Notices

Help Me Make 450+whp....

Old 09-09-2005, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Make 450+whp....

Ok...I previously built my own turbo car so i know my way around somewhat but, that set-up made half the amount of power that i want to make on my next set-up and im going to need some idea's on which route to take.
I'm going to be coming into a couple thousand bucks in the near future...this will not be enough to finish my project but, its a start.
I dont want to "cheap out" on this set-up but, i dont have all the money in the world.
All i have as of now is a..

84mm GE Sleeved B18B1 Bare Shortblock.
I will be using the stock LS crankshaft.
I dont really know what brand/compression pistons to go with...
I'm also unsure of which rods to go with.
What else is a good thing to have for the bottom end build?

As far as the head...
I will need to purchase a VTEC head...i will most likley leave it stock, just replace gaskets/seals.
I assume this will be able to handle big numbers with the help of a Intake manifold and a throttle body.
750cc+ Injectors or ? also...will the walbro 255lph pump be big enough?

Picking the Turbo has me stumped...i have no idea which turbo i want to go with but, it will be mated to a quality manifold.
I want to stay with the T3/T4 set-up...no full T4's if thats possible.

I would like to see 84mm LS/Vtec big HP set-up's currently out there

Ok...well, if you have anything to add of what i will need or advice or anything of that nature....Let me know

Thanks for looking.

Old 09-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help Me Make 450+whp.... (Die-Laughing)

https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch

Old 09-09-2005, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help Me Make 450+whp.... (PrecisionH23a)

2.0l ls/vtec full race mani t3/t67 ho .82ar making 490whp at 20psi
will be making more once i get a few thing straight
Old 09-09-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Help Me Make 450+whp.... (vaporboy12)

for the bottom end, make sure you get headstuds. I went with ARP... just pick any of the top name pistons, they're all good now a days, but I went with CP's they have clearence specs built in so the machinist who bores the block doesn't have to worry about it (but be sure he has the pistons on hand to match the bore).

rods... I have Crowers but to be honest my next build will probably be with Eagles, the two side by side you can notice quallity difference in the machine work bewteen the two, but eagles are proven good for well over your hp goal...
that and eagles are around $350 Vs crowers $700... plain and simple.

I say go with a GT ball bearing turbo if you can swing it...

good luck!
Old 09-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help Me Make 450+whp.... (turbosi03)

if u have a tight budget I wont really reslevee the block .. for 450 whp on a stocks slevees should be fine go with some forged internals , a set of eagle rods wich they go for 290 shipped 48 ...pistons u will find them for 300 tor 400 with brand name now for the head ,arp head studs ,some retainers and springs u should be fine
Old 09-09-2005, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help Me Make 450+whp....

The block is freshly sleeved...i just need to have it honed when i get my bottom end parts installed.

Ok...Any quality piston and rod should do i take it but, what compression ratio is suitable for my goals?

Now...my block has a fresh 84mm bore....so go with a 84mm piston or will it change after the block is honed?

also...when i was looking at eagle rods on the GE website...they come in different lengths it seems. whats up with that?

Is head work really needed if i use the Vtec head...i probably wont rev past its limit.

One more thing...
Im going to be using a B18B1 block...The head will be a Vtec head...most likley B16/type r style...now:
how do i determine which oil/water pump/timing belt to use?
should i match these things to whatever head i use or ?

thanks guys
Old 09-09-2005, 03:21 PM

CP or wiseco 9:1 pistons and eagle rods would be my choice. It's hard to go wrong with 9:1 CR for a street car.

You should go with an 84mm piston for your block.

The different rod lengths are for B16, GSR, LS, and stroker motors. You want LS length rods.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help Me Make 450+whp.... (turboEGhatch)

and i dont think u need any head parts if ur gonna use that ITR head ... but thats only if u use the itr head
Old 09-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Die-Laughing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The block is freshly sleeved...i just need to have it honed when i get my bottom end parts installed.

Ok...Any quality piston and rod should do i take it but, what compression ratio is suitable for my goals?

Now...my block has a fresh 84mm bore....so go with a 84mm piston or will it change after the block is honed?

also...when i was looking at eagle rods on the GE website...they come in different lengths it seems. whats up with that?

Is head work really needed if i use the Vtec head...i probably wont rev past its limit.

One more thing...
Im going to be using a B18B1 block...The head will be a Vtec head...most likley B16/type r style...now:
how do i determine which oil/water pump/timing belt to use?
should i match these things to whatever head i use or ?

thanks guys
</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^^ I agree with the 9:1 comp, it seems to work very well for a street car. As for the honing just tell your machine shop what size pistons u will be using and they will bore/hone accordingly, might just be easier to give em' one of your pistons so they don't make any mistakes (I learned this the hard way....). Just get the stock legnth ls eagle rods. Dunno bout the oil/water pumps or if headwork is needed for 450 on a b16. I beleive that u would use a gsr timing belt tho. GL.