Notices

Help me figure out my LS Turbo

Old 11-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me figure out my LS Turbo

I read through the whole forum about LS Turbo motors on this site, very inspiring. Now I plan on building one of these bad boys this winter. I need some second opinions and some more advanced help from you pros. I'm new to this, but know what's involved and have done my research. So before I bore you with all my words, here's what I'm thinking:

Find older B18B1 head/block from Pick N Pull.
Rebuilt it with:
Some sort of Pistons (should I overbore it a bit? What compression is best?)
Eagle rods
Crower stage 2 turbo cams
New oem gaskets, seals, and bearings (should I not use oem?)
Arp head studs
Arp rod bolts
Polished crank (is this necessary?)

My goal is 250whp. I think I'm overdoing it with all these after market internals. Do I really need all these parts? I want it to be reliable, but I see all you guys running 250whp on stock ls motors. When I rebuild it, most likely will need to replace pistons, rods and cams won't I? I guess I'm just looking for some more advice on what I need to build my motor for it to be reliable, but not go over 4g's. I don't have any idea of what turbo setup I want, I just want to figure out my internals first. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Help me figure out my LS Turbo (alexm)

well depending on the condition of the block, you might just need a rehone so u can get 81mm pistons. go up to 81.5 on stock sleeves.

any compression between 9-10:1 works, maybe start at 9:1 which will allow for the head/block to get decked and not gain too much compression.

the eagles should come with arp rodbolts. use oem bearings/gaskets/seals if possible. dont have to polish the crank especially if its got no scoring.

i would get an aftermarket intake manifold if you are getting crower cams. you will most likely need to upgrade valvesprings and ti retainers if you do the cams as well.

just get a nice turbo kit and some good tuning and you will be good to go. depending on turbo size and a few other variables you can probably make 250hp on around 10psi, and you should have a motor that can handle whatever you can throw at it on pump gas if you want to go more later down the road
Old 11-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me figure out my LS Turbo (blackeg)

Thank bro, that was super helpful to me So you think I need new valve train and springs if I go with new cams eh? Won't new cams really help me gain more power easily? I will worry about bolt ons later, but I know what you mean. What exactly is "honing" a engine? Right now I am thinking just to run turbo on a stock motor, just get some arp head studs and rod bolts.

Now here's what I'm most confused about, and if you could answer that would be super sweet: When I rebuild the motor, what do I all need to replace besides bearings, gaskets and seals? If I bore it out I'll need new pistons any how right? Sorry for so many questions.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone got ideas?
Old 11-25-2007, 08:41 PM

9:1 is stock compression on the ls b18b1 more since i have a 94 integra rs im in middle of boosting as well. actually im still saving for the kit lol
Old 11-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fireman mike2288)

You should piece a kit together, you can save alot of money that way. What are you doing, ls/vtec turbo or ls turbo? What internals do you have? Mind sharing?
Old 11-25-2007, 08:47 PM

ill tell u everything lol dont matter to me stock internals stock motor drag turbo 3000$ doller kit im getting used with only 250 miles on it for 750$ im either gonna chip an ecu with crome or uberdata just so i can get a basemap u know for around 7psi thats all i want its a T3/T4 60trim with everyting direct bolt on all i have to buy is a oil return line and tap
Old 11-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fireman mike2288)

Looks good. I'm almost thinking instead of rebuilding a older B18b1, I might just buy a jdm one with 30k miles on it for 750. Then I still need to find axles and tranny though.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:55 PM

auto zone axles life time warrenty i think there issued like 400hp but there like 60$ so there cheap
Old 11-26-2007, 01:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alexm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thank bro, that was super helpful to me So you think I need new valve train and springs if I go with new cams eh? Won't new cams really help me gain more power easily? I will worry about bolt ons later, but I know what you mean. What exactly is "honing" a engine? Right now I am thinking just to run turbo on a stock motor, just get some arp head studs and rod bolts.

Now here's what I'm most confused about, and if you could answer that would be super sweet: When I rebuild the motor, what do I all need to replace besides bearings, gaskets and seals? If I bore it out I'll need new pistons any how right? Sorry for so many questions.</TD></TR></TABLE>

new cams will help that head flow better, but they have enough of increased lift and duration that you need stiffer springs.

when u rebuild, you should replace the bearings(im sure the one u get will have enough miles to justify this), also gaskets, pistons rrods and rings, hg, oil and water pumps, timing belt and probably the distributor cap, rotor and plug wires.

if you bore out u need new pistons, even if its just very small amount. its usually a good idea especially if your motor has a lot of miles or some pretty hurt up cylinder walls to overbore that way you can have nice clean smooth surfaces and help the rings seal better