Notices

HELP! I just drilled into my block! *Dumbass of the month award*

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP! I just drilled into my block! *Dumbass of the month award*

I am so stupid! The intake on my Greddy kit never fit quite right and actually cut through the hose Greddy provides so unfiltered air was being sucked in. I bought some silicone hose to replace it and didn't want the block to cut it as well, so I searched the forums last night for information and although most people here shave the block in a different place for the T3T4, I seem to remember others with the Greddy kit needing to shave the block.

An angle grinder didn't fit in the space I was working, and the Dremel was useless so I decided to drill several holes, then chip away with a chisel and file the rest down by hand. In the following picture (I used someone else's picture because I don't have a digital camera, so I hope he doesn't mind.), the area circled in red is where I drilled through. Someone mentioned in one of the posts here that there's a lot of metal, so trim away! I guess I trimmed too much. To let you know how much is gone...The "A2" in B16A2 is gone, as well as the "M" in "HM" and the tab below it. I was trying to get rid of the edge toward the bottom when I felt the drill go through. I stopped, but I can see a very small corner in the area that went through. Would it be ok to just have this welded? The hole is very small. Flames are welcome and deserved! Here is the picture:

Old 09-14-2003, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HELP! I just drilled into my block! *Dumbass of the month award* (The Dude)

Thats just the clutch housing in there so it shouldn't really be that big of a deal like a oil or coolant passage. Im sure you can have it welded. I bet jb weld would actually hold up for that also. Let others chime in before you try anything though. hth
Old 09-14-2003, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP! I just drilled into my block! *Dumbass of the month award* (BlueSi2k)

you can weld that up no problem, or leave it depending on where the hole goes
Old 09-14-2003, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: HELP! I just drilled into my block! *Dumbass of the month award* (civicsitek)

Just leave it, it's just in the bellhousing and it won't hurt anything. There's nothing to leak from there.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:20 PM

Default Re: HELP! I just drilled into my block! *Dumbass of the month award* (The Dude)

ouch. on another note, i've never seen any greddy kit that required any modding that extreme. in fact, i don't think i've seen any that needed any changes to be required at all unless it was the installers or driver's personal preference. the only instances i can recall are either hybrids or installing kits on a car it wasnt originally designed for. any pics of ur misfitment. the only thing i changed on my kit was the filter and return line and i had no fitment problems.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:22 PM
Del

Default Re: HELP! I just drilled into my block! *Dumbass of the month award* (Pengo)

JB WELD is your friend!
Old 09-14-2003, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm I never had any problems with the block cutting into the silcone sleeve with my greddy kit. It is a tight fit tho...
Old 09-14-2003, 09:32 PM

Default Re: HELP! I just drilled into my block! *Dumbass of the month award* (Pengo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pengo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ouch. on another note, i've never seen any greddy kit that required any modding that extreme. in fact, i don't think i've seen any that needed any changes to be required at all unless it was the installers or driver's personal preference. the only instances i can recall are either hybrids or installing kits on a car it wasnt originally designed for. any pics of ur misfitment. the only thing i changed on my kit was the filter and return line and i had no fitment problems. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats not his pic
Old 09-14-2003, 11:38 PM

just leave it..its no biggie..my friend did the same thing and he has been driving his car for over a year with no problems..
Old 09-15-2003, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP! I just drilled into my block! *Dumbass of the month award* (Del)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Del &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">JB WELD is your friend!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 09-15-2003, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP! I just drilled into my block! *Dumbass of the month award* (keebler65)

jb weld will fix it fine.

the whole concept of drilling and chipping away doesn't sound too bright though.. as with anything else, get the appropriate equipment first. You can do this with a $15 dremel kit from wal-mart, you just need the right attachment
Old 09-15-2003, 06:37 AM

it's okay , leave it alone.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:41 AM

Default Re: HELP! I just drilled into my block! *Dumbass of the month award* (ekb18c)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekb18c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's okay , leave it alone.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Id at least close it with JB Weld
Old 09-15-2003, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP! I just drilled into my block! *Dumbass of the month award* (Del)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Del &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">JB WELD is your friend!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 09-15-2003, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP! I just drilled into my block! *Dumbass of the month award* (trbob16a)

Thanks for all the help guys! Even though it can be left alone, I'm going to have it welded shut so I can smooth the whole area out. I don't like the idea of having an open hole there. There's a guy around here who does portable welding. I left a message on his voice mail asking for a price. What should I expect to pay?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trbob16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the whole concept of drilling and chipping away doesn't sound too bright though.. as with anything else, get the appropriate equipment first. You can do this with a $15 dremel kit from wal-mart, you just need the right attachment</TD></TR></TABLE>

Believe me, I tried to get the right equipment. This was my last option because the angle grinder wouldn't fit unless I took the radiator and fan out. I don't know what specific Dremel attachment you're referring to, but I couldn't get the correct angle to work with the cutting disc. Remember, everything is still on the car. I tried the Dremel grinding stone, but that just ended up clogging with melted aluminum and became useless. Drilling and chipping works, but I just screwed up.