Notices

Help! oily air coming out of the valve cover and slighlty erratic idle?

Old 10-29-2002, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! oily air coming out of the valve cover and slighlty erratic idle?

Please, please someone help! Only done a hundred miles on my b16a with the drag 3 kit. The wastegate was left closed and waz running full boost. Now there's an oily smoke coming out of the valve cover breather, the engine has a little judder like it's pinging or detonating at idle, or when you drive off. theres no smoke coming from the exhaust or anywhere else. i have abit too much oil in the engine, but my mechanic says dont worry, it's normal for the smoke, just put a filter on the end of it or it could be that my valve seals have gone. i still havent fitted the J&S ultrasafeguard or boost gauge it also needs to be tuned as its got an aftermarket chip that advanced timing while it was stock.

Can some1 tell me what it could be? being in the UK doesnt help, not much boosters or even tuners. i have a fear it could be something with the pistons or rings? but this is gonna cost me a helluva lot more. i dont wanna drive it now incase something else goes wrong. please help......
Old 10-29-2002, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Help! oily air coming out of the valve cover and slighlty erratic idle? (fiaz79)

My buddy turboed his type r and had the same problem he has a cracked piston do a compression check.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:08 AM
New User

Default Re: Help! oily air coming out of the valve cover and slighlty erratic idle? (fiaz79)

You have the preliminary signs of blowby. It will get worse. Most likely it is a cracked ring or ringland.

Do a compression check, a leakdown test, or pull the head to find out.

Sorry man.

Randy
Old 10-29-2002, 04:16 AM

How much boost is full boost on your kit, or do you not know???

You really shouldn't run much more than 6-8psi on stock internals, if you are it's gonna cost ya.

BTW how long has it been turboed as there are very few turboed cars over here in the UK
Old 10-29-2002, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Help! oily air coming out of the valve cover and slighlty erratic idle? (crxste)

it's only been turbocharged for two weeks, i guess i was hitting around 15psi as the wastegate was not open. waz gonna feature it in maxpower or banzai. anyway, cant it be the valve seals or something else and also how long can i boost at the lower level of 7.5 psi at the moment before it gives up on me? I might as well get hold of another complete engine for a few hundred bucks rather than a rebuild, but then again, would you know anyone in the UK who can modify the lower block eg/ pistons, rods and low compressiong at a reasonable price?? i'm on a very very tight budget! all the money's gone on the drag kit!! mind you i'll still feature it in the mag probably by next month...
Old 10-29-2002, 07:04 AM

good luck to ya gettin a featured mate, im also from the UK and have a EG civic turbo running a custom turbo set up at 10psi, 17's lowered, bodywork, stripped intereior wurthg buckets etc, mags were not intestested as they have all already featured turbo hondas either from the uk or the US!!
Old 10-29-2002, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help! oily air coming out of the valve cover and slighlty erratic idle? (deacs)

Definetly blow by... sounds like broken ring lands. Get some new forged pistons for $450 USD or so and you'll be in good shape again.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Help! oily air coming out of the valve cover and slighlty erratic idle? (4 Stroke)

will the broken ring cause problems in the long run? i mean what about boosting at low levels for a little while and not nailing it hard, will i see more probs? or can i survive at low boost?? eg/ 7.5psi and some good tuning?
Old 10-29-2002, 09:53 AM

will the broken ring cause problems in the long run? i mean what about boosting at low levels for a little while and not nailing it hard, will i see more probs? or can i survive at low boost?? eg/ 7.5psi and some good tuning?
yeah, i agree definitely sounds like blowby. cracked piston rings... do a compression test to be sure.
but the same exact thing happened to me.

I'd be careful running it like that. You might break something else along the way. The smoke is probably going to get greater. And I could be wrong, but isn't there a possibility of damaging the cylinder walls?

i say rent a geo metro for a couple of days, and get it taken care of asap. good luck
Old 10-29-2002, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Help! oily air coming out of the valve cover and slighlty erratic idle? (Ruckus138)

your motor is damaged. fix it now (for less)or suffer a complete meltdown by driving on broken parts.(and buy yourself a new block)

remember with a broken ring land , you now have loose metal scraping up the insides of your cylinder. if one piece breaks off into the turbo.... you can say goodbye to that too.

[Modified by Turbo E, 11:44 AM 10/29/2002]
Old 10-29-2002, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i guess i was hitting around 15psi as the wastegate was not open
Your lucky if all you have is a broken ringland or pistons rings that need to be replaced. Was this tuned at all? Or did you just bolt the kit on and boost 15psi?
Old 10-29-2002, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Help! oily air coming out of the valve cover and slighlty erratic idle? (GudeH23a)

the kit was just bolted on, no tuning or anything My mechanic thinks that i have too much oil in the engine and not to worry, though i'm gonna do a compression test this weekend (praying it will be okay) if it is bad, then i'll need to change pistons and rings but which should i use and also what headgasketand compression shall i run?
Old 10-29-2002, 02:14 PM
New User

Your mechanic needs to find a new dayjob. Jesus christ...15psi untuned..stock injectors too? My guesses...95, 120, 90, 170. Good luck on the test.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the kit was just bolted on, no tuning or anything My mechanic thinks that i have too much oil in the engine and not to worry, though i'm gonna do a compression test this weekend (praying it will be okay) if it is bad, then i'll need to change pistons and rings but which should i use and also what headgasketand compression shall i run?
I really dont mean to sound like a jerk, but your mechanic is a moron. Your motor is fucked, you blew it. End of story.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i still havent fitted the J&S ultrasafeguard or boost gauge it also needs to be tuned as its got an aftermarket chip that advanced timing while it was stock.
D'oh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! It looks bad for you. Should have never done that.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:31 PM

I suggest you find a new mechanic!

Get your motor rebuilt now before you do any more harm to it. Do not drive the car anymore.

Old 10-29-2002, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Help! oily air coming out of the valve cover and slighlty erratic idle? (ekb18c)

Get your motor rebuilt now before you do any more harm to it. Do not drive the car anymore.

read up on turbo basics too
Old 10-31-2002, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Help! oily air coming out of the valve cover and slighlty erratic idle? (downpipe)

just did the compression test, number 2 is a bummer! looks like the piston ring or ring land is gone! fu*k What can i do now?? do i just replace the piston rings or the pistons as well?? can some1 tell me what headgasket i should also run this time? how thick and if needed what pistons and friction?
Old 10-31-2002, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im with ya buddy...same thing happened to mine. I need to return home and see what my problem is. so...bump to the top for you im curious to what they are going to say
Old 10-31-2002, 09:14 AM

check to see how bad the damage is, and have it assesed by a professional in your area. sometimes it can be fixed, other times you're screwed. whatever you do, don't drive it.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Help! oily air coming out of the valve cover and slighlty erratic idle? (lazerus)

yes, don't drive it. you may wind up scorign your cyliner walls beyond an easier repair....of course, i used this as a nice excuse to resleeve...
Old 10-31-2002, 11:40 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Help! oily air coming out of the valve cover and slighlty erratic idle? (downpipe)

read up on turbo basics too