Notices

Help me decide.. Going outlaw

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide.. Going outlaw

okay iv been doing alot of searching around, and doing alot of reading and im kinda torn between 2 setups. My budget is roughly 12k, and my goal is a 800hp outlaw car. My shell is a 93 vx hatch. okay so yall give me your ideas and the cons and pros between either using a h22 or a gsr, given my current budget. If i go the h22 route i will be running a h2b with Gsr tranny. as far as the turbo i shall be using a BW s372. So just give me some input.. it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me decide.. Going outlaw

not to put a downer on your setup but to be honest 12k isnt going to get you a reliable outlaw car. over 600whp and a gearset is going to be needed and they alone cost 4-5 grand. then your looking at a big dollar manifold and turbo and wastegates and bov, then sleeveing pistons rods etc. you dont have the bidget to even build it let alone race it. just trying to save you time and money cause ive been downthis road before and it ended up costing WAY to much and i didnt have the money to even race it or fix it if needed and you WILL have to fix things ALOT

but if i hd to choose id say gsr over the h series. nt a fan of h series and b series is more common for parts and reliable stuff plus the fastest guys are running b series, should tell you something
Old 03-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

12 wont get you into an outlaw event.
3-4000 for cage
600 chute setup
1000 for FRONT wheels and slicks
1500 for a clutch
600 for safety gear
1500 axles
thats 9200 and you dont have an engine, management, turbo, trans.

we arent trying to discourage you, just let you know because we dont want you to cut corners.

i dont even know what i have in my car, its way more than 12k, and i have a stock trans. no where near as fast as them.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am in a similar situation as you. I have been talking to some guys that I have seen at my local track and 12k isn't enough unless you do ALOT of the work YOURSELF! You could have a motor capable of 800hp and do the cage and safety stuff yourself for around 12k. And also you have to consider that you will break alot of parts that will cost money as well. The average person with an outlaw SFWD car has around 25k or more in total investment. You could also buy used parts and that will cut down costs, but make sure you buy stuff with good history and as much paperwork as possible.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea thanks for the information everyone.. I think i may be setting my hopes a little high lol. im sitting in Iraq with a virgin vx in my garage and **** is just going 90 to nothing with what i can and want to do with it. So lets change this thread! So with a 12k budget... Lets get Creative,.. what would you do? Oh and btw doesnt really need to retain a DD status. I also have gsr Ej1
Old 03-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would keep it daily driver and build a swet street car, can be done for 12k no problem. get a more streetable turbo and sleeve the block . keeping things simple is keey for a daily driver. a ramhorn with a t3/t4 turbo like the precision billet 6262 will get you to 700whp if you wanted it to and still be very streetable.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

with 12 g's you can deff. build your motor and get a 800hp capable turbo set up you can start there that would be a hell of a start if you ask me then go from there im in the middle of my outlaw build and take it from me it takes time money and patients good luck bro stay safe.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You could probably build a true street car with 12k, and staying on stock tranny.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by narfdanarf
You could probably build a true street car with 12k, and staying on stock tranny.
that would be a good start.
a good stock sleeved engine with a proper turbo you can have alot of fun with.

BUT remember a true true street car, if it performs, will need safety also.
my car has no issues breaking the 135 rule, and has dipped into the 9's. and is still t3.

12k, if you really want to go nuts, swap the car and get a properly sized turbo for the engine and go from there.

you can have a fun time with a stock engine and properly sized turbo. remember there are peripherals you need too. ems, fuel systems, and other things to look at.

sure you can go fast, and not spend alot. but to do it and do it right, you will spend more in the short run, instead of hacking and spending it in the long run.