Notices

Help! Greddy Turbo SOHC sputtering.....

Old 11-16-2006, 02:35 PM
Occupy GDD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Greddy Turbo SOHC sputtering.....

My friend's 99 ex is running a Greddy turbo kit and today when he fired up it started acting up for the first time. Its sputtering really bad. When you try to take off from first and give it gas it literally wants to die no matter how much gas you give it (its died a few times). Also he'll rev it in neutral and you can see "puffs" of black smoke from the exhaust (doesn't look good).

Any ideas what it could be? He changed the spark plugs with NGKs about two months so ago so I dont know what it could be. Also his SAFC rev meter isn't reading anymore . Anybody have any ideas cause i'm stumped .
Old 11-16-2006, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: Help! Greddy Turbo SOHC sputtering..... (Alex_G)

Check the plugs.
Also, is it running on the E manage?
Old 11-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Occupy GDD

Default Re: Help! Greddy Turbo SOHC sputtering..... (Autoworks)

I also told him to check the plugs but he thought it couldn't be since he just recently changed them. What's E manage? I'm sorry i'm still a noob at F/I unfortunately.......

All I know its obd2 and i'm not sure what else its running other than SAFC.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:31 PM

it sounds liek you only got part of the kit. i imagine the car is not going to run right w/o proper tuning of everything. if you don't get it done right you can blow the motor up.

i recommend taking it to a shop that knwos how to work onthem as they will best help you with the issue. there's jsut too mcuh info missing hre and it's too easy for soemoen to give you the wrong info as well and cause you to ruin the motor.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:56 PM

Default Re: (oscarmayer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oscarmayer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it sounds liek you only got part of the kit. i imagine the car is not going to run right w/o proper tuning of everything. if you don't get it done right you can blow the motor up.

i recommend taking it to a shop that knwos how to work onthem as they will best help you with the issue. there's jsut too mcuh info missing hre and it's too easy for soemoen to give you the wrong info as well and cause you to ruin the motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

die in a fire oscarmayer.

op: figure out what your friend has done in the way of engine managment. then we can help here in the forum
Old 11-16-2006, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ignition coil is what gives the rpm reading I think, swap that out
Old 11-17-2006, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AbitAvenger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AbitAvenger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ignition coil is what gives the rpm reading I think, swap that out</TD></TR></TABLE>
The reading does come from the coil, but if the coil went out the car would die on the spot.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Alex_G &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also told him to check the plugs but he thought it couldn't be since he just recently changed them. What's E manage? I'm sorry i'm still a noob at F/I unfortunately.......

All I know its obd2 and i'm not sure what else its running other than SAFC. </TD></TR></TABLE>
If he's on a AFC hack (for some reason I thought he just had an Apexi RSM) then check for loose wiring as well.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Autoworks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Autoworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The reading does come from the coil, but if the coil went out the car would die on the spot.
If he's on a AFC hack (for some reason I thought he just had an Apexi RSM) then check for loose wiring as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>true that

is there any kinda of engine management being used here?
Old 11-17-2006, 10:08 AM

guessess all guessess, we have nearly ZERO info except some symptons. no one can even come close to diagnosing this. this is one of those that he has little expirnece and we haev little knowledge that he needs someone who can put theri hands onthe car in order to work the issue.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (oscarmayer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oscarmayer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">guessess all guessess, we have nearly ZERO info except some symptons. no one can even come close to diagnosing this. this is one of those that he has little expirnece and we haev little knowledge that he needs someone who can put theri hands onthe car in order to work the issue.</TD></TR></TABLE>
troubleshooting=guessing with the given symptoms
Old 11-17-2006, 07:02 PM

yea but we dont; have enough info to even begain, and he doesn;t have enough knowledge to provide the info we need ot do it. so to keep him and us from having problems and keep him from blowing a motor, its best he jsut takes it to a shop for now.
I'm not saying it cna;t be done, I'm jsut saying right this moment with the info we have we cannot possible give any sort of diagnosis. there's just too much missing frmo it.

fuel
spark pkugs
coil
tune
fuel pressore
bad parts
bad dizzy
bad wiring
plug wires
cap and rotor
the lost goes on for miles.

so that's why i'm telling him tot take it to a shop. it will get done right, and faster than anyone guessing.