Notices

Help me update 15 year old setup a little?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me update 15 year old setup a little?

Hello All,

Good to see everyone still here and hard core tech'ing. I have a really old setup that consists of a DRAG3 based turbo setup on a Benson's sleeved 84.5mm (2.0L) GS-R. The turbo is a GTX3071R, and I run north of 1.5-2.0bar daily on E85. Tuned by me on Hondata.

The torque is insane, but my powerband dies quickly after just 6500RPM or so. I have a number of items that restrict me there, and a few solutions I want to try. I simply want my torque to carry to stock redline and make around 500whp (I'm not afraid of what boost level it takes--within reason). And I would like to have your opinion on a few changes.

1) I still have the stock GS-R "butterfly" manifold and stock GS-R cams. Maybe it's time I switch. Would a BLOX intake manifold and swapping in CTR cams that I have laying around suit me? I was also considering the Victor-X simply because my IC piping is designed around the stock GS-R manifold that has the TB sitting much lower than other OEM manifolds.. I would really like to keep my original piping, and I think the Victor-X manifold has the TB sitting fairly low. Anyone know anything about this? I would like to hear.

2) I'm considering a switch from my cast DRAG manifold to a mini-ram type. What I want to know is if there is a mini-ram manifold that keeps the compressor housing on the passenger side as mine is now. I am finally going to ditch the AC so I won't have too much trouble making a downpipe, but I want to keep the compressor facing that way for intake/filter reasons (plus I simply like it better). I did some looking/searching around and couldn't find an answer that satisfied me, so I am asking now. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. I've been reading a considerable number of threads here lately and it's good to see some familiar names, though I don't know if anyone will remember me hah.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me update 15 year old setup a little?

itR intake manifold, ctR intake cam/itR exhaust cam, peakboost equal length turbo manifold..

i have 3 out of the 4 myself, ive heard that the ctR intake cam would help but am not speaking from experience..
Old 05-30-2014, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO the victor inox and a bigger throttle is the first essential stage you sould go.

if you want more power skunk2 pro1 or 63401T-2 or 63401-2 crower would be ok for your turbo application
Old 05-30-2014, 11:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're going for a tubular manifold get a regular ramhorn.

I've never ran a miniram but look at calidads build. That was his restriction going for big hp

And the drain line sits stupid low.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly the IM is the issue, so look else where.

didn't drag turbo setups only come with 2.5" downpipe back in the days?
Old 05-30-2014, 12:35 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you're on the right track. Having run a tubular log, miniram, SLS Prototype (basically a ramhorn), and a topmount, I have to say the miniram was my favorite manifold. It still spooled quickly, but didnt have the pronounced taper in the higher RPMs. The only issue with these manifolds is the oil return...at times they can be a pain in the ***.

As for the IM, an Edelbrock IM or even the Blox IM would be an improvement over what you have now. I would pony up the extra $$ and get the Edelbrock Victor X. There are a half dozen good IM's on the market now, depending on your budget.

Cams could go 15 different directions, but if you have access to ITR/CTR cams, those would be sufficient. Again your options are limited only by your budget.

As mentioned above, if you're still running a 2.5" dp, that would be the first problem to correct. That's going to hinder performance more than any of these modifications.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the responses. My downpipe is 2.5" for the first couple inches before it opens up to 3" for the rest of the way. I need to also mention it is a closed-wastegate-loop. I know that must be KILLING me.

The downpipe. It's a little different now as this is 2.5" all the way and I cut it where it starts to run straght and made it 3" from that point on.

Thanks for the feedback on manifolds. I have only ever run the cast DRAG3 and a RevHard one for a while. I want the B18C powerband back and I have a somewhat strange powerband now that dies off quickly. Not very Honda-like.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:34 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

honestly i prefer the miniram for a street car. if you're clever then the oil return is a non issue.

as far as intake manifolds, the Skunk2 pro series is much more suited to a street car, you'll still have great torque production without losing much top end power.

as far as cams, the itr/ctr setup works well but with your displacement, turbo size, and goals I think the GSC T1s would provide you with the big increase in midrange torque and top end power that you're after.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:02 PM
met
Honda-Tech Member

I'm at 83mm with ctr cams and skunk 2 intake make just under your 500whp but a larger turbo gt35r and a 3in dp. My tuner always messes with me I should have got the victor x manifold. That's at 18psi btw too with stock throttle body. Just amazes me that at almost 30psi your not at 500whp. Honestly I went with the type r cams because they are cheep and they will last a long time, from all my reading as soon as you go above them valve train wear increases a ton. I don't know first hand if that's true.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

84mm here, t3t4 60-1 old school turbo. ctr cams edlebrock intake and stock throttle body. made close to 500 on 16 psi.

the victor x really helps the powerband above 7000 rpm. i can remember hearing not too get too big of a throttle body on that manifold due to plenum volume, but that could be getting confused with some of the all motor research ive done in the past too.

i had a miniram for years. the oil return is pretty low but i also feel like it kept my underhood temps down a bit compared to the full ramhorn due to less surface area. id suggest a coated and or heatwrapped ramhorn for your setup

if you do choose itr/ctr cams i would suggest getting more valvespring than the itr ones. maybe overkill but i have the 85lb supertechs and i feel they saved my *** from disaster from a few high rev "incidents" over the years
Old 05-30-2014, 06:13 PM
met
Honda-Tech Member

I forgot about the springs too I am running the same 85lbs, a bunch of people I hear say that about the victor x.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep it simple..inline pro manifold should do well over that horrible drag. Victor x is made to do well 7k rpm and up..i know you say power falls off hard after 6500 which Im sure is due to the stock gsr intake..just an itr style manifold alone will carry the power further while still keeping the midrange you'll definitely lose with the victor x, it is still a daily driver right?! As far as cams imo no need to go crazy here but off course they couldn't hurt my suggestion like others have said itr/ctr cams you already have would be excellent don't forget to upgrade the valvetrain either way..