2004, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (snoochtodanooch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snoochtodanooch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i agree, but hey, if you were REALLY worried about it, you could put a sock over it....lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol..I guess you guys are right, I'm just worrying about something that doesn't need to be worried about
Old 01-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, a month later, it's fixed. I installed a 9psi spring and it works great so far. The tial is closed at idle...oh, and I had a 7psi spring in there before