Notices

HELP! My new gt2871r just seized up!!????

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 HELP! My new gt2871r just seized up!!????

I have a 94 integra ls. It has been turbo for about 2.5 years now. I used to have a garrett t3/t4b on it for the longest time. Now i just picked up a used garrett gt2871r for a upgrade. I want the quick spool. I had my gt2871r on my car for about 4 months, and on my way home the other day, i got no boost, and i could hear a high pitch whine coming from it. It was still spinning though, but not building boost. I thought a charge pipe blew off or something. Then it stopped spinning completely. I pulled off the filter, and HOLY SHAFT PLAY!!! Its really bad, like hitting the housing and such.
When i got the turbo, it was in perfect condition. no play at all, spun for ever by hand.
It is externally wastegated, and running 10psi. I bought the gt oil restrictor for it. And ran the coolant lines right. It has a 10an return line, no shape bends or anything. I also have a solid feed line going to it. (used a brake like cause i was sick of the braided lines wearing through on the manifold.)
And like i said, it has been turboed for a long time now, and all i did was switch turbos.....

What could of caused this to happen? Im looking into buying a new cartridge now, but i don't want this to happen again. Could maybe something of got in the oil and blocked oil from getting to the turbo??? I have always ran mobil1 extended life oil, with mobil 1 filter. I hope i can get some help as to what to look for as why this would of happened.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:24 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: HELP! My new gt2871r just seized up!!????

did you use the proper-sized oil restrictors (.035), oil return size (-8AN instead of -10AN) and water lines? were there any contaminations in the oil? Any Foreign debris? (was there a filter on the car.)

There's a lot more to know before we can be of any assistance
Old 01-16-2009, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by MHhonda99
I bought the gt oil restrictor for it. And ran the coolant lines right. It has a 10an return line, no sharpe bends or anything. I also have a solid feed line going to it. (used a brake like cause i was sick of the braided lines wearing through on the manifold.)
Could maybe something of got in the oil and blocked oil from getting to the turbo??? I have always ran mobil1 extended life oil, with mobil 1 filter. I hope i can get some help as to what to look for as why this would of happened.
Yes, i bought the right oil restrictor from fast-turbo. its a .035. Now i always had a -10an return line on my car, and i just used that -10an return line. I was told it would be fine since its just the gravity drain back.
As for the oil, i don't think anything got in the oil. I have a magnetic drain plug, so that catches anything, and when i looked at that, it did not have anything on it. I have my feed line coming right off the back of the block with the sending unit. so its freshly filtered oil. And i always use the mobile1 filter and oil.... Could using a -10AN return like have made it blow after only 4 months???
Old 01-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would take off the restrictor and check to see if its plugged, a .035" hole is so small and any small speck of **** could clog it, I cooked my BB67ho a few months back from some forign material clogging the restrictor.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my feed line coming right off the back of the block with the sending unit.

What size is the feed line?
Old 01-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
oil return size (-8AN instead of -10AN)
I'm confused by this. Are you implying that too large of a drain line could cause a problem?
Old 01-16-2009, 03:49 PM

It is possible, Since the turbo uses over 30% less oil than a journal bearing turbocharger. Especially at that size.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah never knew i should run a -8an return cool.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seems to me like a drain is a drain. . . . As long as it's draining (not plugged, or OVER capacity in other words), then it's good. Could be a sewer pipe. And don't start telling me that drains need back pressure, cause I'll FREAK! LOL! ;^)
Old 01-16-2009, 06:21 PM

Yea, i bought my return line and .035 restrictor from fast-turbo. and it was a -10AN return line and i wouldn't think that would cause a problem.
As far as the feed line, i just used a solid 3/8" line and bent it and ran it to the turbo. I was sick of the braided line rubbing pin holes from the manifold. and the solid line looks cleaner imo.
Yea, i am thinking that something plugged the .035 restrictor... grrrrr. What could i do to make sure next time that this won't happen? Use a golden eagle sandwich plate just for the feed line? Or is there a separate filter i can put on just the feed line?
Old 01-16-2009, 06:31 PM

I'm not saying in this case that it IS the problem. I'm saying it is a possibility. You also want to make sure that there are no kinks in the return line.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: HELP! My new gt2871r just seized up!!????

This is my night to be confused by stuff I see on the internet I guess. . . . . .
Old 01-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would inspect that restrictor for ****...did you use any sealants on the threads....there was a thread a few months back where someone used rtv on his AN fittings (I dunno why, but he did) and a piece came off and blocked the feed....as far as preventing again, you could put a in line filter right before the turbo, or as close as possible to it.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:56 PM

It has a 10an return line, no shape bends or anything.

my return line is short and does not have any short bends and the line does not go upwards or anything like that.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:28 AM

sounds like the bearings fell apart. A new cartridge will fix the problem but will be costly.
I dont think a small particle would have cause the cartridge to fail like that so quickly. Perhaps you blocked off the oil inlet with a piece os silicone or something and the turbo starved for oil.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your oil pan, when I cooked mine I had a pile of ball bearings and other **** in my oil pan and return line.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was sick of the braided line rubbing pin holes from the manifold. and the solid line looks cleaner imo.
You could have gotten black loom and placed it over the braided line to prevent any rubbing. Even rubber tubing for plumbing would protect other pieces too. Just a thought for next time.

You could use the sandwich plate for filtering in the future and place an inline filter with the line you already have. I think the sandwich plate would be best so you don't have to worry about ordering another filter to switch out. Just replace the oil filter and you're done.

Please let us know. Sorry this has happened to you.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:47 AM
official honda whore

Originally Posted by blaze the chemi
You could have gotten black loom and placed it over the braided line to prevent any rubbing. Even rubber tubing for plumbing would protect other pieces too. Just a thought for next time.

You could use the sandwich plate for filtering in the future and place an inline filter with the line you already have. I think the sandwich plate would be best so you don't have to worry about ordering another filter to switch out. Just replace the oil filter and you're done.

Please let us know. Sorry this has happened to you.
why would he need a sandwich plate when the oil pressure sensor feed is already filtered
Old 01-17-2009, 10:13 AM

Yea, the oil sensor spot is already filtered, but i also have the oil pressure gauge and the stock pressure sensor all running off that spot. So using a sandwich plate would give the turbo its own oil all by its self and not have to worry about going through the other sensors. But i think im just being paranoid about that.
Are there additional filters i can run on the feed line? And who sells them? I would live to have a extra filter to filter the oil before it goes into the turbo, and change that filter often.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ANplumbing.com has them
Old 01-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's probably dirt or foreign material.. It's the cause for almost every GT turbo failure as far as I know. Some crap may have entered the turbo, knowing that it is a used turbo and the previous owner may have took it off when his motor was blown up, etc... It usually takes a while before the fine metal debris work its way into the bearings and eventually cause the turbo to fail.

It's also the main reason I never buy used turbos.. Most of the turbos floating around on the classifieds are sold because people are "upgrading" to larger turbos. At the same time, it is no coincidence that this "upgrade" was also caused by a blown stock motor and it's "time to go big", etc.. Most used turbos you get are usually f*cked up, although the seller would claim "turbo was running well when I pulled it out".
Old 01-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96 GSR-T
I would take off the restrictor and check to see if its plugged, a .035" hole is so small and any small speck of **** could clog it, I cooked my BB67ho a few months back from some forign material clogging the restrictor.
X2 My oil line got a little junk in it and blocked it and killed my turbo a couple years ago