Notices

HELP! i blew up my motor, now am rebuilding and need advice for turbo y7 rebuilt

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! i blew up my motor, now am rebuilding and need advice for turbo y7 rebuilt

hey guys, i skipped a couple teeth on the timing belt, and i bent a valve and and i am going to rebuild the motor, im going with a vitara set-up, tt h-beams, but one of my questions is should i stay with my bore, and enlarge it, that is if the cylinders are ok, i ask because im staying obd-2 and am going to run afc hack, and i want a pretty reliable tune, also, i would like to rev to 8k, but where can i get new "performance" valve train? i can't find it anywhere? thanks guys i appreciate it
Old 05-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: HELP! i blew up my motor, now am rebuilding and need advice for turbo y7 rebuilt (young noob)

Run the afc hack? Do people actually still use that trash?
Old 05-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP! i blew up my motor, now am rebuilding and need advice for turbo y7 rebuilt (young noob)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">going to run afc hack, and i want a pretty reliable tune</TD></TR></TABLE>

ox·y·mo·ron

NOUN:
pl. ox·y·mo·ra or ox·y·mo·rons
A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a deafening silence and a mournful optimist.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: HELP! i blew up my motor, now am rebuilding and need advice for turbo y7 rebuilt (inspyral)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by inspyral &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ox·y·mo·ron

NOUN:
pl. ox·y·mo·ra or ox·y·mo·rons
A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a deafening silence and a mournful optimist. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 05-25-2007, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP! i blew up my motor, now am rebuilding and need advice for turbo y7 rebuilt (DfwBB6)

I'd leave the bore stock, so when you blow it up again, you can still rebuild the motor

If you are dead set on the hack, then do yourself a favor and look up MSD timing retard, so you can at least pull timing. Remember, just becuase you are putting in rods and pistons, does not mean you can run stock timing

Old 05-25-2007, 08:19 PM

Default Re: HELP! i blew up my motor, now am rebuilding and need advice for turbo y7 rebuilt (coneheadsracin

i can only use the hack because if i convert to obd-1, then im not legal......i'd like to run 10 psi, im happy with that........but i need some actual advice, not just criticism on my fuel management......
Old 05-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP! i blew up my motor, now am rebuilding and need advice for turbo y7 rebuilt (coneheadsracin

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i can only use the hack because if i convert to obd-1, then im not legal</TD></TR></TABLE>

Newsflash, turbos aren't legal on your car.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but i need some actual advice, not just criticism on my fuel management......</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is currently no solution that allows you to retain stock OBD2 ECU that will allow you to tune the car correctly. Y7 is VERY similar to Y8 in it's very conservative ignition timing requirements... actually, they like a little more timing than Y8, but less than the other non-Y D-series engines. As such, you run the AFC hack that ADVANCES your timing under boost and HAHAHAHAHAAAhahahahaAHAHAHAhaHAHAahAAaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I told you so.

You can either convert to OBD1/run a standalone and learn how to hold the wastegate open, swap injectors, and plug back in the OBD2 ECU once a year for inspection... which is at most an hour's work... or you can generally do stupid **** because you think that us criticising your "engine management" doesn't have anything to do with giving you actual advice.

Reread this thread, and pay close attention. You're planning on doing AFC hack and then getting upset when EVERYONE tells you not to, and claiming they're being unhelpful and unconstructive. Uhm, hello?? Does it occur to you that AFC hack = bad idea??
Old 05-25-2007, 11:22 PM
* B A N N E D *

What's the point of staying with the y7 as opposed to the identically priced y8?
Old 05-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Semtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What's the point of staying with the y7 as opposed to the identically priced y8?</TD></TR></TABLE>
as far as i know y8's generally cost more
Old 05-26-2007, 02:06 AM
* B A N N E D *

Not if you're an ebay ninja like me
Old 05-26-2007, 05:41 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Semtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not if you're an ebay ninja like me </TD></TR></TABLE>

because i have a y7 and there is no need for a y8, 200 whp and 200 wtq is all i want, 10 psi doesn't even requiere that, i would like to eventually run it, and you say to plug back in your stock ecu and injectors and such for inspection??? wouldn't you lean your fuel out like crazy and risk blowing it up? and what about emissions? your not going to pass that with the stock equipment?
Old 05-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you say to plug back in your stock ecu and injectors and such for inspection??? wouldn't you lean your fuel out like crazy and risk blowing it up? and what about emissions? your not going to pass that with the stock equipment?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Reread what I said a second time:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Joseph Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">convert to OBD1/run a standalone and learn how to hold the wastegate open, swap injectors, and plug back in the OBD2 ECU once a year for inspection.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How are you going to blow anything up with that part's configuration?

How can you not pass emissions with the stock equipment?

Seriously, bro, you need to do a bit more research and work on your understanding of how everything works together in harmony before you boost your car. It's not super duper hard, but there is a little bit of work you have to do in order to grasp it all. Keep plugging at it and you'll do fine.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:00 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Joseph Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Reread what I said a second time:

How are you going to blow anything up with that part's configuration?

How can you not pass emissions with the stock equipment?

Seriously, bro, you need to do a bit more research and work on your understanding of how everything works together in harmony before you boost your car. It's not super duper hard, but there is a little bit of work you have to do in order to grasp it all. Keep plugging at it and you'll do fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the advice, but i have a good enough grasp on it, i got it taken care of....i didn't see you posting to hold the wastegate open, i'll admit i haven't heard of that
Old 05-27-2007, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So you want to try 8k on a head that sucks past 5k, and with 8:1 compression as well? You should try it, I'd enjoy seeing a set of vitaras with holes punched in them.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the advice, but i have a good enough grasp on it, i got it taken care of....i didn't see you posting to hold the wastegate open, i'll admit i haven't heard of that</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you had a good grasp on it the idea would have occured to you.

Your name is young noob and you are asking basic questions. I'm not downing you, we all started somewhere, but you need to be aware of what rung you occupy on the old knowledge ladder... and even more aware of the next rung above you. You aren't going to fly up to the top of the ladder by tapping your heels together thrice, homeslice - start climbing.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the advice, <FONT COLOR="red">but i have a good enough grasp on it</FONT>, i got it taken care of....i didn't see you posting to hold the wastegate open, i'll admit i haven't heard of that</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, you sure don't. Listen to J. Davis. He's probably the most experienced person who will be civil to you on this board. I'm keeping this short because I - in opposition - cannot remain civil when faced with blithe ignorance

Good day, sir
Old 05-27-2007, 10:21 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So you want to try 8k on a head that sucks past 5k, and with 8:1 compression as well? You should try it, I'd enjoy seeing a set of vitaras with holes punched in them.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i am currently porting and polishing my spare y7 head as we speak

and yes im a noob, im trying to get into the forced induction game, i have pretty good experience with suspension, im also just trying to do some new stuff that isn't typically done, and asking for your advice on here, i don't think what i said is that stupid of a question, **** i'd like to run 7-8 psi and rev to 8k and ill be happy, and i think thats reasonable for an afc hack to handle.......
Old 05-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">**** i'd like to run 7-8 psi and rev to 8k and ill be happy, and i think thats reasonable for an afc hack to handle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are aware that you are supposed to retard timing under boost, as the higher density combustion charge burns faster, not advance it ten degrees under boost?

You seem like a nice guy, but you won't listen to the ONE point that EVERY poster in this thread has commented on. Survey says... you are an idiot.

You ever breeding:

I should have known how this thread would turn out when I saw that stupid JDM crap in your avatar.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:26 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd like to...rev to 8k </TD></TR></TABLE>

You must be one of those fact-fighters with something to prove. YOU WON'T BE GOING TO 8k WITH THAT HEAD. It's $100 ******* dollars for a vtec head - go buy one.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:41 PM

geez you guys are meanies, i understand i need to retard timing, i never said that i was just going to ignore it.....and i already said that i was port and polishing the head, and i have a buddy of mine going to flow bench it for me, i have a vtec head in the basement, but i need to buy other misc. parts for it to work, and im not sure on this, but im pretty sure y7's create more torque than y8's, and yes, ill agree with you on my avatar, i am totally against jdm, i put that up there two years ago when i thought jdm was cool, its all whole bunch of hype to pay ungodly amounts of money for stupid ****,
Old 05-27-2007, 04:49 PM

http://www.turbod16.com/viewtopic.php?t=4140

here is a list of people running acf hack, with far more power than i want.....and on stock blocks, not even built like mine........
Old 05-27-2007, 04:54 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and i already said that i was port and polishing the head, and i have a buddy of mine going to flow bench it for me, i have a vtec head in the basement, but i need to buy other misc. parts for it to work, and im not sure on this, but im pretty sure y7's create more torque than y8's</TD></TR></TABLE>

Porting the head won't do jack **** for what you're trying to do. If you want to go to 8k (for whatever reason), you need a vtec head with a good cam.

And the y7 is not better than the y8, in any aspect.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:20 PM

i respect joseph davis's opinion, but semtec, what you are trying to say isn't making much sense, and yes, y7's make more tourqe than y8's, look at the numbers given in the link i posted
Old 05-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and you also have to remember that no 2 set ups are alike to comparing dyno's is useless. i know someone that got tuned on the SAFC hack and it didn't last long. but hey its your money down the drain do wat ever you want. even with your safc hack we'll see how much fun you have passing emissions
Old 05-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i don't understand why you want to rev to 8? you're definitely not making enough power up top to support your revs.

Quick Reply: HELP! i blew up my motor, now am rebuilding and need advice for turbo y7 rebuilt