Help rebuilding turbonetics 60-1 t3t4

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help rebuilding turbonetics 60-1 t3t4

Hey h-t

So Saturday my turbo decided to take a poop

The bearing went to nothing and the compressor wheel began riding on the housing , chewed up some blades as well .

I have the entire turbo taken apart , and need some hands on help rebuilding this unit .

If any one is the allentown pa / nj area that be willing to help me out I'd greatly appreciate it

Now what I have been stumped with is: for ex. If the chra is damaged beyond use, may I use a complete garrett chra with shaft and wheels and slap it right into the turbonetics turbine housing and put the conpressor housing over it as well ??

Thanks ht
Old 09-09-2013, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help rebuilding turbonetics 60-1 t3t4

Bumpppp for needing help lol
Old 09-10-2013, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dang 150 views not one response .. SHEESH !!

Someone anything ?

Bunppp
Old 09-11-2013, 08:53 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can't do this rebuild on your own due to the wheel damage

First you need to locate a new wheel and find the proper rebuild kit

BUT

Before doing any of this make sure the compressor housing and backplate aren't damaged to the point of needing replacement

The problem is rebalancing the turbo once assembled. You cannot do this on your own. And since you need a new comp wheel, despite the fact that it's 0 balanced as a separate component, the whole turbo needs to be balanced before operation

So I suggest finding a new wheel and the proper rebuild kit and shipping the turbo and everything to a reputable rebuilder

Now you can clean up all of the old components, focusing largely on the center section and the comp housing to smooth out any knicks/damage to the comp wheel. And you need to give the center section a large part of your time as well. Making sure the interior is spotless, no coked oil, bearing debris, clogged oiling ports etc

Remove all of the old stuff from the center section including the old bearing retaining c clips. Put new components in and reinstall the compressor backplate/thrust bearing retainer, install the piston ring very carefully on the turbine shaft making sure not to deform or bend it in any way then put the turbine heat shield on the turbine side of the chra then insert the shaft (I oil it and the piston ring to make installation easier)

When the shaft gets down to the piston ring, turn the shaft a few rotations to properly locate and seat the piston ring, then with your hand give it a good push. It should pop right it. If it doesn't DO NOT FORCE IT AND DON'T USE A HAMMER. You can damage the piston ring, turbine shaft ane center section. If this happens make sure everything is cleaned and well lubricated. Make sure the piston ring wasn't damaged when you put it on the shaft

Assuming it went in smooth, place the compressor wheel on the shaft making sure it seats properly, the put the shaft nut on (I like to use a little thread locker like loctite blue or red) and torque it to 20 INCH POUNDS.

Now all you need to do is find someone to balance it for you. If you have any diesel repair shops in your area normally they have the proper equipment to rebuild turbos and balance them as unit in house. If not they have a source they ship them to

I cannot stress enough the need to balance the turbo. If you don't you might as well be using an eBay China special turbo because it will fail with the quickness. Wasting your time and money and potentially damaging the turbo beyond any reasonable level of repair
Old 09-11-2013, 09:04 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm so proud.. *sniffle*.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Haha. I told you I'm basically a turbo wizard now m, although rebuilding a turbo is a fairly easy task if you know what you're doing and pay attention. I've rebuilt a couple turbos for friends but obviously I can't balance them but I do know of a local diesel shop that has a VSR unit to balance in house. So I can either tell them to bring it there or send it myself and charge for the rebuild, shipping and a small fee for the effort lol

Mac, just call me "mini you" lol
Now you know why you need me to come up and help around the shop