Notices

Help me out with my turbo project.

Old 09-13-2002, 09:45 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me out with my turbo project.

I'm planning on turboing my d16z6 and have put together a little list of things i'm considering. If you would please look through it and tell me what you think like if you would change something or do something differently and explain why that would be great. Thanks.

1. Apex turbo kit
2. Apex IC kit
3. Greddy type S BOV
4. 440cc DSM Injectors
5. Injector resistor box
6. Walbro intank fuel pump ( This should be fine with the 440ccs right?)
7. Apex s-afc (using hack)

AFC settings
high and low
1000-30%
2000-8000-40%
idle-30%?

I'm not sure about timing if anyone can help me there. Anyway i plan on setting up everything as i've listed above and tuning more as needed. Starting off i'm only going to boost up to 7psi. Give me a run down and tell me what you think so far.

Travis
Old 09-13-2002, 11:06 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Help me out with my turbo project. (mantic6t9)

14 views and nothing....

Anyone know what size the DP on the apex kit is?
Old 09-14-2002, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like the supra pistons and b series rods combo idea. Of course that's much more work.
Old 09-14-2002, 09:36 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Help me out with my turbo project. (bruthaboost)

Ok i take it that setup is good sence no one has said anything negative about it. I'm new to this so please help me out.
Old 09-14-2002, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to do more search on the AFC hack, those settings are from liam, and those are for his particular car. most of us are using it from -40 at idle then down to -35 at or parst 7k rpms. also it's 450cc dsm + resistor box, if you use the RC 440cc injectors, no resistor box needed. you might as well get a VAFC if you don't already own the SAFC. why not, since you're VTEC. and no aftermarket fuel pump is needed, but it is nice to have. if planning on boosting 7psi you'll need a manual/digita boost controller, i think the apxi boosts 5.5psi stock just like the greddy...not completely sure though. also depending on how much you want to boost...myself and many others boosted 12+ on stock internals on our d16 motors. also get a boost gauge. NGk BKR7E are 2 step colder plugs that great for FI cars. you can get those from www.sparkplugs.com or many other online shops. for timing people usually retard 1 degree if not boosting past 8psi, and when 8+psi retard 2 degrees. this is at distributor of course. make sure to run 91 or 93 octane, which ever you have. also depending on the # of miles on your car you might want to think of a full tune-up. GL on your way to prjoect boost
Old 09-14-2002, 02:09 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Help me out with my turbo project. (98civicEX)

you need to do more search on the AFC hack, those settings are from liam, and those are for his particular car. most of us are using it from -40 at idle then down to -35 at or parst 7k rpms. also it's 450cc dsm + resistor box, if you use the RC 440cc injectors, no resistor box needed. you might as well get a VAFC if you don't already own the SAFC. why not, since you're VTEC. and no aftermarket fuel pump is needed, but it is nice to have. if planning on boosting 7psi you'll need a manual/digita boost controller, i think the apxi boosts 5.5psi stock just like the greddy...not completely sure though. also depending on how much you want to boost...myself and many others boosted 12+ on stock internals on our d16 motors. also get a boost gauge. NGk BKR7E are 2 step colder plugs that great for FI cars. you can get those from www.sparkplugs.com or many other online shops. for timing people usually retard 1 degree if not boosting past 8psi, and when 8+psi retard 2 degrees. this is at distributor of course. make sure to run 91 or 93 octane, which ever you have. also depending on the # of miles on your car you might want to think of a full tune-up. GL on your way to prjoect boost
You're right those are Liams afc settings. I figured i would start with them and go from there. RC injectors= more money. If the DSM 440cc and resistor box work just as well i'd rather stick with that. Can someone explain the wiring to me? Don't worry i'm getting all the electronics to monitor and control everything, i was just listing the main hardware. But since we're on the subject, what's a good boost controler? Should i get a better boost gauge then the autometer? I've heard mixed review on certain autometer gauges. I was thinking greddy for the boost gauge.

Travis
Old 09-14-2002, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For injector wiring go here:http://www.hondata.com/techinjectorwiring.html
The supra pistons combo is a setup turbopanda was running on his d series and had good success with.
Gauges: People like the quality of Greddy, plus they are backlit. However they are expensive. Actually almost any backlit gauge is gonna cost. Your best economic/performance/cosmetic value would be VDO Vision series gauges. They are the same price range as the autometer and nicely backlit with your choice of color.
hth
Old 09-14-2002, 04:10 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Help me out with my turbo project. (bruthaboost)

Don't you have to notch the block with those rods?
Old 09-14-2002, 11:38 PM
Trial User

Anyone else?
Old 09-15-2002, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't you have to notch the block with those rods?
Yes you do. The B16A rods are much thicker than the stock D16 rods, and so in order for the rods to have enough clearance, you need to grind about 4mm around the area of the rods (just wherever you can see that the rods will make contact with the block). Check my signature for more info. And if you want to see my setup, click here.