Notices

Help!?! (labor charges) does this sound right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!?! (labor charges) does this sound right?

edit

Modified by Jordo at 11:40 AM 9/11/2004
Old 09-10-2004, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Help!?! (labor charges) does this sound right? (Jordo)

hrmmm sounds steep to me. did you get a written estimate for 2200?
Old 09-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help!?! (TurblowR)

I would say 1600-1700 is a fair price for that labor, depending how good the tune is. Many shops do charge out more labor if you didn't get the parts from them to help recoupe the potential profit lost.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help!?! (Bailhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would say 1600-1700 is a fair price for that labor, depending how good the tune is. Many shops do charge out more labor if you didn't get the parts from them to help recoupe the potential profit lost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, i was thinking $1800 was the right amount. I supplyed ALL parts.

Old 09-10-2004, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help!?! (TurblowR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurblowR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hrmmm sounds steep to me. did you get a written estimate for 2200?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a written estimate for $650, because i gave them $1000 deposit
Old 09-10-2004, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Help!?! (Bailhatch)

is this the same shop that tuned your car before?
Old 09-10-2004, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help!?! (superi0ro1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by superi0ro1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is this the same shop that tuned your car before?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes it is.. Ive already spent $1400 of labor with them in the past 2 months.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help!?! (Jordo)

My first instinct is to yell and say spend that money on some good tools and do it yourself...

But since it seems you've already decided to go the other route, I really think that's too much money. What's the problem your having getting the shop to honor the original quote? Especially since you said you already put a deposit..!

Good Luck --
Matt
Old 09-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help!?! (Johnyquest)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Johnyquest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My first instinct is to yell and say spend that money on some good tools and do it yourself...

But since it seems you've already decided to go the other route, I really think that's too much money. What's the problem your having getting the shop to honor the original quote? Especially since you said you already put a deposit..!

Good Luck --
Matt</TD></TR></TABLE>

not necessarily the original quote, but im stuck, and they know that, so they are trying to over charge me. My car is siting that there shop naked.. And they want to charge me $2400 for everything.. The 1st quote was for 2200, i thought that was high, so i bought a head that was already assembled, already had valves and valvetrain and all seals already installed, and i bought all the nessary parts, such as gaskets, oil, coolant, tranny fluid... then i go back, new quote is $2400

The shop does awesome work.. I just dont know what the deal is..
Old 09-10-2004, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jordon, I think you are forgetting the fact that you will be using a DART block. There's going to be a lot of machining to get that thing ready; not just "boring" the block like you stated above. I read somewhere on this site where some guy spent about $900 in machine work just to get his DART block ready for assembly. You gotta remember that machinists don't work for free.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help!?! (RedHB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Jordon, I think you are forgetting the fact that you will be using a DART block. There's going to be a lot of machining to get that thing ready; not just "boring" the block like you stated above. I read somewhere on this site where some guy spent about $900 in machine work just to get his DART block ready for assembly. You gotta remember that machinists don't work for free.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can understand that, but the actually labor in the motor, is still the same cost..

Shouldnt it be lower since the head already has valves and springs put it in?

Im not trying to be a pest or anything, Im serioiusly just trying to be done with this.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think i just need a total break down on what everything cost exactly. I know its a big pain in the ***, im just trying to figure out where all the cost is coming from.

I know you guys do the best work, and ive done everything i could to let everyone know that. Ive sent at least 5-6 people to the shop to get work done.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure what it takes to prep a Dart block becaue I've never done one, but our labor rate is $65/hour and if you total up labor for r&r engine, overhaul, plus tune, the 2200-2400 number sounds correct, especially if the shop does very good work. You get what you pay for. I'm sure there's some hillbilly out there that will do it for $5, but quality is important on engine builds and tuning.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help!?! (Jared)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jared &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not sure what it takes to prep a Dart block becaue I've never done one, but our labor rate is $65/hour and if you total up labor for r&r engine, overhaul, plus tune, the 2200-2400 number sounds correct, especially if the shop does very good work. You get what you pay for. I'm sure there's some hillbilly out there that will do it for $5, but quality is important on engine builds and tuning.</TD></TR></TABLE>
well put.took the words right outa my mouth.you have to keep in mind that it costs that shop a certain dollar amount per hour to break even.and it is alot more than people think.if they don't make a good bit more than it costs per hour to run the business,they won't be there much longer.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:25 PM
SYD
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help!?! (Jared)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jared &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not sure what it takes to prep a Dart block becaue I've never done one, but our labor rate is $65/hour and if you total up labor for r&r engine, overhaul, plus tune, the 2200-2400 number sounds correct, especially if the shop does very good work. You get what you pay for. I'm sure there's some hillbilly out there that will do it for $5, but quality is important on engine builds and tuning.</TD></TR></TABLE>