Notices

Help smog required on built motor with jrsc

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Help smog required on built motor with jrsc

my 98'' integra gsr is up for smog this nov. and i know it wont pass and i need to go to a test only place heres the setup! does anyone know what i could do or have any conections lmk asap thanks.
gsr head and block
jrsc 5 psi
sk2 pro 1 cams
usdm itr pistons
rc 440 injectors
comptech ice box intake
jdm 4-1 itr replica header with heat shield
buddy club spec 3 catback with magna flow muffler tip
hondata s100 ecu!
Old 11-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help smog required on built motor with jrsc

im stumped!
Old 11-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What do you guys do in this situation!
Old 11-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any help at all!
Old 11-09-2009, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

find someone that you can pay to pass , your car will never pass being obd1 now. thats what sucks about obd2 cars switching to obd1 i have the same prob in my 96 ek im just going to pay someone to pass it
Old 11-09-2009, 05:02 AM

I live in Ohio and have the same problem with a 2000 Prelude and Hondata 300. I went to the state run E-check and was told that I could make a list of the modifications along with pictures, take the information to the license bureau, and get a special license plate that would exempt the car from e-check. It will cost more, but the only other solution is to put the electronics back to stock obd2. Maybe you could give that a try, but California, probably not.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by uncledan
I live in Ohio and have the same problem with a 2000 Prelude and Hondata 300. I went to the state run E-check and was told that I could make a list of the modifications along with pictures, take the information to the license bureau, and get a special license plate that would exempt the car from e-check. It will cost more, but the only other solution is to put the electronics back to stock obd2. Maybe you could give that a try, but California, probably not.
did you try this or know anyone who has ?? because i would def do that if it would work in NJ infact im going to go to the dmv and see what is this special reg called ??
Old 11-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by poorhonda
find someone that you can pay to pass , your car will never pass being obd1 now. thats what sucks about obd2 cars switching to obd1 i have the same prob in my 96 ek im just going to pay someone to pass it
Actually, in California they are only supposed to hook up the port scanner on 2000 and later cars. The 98 should be able to pass if the cat is good and the emissions are clean, and the tech doesn't notice the illegal parts.

JRSC has carb cert. Cams are hidden. Comptech ice box has carb cert. JDM replica w/ heatshield will look stock.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All obd2 cars are required to have the computer checked by the smog machine, not 2000 and up. Only way you get away without the check is if it is over 15000 lbs GVWR. Otherwise your screwed. And any smog tech that doesn't know what a supercharger looks like needs to be caught. Your only chance is to either pay someone to pass it which would be taking a risk for them because the smog machine reads the vin from the ecu but it does not match it up right away.

Or just take the supercharger off and smog it then put it back on? WHy pay someone 300-400 to smog the car?
Old 11-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TunerN00b
Actually, in California they are only supposed to hook up the port scanner on 2000 and later cars. The 98 should be able to pass if the cat is good and the emissions are clean, and the tech doesn't notice the illegal parts.

JRSC has carb cert. Cams are hidden. Comptech ice box has carb cert. JDM replica w/ heatshield will look stock.
So how should i go about this im so confused! i was expecting this year to just go to a smog/repair station cause it was everyother year that you needed to go to a test only place but they changed the laws for 98" and older cars, last year at the test only they hooked it up the port scanner! but i still had a built motor in n.a trim! but had bc3+ cams and i took the s100 out and put my stock ecu back in along with the cat and injectors and stock header and i passed the second time! so they wont hook up the port this time so i dont have to worrie about the hondata obd1 ecu, and put my cat back on but would i need to wire the second o2 sensor back up? i dont see the point it should just be there for them to see the cat or will they check the connections? i dont know how my motor will react if i put the stock injectors and ecu back in with a jrsc on it maybe i can tie open the bypass but im not sure if it will run good enough with the sk2 pro1 cams and pass i dont want my motor to blow on there smog test cause then i will be verry angry at the poor guy! does anyone know somewhere in s.d that can hook me up pls p.m me asap thanks.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I missed the intake, unless it has a eo# it will fail. The header will need a eo#, Injectors would to as it modifies the fuel system cams and pistons wont matter because you cant see them. Adjustable cam gears are going to have to have an eo# very soon as well. CAtback doesn't matter as long as the cat is there and the second o2 is there.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vtec mini
All obd2 cars are required to have the computer checked by the smog machine, not 2000 and up. Only way you get away without the check is if it is over 15000 lbs GVWR. Otherwise your screwed. And any smog tech that doesn't know what a supercharger looks like needs to be caught. Your only chance is to either pay someone to pass it which would be taking a risk for them because the smog machine reads the vin from the ecu but it does not match it up right away.

Or just take the supercharger off and smog it then put it back on? WHy pay someone 300-400 to smog the car?
Its not that easy nor simple to just take off the suppercharger and smog it! what about the cams! the timing! fuel maps even with the stock ecu it will still be hard! i talked to shawn from churches and i can try putting the stock ecu and injectors and tie open the bypass and put the cat back on and there can be a chance it can pass hopefully but id still pay up instead of taking all that crap off back to stock!
Old 11-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know where you guys are getting your info from but no smog laws were changed last year for 98 and older cars or for test only stations. I know because I own three of them. Every time you go to get your car smogged at any station they will hook up the obd2 if it is under 15000lbs GVWR. I looked on the jackson website and the kit is legal under eo# is d-344-11 go to this link http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/de...o/D-344-11.pdf

Put the cat on and YES hook up the rear O2, I look for everything on all honda's and acuras as I am sure most techs do. Try to make it as stock as possible and put stock ecu back in with the stock injectors. It wont run with the big injectors in it and it wont blow up because your not in boost on the dyno, the ecu has to have fuel control and to be in closed loop on the dyno. Don't work about blowing it up just don't stomp on it.

Everyone wants to get past the smog, well if you make it look stock and have eo#'s what can they say? Print that link out and give it to the smog guy before he tests the car. If your really worried about it get a pre-test. The state doesn't care if the car fails they just want it fixed.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't say anything about the cams and they are not going to check the timing because the emissions label does not require them to on a 98. Pistons would only create nox if the compression was really high, but as you used us itr pistons it will be fine, I doubt those cams will do anything either.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vtec mini
I don't know where you guys are getting your info from but no smog laws were changed last year for 98 and older cars or for test only stations. I know because I own three of them. Every time you go to get your car smogged at any station they will hook up the obd2 if it is under 15000lbs GVWR. I looked on the jackson website and the kit is legal under eo# is d-344-11 go to this link http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/de...o/D-344-11.pdf

Put the cat on and YES hook up the rear O2, I look for everything on all honda's and acuras as I am sure most techs do. Try to make it as stock as possible and put stock ecu back in with the stock injectors. It wont run with the big injectors in it and it wont blow up because your not in boost on the dyno, the ecu has to have fuel control and to be in closed loop on the dyno. Don't work about blowing it up just don't stomp on it.

Everyone wants to get past the smog, well if you make it look stock and have eo#'s what can they say? Print that link out and give it to the smog guy before he tests the car. If your really worried about it get a pre-test. The state doesn't care if the car fails they just want it fixed.
Great news! but i believe it did change cause a few years back my smog was needed to be tested at a test only every other year! my first year owning the car it was needed at a repair/ smog only! then the next year it needed a test only so this year i expected to go to a repair/smog station but my dmv paper says it needs a tet only now or a gold station repair shop. either way im gonna try to pay someone or throw some stock parts back and try to pass ill let you guys know what happens sad part this is my daily driver so no pass smog- no drive
Old 11-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got all my stock stuff back in, thats my stock header, cat, injectors and ecu now im throwing codes
p1259- vtec system malfuntion
p1337- crank shaft speed sensor no sigal
p0141- secondary o2 sensor circuit malfuntion.
now i have no idea why i would have a vtec malfunction it worked fine when it was the way it was before with the hondata ecu and injectors ect..
and i cant remember why my crank sensor isnt hooked up i think it was because i was going obd1 so it wouldnt read anyway i think and also i think i have a weak connection on the wiring job i did on the second o2 sensor any input will help me even tonight cause i want to try smogging it tomarrow!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Ldo
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to bring back this old thread, but what happened at the smog test? Did you manage to get it to pass?
Old 02-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ldo
Sorry to bring back this old thread, but what happened at the smog test? Did you manage to get it to pass?
yes just paid someone $250 lol
Old 02-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

move to fl.lol
Old 02-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In Oklahoma we don't even have vehicle inspections and the several times I've been pulled over the cops don't even look at anything. Cali is cool, but not if you own a modded car.....