Notices

HELP!!!! OIL STREAMING OUT FROM HEAD/BLOCK UNDER DISTRIBUTOR!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! OIL STREAMING OUT FROM HEAD/BLOCK UNDER DISTRIBUTOR!!!!!

OK, here's the situation:

Freshly built motor, B16A head off my old motor...built B18C bottom end..

I went to start the motor (the first time I was by myself) and all of a sudden I noticed the motor was leaking oil...i mean not a little oil...it was gushing out like it had a hole in the block or sumthin...when I hear the oil hit the floor, I immediately shut off the engine and look under the car...I thought it was coming from the oil cooler or oil seperator, but that suspicion was killed today...

Today, I give it another look...double and triple check everything, refill it w/ oil, and start it...this time, I had my dad start it so I could look at the motor..well, he starts, it, it starts for about 5 seconds, and then I see it...THERE"S OIL LEAKING OUT FROM THE CYLINDER HEAD! it's coming from where the head attaches to the block, under the distributor...leaking out in a stream about 2-3 inches wide...

what could it be? warped block? head gasket on backwards? I know for a fact that the head cannot be warped, just took it off my stock motor i've been driven around on for 4 years...HELP!!
Old 11-02-2004, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!!!! OIL STREAMING OUT FROM HEAD/BLOCK UNDER DISTRIBUTOR!!!!! (TheSwift1)

did you have the headgasket installed in the up position?
Old 11-02-2004, 05:06 PM

Default Re: HELP!!!! OIL STREAMING OUT FROM HEAD/BLOCK UNDER DISTRIBUTOR!!!!! (B18C1CYA)

umm...i thought I did!??? not sure now

how do you know what position is "up"?

Modified by TheSwift1 at 2:19 AM 11/3/2004
Old 11-02-2004, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!!!! OIL STREAMING OUT FROM HEAD/BLOCK UNDER DISTRIBUTOR!!!!! (TheSwift1)

no offense, it sounds like you built the engine and you have no clue on how to do it correctly, out head gasket have the word UP stamped on the gasket, its pretty simple, but also easy to over look, do a compression test and see if that cylinder by the distributor is low, cylinder 4
Old 11-02-2004, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just look real close at the water passages around the bore it will be punched out
" UP" , cus when its not in the right way you block the oil feed to head and the oil just blows out between the block and head. so just go get a new gasket and make shure you install it with "UP" faceing up, another way to check is look and the very front corner by the trans, the tag will be silver on the gasket , if its not then you know for shure it in wrong.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP!!!! OIL STREAMING OUT FROM HEAD/BLOCK UNDER DISTRIBUTOR!!!!! (B18C1CYA)

lol .....upside down and backwards.... dowl pins are only on one side. LOL ive done that before, not thinking anything of it.

oh well. whats it take to fix, 45 minutes and 50 bucks for a new gasket.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i never even realized you could install it backwards????

i hope you didnt re use the OEM head studs.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:15 PM

Default Re: HELP!!!! OIL STREAMING OUT FROM HEAD/BLOCK UNDER DISTRIBUTOR!!!!! (Dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol .....upside down and backwards.... dowl pins are only on one side. LOL ive done that before, not thinking anything of it.

oh well. whats it take to fix, 45 minutes and 50 bucks for a new gasket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

45 mins to change a b-series head? that includes quite a bit if you factor in that the head studs are directly below the cams and that even after you get the new one in that includes re assembly and timing job which usually sucks on my teg or most any honda. The HG job lasts a bit more than 45 mins working by yourself...
Old 11-02-2004, 07:22 PM

Default Re: (Turbo E 604)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo E 604 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i never even realized you could install it backwards????

i hope you didnt re use the OEM head studs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ARP head studs..

damn...i really hate the fact that i have to bust the head down again, not to mention unbolt the supercharger (did I mention I had a JRSC? )

but i'm mostly very relieved because it is something very simple...but damn it, how could I have been so dumb! i feel like a n00b

thanx for all the input guys! now I can go to bed...
Old 11-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

on a side note, does he really need a new HG? as it really hasnt been used?

or cuz its possible been installed backwards and the HG is dimpled/damaged?

Old 11-03-2004, 04:33 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo E 604 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on a side note, does he really need a new HG? as it really hasnt been used?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm...good question...anybody know? better to be safe than sorry though, so maybe I should get another one...
Old 11-03-2004, 04:47 AM

UPDATE: I love you guys!!!! You were right! I put the friggin head gasket on backwards...i looked at my old one and noticed the "up" stamp on it, then it was obvious that it was on upside down...i never even noticed that because I sprayed the new one w/ copper spray and didn't give it a second thought! ohh well, live and learn...i'm so relieved now...thanks!!
Old 11-03-2004, 05:02 AM

i did my own head swap on my b18c1 and the head gasket had a side that said up... it was comatic head gasket very nice to..
Old 11-03-2004, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

before u think is a head gasket
make sure its not from the distribuitor oil seal, or the valve cover b reather
Old 11-03-2004, 08:35 AM

Default Re: (USDM 4G VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDM 4G VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">before u think is a head gasket
make sure its not from the distribuitor oil seal, or the valve cover b reather</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanx, but it WAS the head gasket...it was in there upside down
Old 11-03-2004, 09:00 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo E 604 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on a side note, does he really need a new HG? as it really hasnt been used?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

that head gasket is considered used once the head studs are torqued down and should be replaced even if the engine hasn't started.

many people re-use old hg's with no problem however
Old 11-03-2004, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Stewie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stewie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that head gasket is considered used once the head studs are torqued down and should be replaced even if the engine hasn't started.

many people re-use old hg's with no problem however</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're as picky as me, $50-75 for a new HG is worth the piece of mind.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:09 AM
Banned

Default Re: (Stewie)

Yea replace the headgasket. It would also be wise to deck and resurface the head and/or block at this time.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!!!! OIL STREAMING OUT FROM HEAD/BLOCK UNDER DISTRIBUTOR!!!!! (Habmike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Habmike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

45 mins to change a b-series head? that includes quite a bit if you factor in that the head studs are directly below the cams and that even after you get the new one in that includes re assembly and timing job which usually sucks on my teg or most any honda. The HG job lasts a bit more than 45 mins working by yourself...</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, race cars are easy to work on.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if something can go wrong, it will. honda needs to make things "idiot" proof IE: only fits one way.

no im not saying youre an idiot. the spray prolly covered the "UP" letters.