Notices

Help me build my motor....

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me build my motor....

ok guys new to the site here, I just got a perfect condition ef hatch at a bargain (free), so i want to build it to drive back and forth to work and have a nice car to take to the track on the weekends, I'm looking for low 12's (and whatever HP generally gets you there),

So whats the quickest/easiest way to get there, ls/vtec, b20/vtec, b16 turbo, gsr turbo? Still need it to be reliable and maintenance needs to be not so often...

whats the advantage of ls/vtec or b20/vtec over the other??

please include all internal parts I would need...

Also what engine builder do you guys recommend...

Thanks ahead of time guys...

Old 10-29-2008, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Help me build my motor.... (waparson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by waparson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm looking for low 12's (and whatever HP generally gets you there)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by waparson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Still need it to be reliable and maintenance needs to be not so often...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's going to cost ALOT of money.

There are plenty of choices for which motor. hmotorsonline.com is a great place to buy a complete swap. I got a complete B16 changeover from them last summer and they were most excellent. The motor came with a bad dizzy, they sent me a new one ASAP no charge.

If I was to have someone build a motor for me I think I'd go with laskey racing, although I have no experience with them I have heard nothing but good things outta that place. If you have them build the block you shouldn't have to worry about what internals just tell them what you want done. They should know what to do.

I don't really know how a low 12 DD will do or if it's even possible. I'm sure someone else on here is more knowledgeable / experienced than me and can give you more answers.

edit: I don't know your background or your knowledge but if this is your first build I'd aim for something a little less all-out. good luck!
Old 10-30-2008, 03:04 AM
Make mine whatever you want

Default Re: Help me build my motor.... (civicjoe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicjoe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's going to cost ALOT of money.

There are plenty of choices for which motor. hmotorsonline.com is a great place to buy a complete swap. I got a complete B16 changeover from them last summer and they were most excellent. The motor came with a bad dizzy, they sent me a new one ASAP no charge.

If I was to have someone build a motor for me I think I'd go with laskey racing, although I have no experience with them I have heard nothing but good things outta that place. If you have them build the block you shouldn't have to worry about what internals just tell them what you want done. They should know what to do.

I don't really know how a low 12 DD will do or if it's even possible. I'm sure someone else on here is more knowledgeable / experienced than me and can give you more answers.

edit: I don't know your background or your knowledge but if this is your first build I'd aim for something a little less all-out. good luck!</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol this isn't that insane of a build. I mean we're talking close to 300whp, if that. You have a few choices for your goals. The two most reliable options you have there are probably the the b16 and the gsr motors.
With either, if you want reliability, use forged internals. Also with that said, DO NOT buy some large turbo when your goals are clearly not that excessive. You will hear the same from all of the veterans in here like Schister66 and TheShodan im sure.

And about it costing ALOT OF MONEY....It doesn't have to. With either of those motors, b16 being the cheapest and easiest in the EF chassis, you can find any part in the market place that you will ever need to make a reliable setup. If you're serious about this, it is very possible build the exact car you want. Just do some research, there are a countless number of people running 300-400 and even close to 500 whp daily driven cars. Good luck.

Don't scare him civicjoe!

Modified by GT35R_EF at 12:43 PM 10/30/2008
Old 10-30-2008, 05:12 AM

Default Re: Help me build my motor.... (GT35R_EF)

lol I'm sorry I'm not trying to. I just start thinking low 12's and street tires. I'm really not trying to give out mis-info my bad
Old 10-30-2008, 06:57 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a low 12, you could actually run on the stock block, but if you have the money and would like the peace of mind, build a simple piston/rod shortblock. I would stay away from the B20 because of the weak sleeves, but all of the other B series are fair game. My pick would be either the GSR (with an LS crank) or an LS/VTEC. The larger displacement will help you spool the turbo faster and make it more streetable.

If i were you, i'd pick up either the LS block or GSR block (convert the LS to LS/VTEC), build the bottom end 9:1-9.8:1, build a good turbo setup around it and go to town.

For that simple build, you'd need a set of Eagle Rods, CP/Wiseco/Arias, etc pistons, bearings and all necessary gaskets. There are several threads in the FAQ that outline what you'll need for an engine build.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

I've had both LS/vtec and B20/vtec. I have a B20/Vtec right now and i resleeved it just for peace of mind but either way if you do a LS/Vtec Or a B20/Vtec you will need to get a b16a or b18c series water pump and oil pump and timing belt to kake it reliable. reason being the LS/B20 pumps are not up to the higher RPMs of the vtec.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:58 PM

as far as my background, ive mainly just swapped motors in a few and boltons. Always wanted to do a really nice builld in a 92-95 hatch but the ef was free and perfect body.

Also my uncle has a b18a1 block laying around from his unfinished project that is completely polished out. That im sure i can get pretty cheap or maybe free as well, he just needs the space and is out of hondas.

If I got his block I'm guessing the obvious thing to do is ls/vtec. I want the bottom built to last and peace of mind. I ive been looking around at enging builders laskey was one as well as exospeed at there stage 3 build, also looked at blueprint. Any of these decent or would you recommend one over the other?

Would it be worth it to go ahead and sleeve the ls block while im at it?

I really appreciate your guys help as im very serious about getting this done. Once i get it started i will add pics and progress as I go along.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:00 PM

one more thing, i noticed rlz engineering is actually close to me (30min). Have any of you had any experience with them?

Also what tranny would you recommend with the setup im looking at?

Thanks again
Old 10-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by waparson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one more thing, i noticed rlz engineering is actually close to me (30min). Have any of you had any experience with them?</TD></TR></TABLE>

They do awesome head-work.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Help me build my motor.... (Tippyman)

Also the only thing i may consider to make this cheaper would be going all motor with the ls/vtec IF!!! you guys think it would be fairly simple to do with bottom end work and head work....or just stick with my original turbo setup???
Old 10-31-2008, 02:14 PM

ok, one more question, since this is going in an ef hatch, i know the ls cable tranny will work great, but is there any advantage over getting a hydro LS tranny that will still be worked by a cable?

Am i right about that?

which one should i get?
Old 10-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

seriously, the cheapest way is to buy a motor that is already built
Old 10-31-2008, 02:32 PM

i would if i could find one that i like and trust...

what do you guys think about this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...70089
Old 10-31-2008, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

about the last place i would look for a good built motor is ebay but you may get lucky

i think justice racing may be close to you if your on the west end of NC

i guarantee you won't hear anything but good about them

don't do NA id turbo that ls motor and get it tuned to 250whp or so before i went NA and to do that it would cost about the same

you can't build a high hp NA for cheap i just don't see it happening
Old 10-31-2008, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me build my motor.... (spoolin turbo s)

guy that is pretty local to you is rmcdaniels he is in raleigh and he really knows his sht and he is a really nice guy

hell he built a supercharger turbo sequential setup if he can do that he really know his stuff

if i was you and was where you are located i would talk with him whether anything comes of it who knows but i would at least talk to him

best advice i could think of at the moment talk to rmcdaniels or get justice racing to build your motor

i know a VW guy in the area that also knows his stuff that would porbably be willing to help you out as well pm me if you want to know more

and when i say he knows his stuff he coverted his gti to AWD i can count on one hand the amount of times that has been done