Notices

help! freshly sleeved block leaking coolant into cylinder#3?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! freshly sleeved block leaking coolant into cylinder#3?!?!

Just got my build done...

GSR block W/LS crank
CP 9.5:1 81.5mm
Manley turbo tuff rods
freshly decked B16 head w/GSR cams
supertech valvetrain
Darton midsleeves

got engine in car, and fired it up and cylinder #3 keeps getting coolant in it, tried replacing the head gasket... any suggestions?! I don't want to keep messing with it and dumping coolant in my freshly built motor?!?!?!

HELP!!!!

Old 07-31-2008, 03:35 PM

Default Re: help! freshly sleeved block leaking coolant into cylinder#3?!?! (x still jaded x)

who installed the sleeves?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help! freshly sleeved block leaking coolant into cylinder#3?!?! (hotrod99)

are you using a 81mm standard bore headgasket or a 81.5mm from cometic or GE?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:36 AM

Default Re: help! freshly sleeved block leaking coolant into cylinder#3?!?! (smoovy)

was the head pressure tested for leaking?
I know its uncommon but i HAVE seen it happen.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: help! freshly sleeved block leaking coolant into cylinder#3?!?! (CRXdan)

shoulda went with Golden Eagle !
Old 08-01-2008, 05:13 AM

Default Re: help! freshly sleeved block leaking coolant into cylinder#3?!?! (DaveF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaveF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shoulda went with Golden Eagle ! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree. I am currently having the same problem with my car and I'm losing boost because of it, but I haven't tried replacing the headgasket yet. I am currently running a cometic on a brand new motor build, and it started leaking like a week after I got tuned.

I am going to do a GE 84mm gasket soon. Have you done a compression test? Did you check to see if one of the sleeves sunk at all? I mean it would suck, but it happens. How badly are you burning through coolant? If its just a bit each time you run (check your overflow tank) then I am willing to say its the headgasket.

I'd advise you use some of that copper gasket spray, get ARP head studs, and torque it down properly. 80 ft lbs I believe is ARP's torque, however you need to torque it down, let it sit for an hour to flatten the gasket fully, and then loosen the nuts, and re-torque. You could be leaking if you didn't do it this way.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sleeves installed by a local race machine shop called Fowler Race engines.

the car has not even been driven yet, with an engine scope you can see coolant spraying into the cylinder when the piston is at its lowest in the cylinder...like there is a pinhole in the sleeve or something?!?!

im not certain on the headgasket used...i will find out.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is there a rep for DARTON on honda-tech that I could ask about the sleeve? has anyone else heard of a new sleeve having a pinhole in it?!?!
Old 08-03-2008, 06:20 PM

Default Re: (x still jaded x)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by x still jaded x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is there a rep for DARTON on honda-tech that I could ask about the sleeve? has anyone else heard of a new sleeve having a pinhole in it?!?!</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol no.....but honestly I doubt there is a pinhole, unless just running the car, the sleeve has already cracked slightly there. Even at idle is it spraying in? Reason I ask is because there is little to none pressure on the coolant system at idle because the water pump is spinning so much slower.

I'd still be inclined to think its the head gasket. Just pull the head man, its like a 2 hour job to take the head off the block (plus or minus dependind on the complexity of your setup). Save yourself the guessing game and just do it
Old 08-04-2008, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its not spraying in at idle, they pressure tested the cooling system then rotated the crank manually while looking into the cylinder with an engine scope. thats how he saw it spraying in.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (x still jaded x)

I am going to guess a sleeve sunk.I mean many reputable shops with tons of experience have sleeves sink.I mean companies like aebs,golden eagle,and Benson's so a smaller shop like Fowler with much less experience will have a much bigger chance of hjaving a sleeve drop or faulty installation.Is the shop recommended by Darton to do the sleeves and are they a honda shop.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (siblues)

it seems like you know what your doing or your mechanic, so . mine is @ GE getting pressure tested as we speak. I am also going to have it O-ringed. a better seal IMO.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:34 PM

Default Re: (smoovy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smoovy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it seems like you know what your doing or your mechanic, so . mine is @ GE getting pressure tested as we speak. I am also going to have it O-ringed. a better seal IMO.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm o-ringed and still burn coolant for what its worth, but I'm using Cometic...I'm going to replace it with a GE gasket and see if it helps.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (totsie7944)

you could have bigger problems than just your Headgasket. it should seal perfect with O-rings. I dunno.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (siblues)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siblues &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am going to guess a sleeve sunk.I mean many reputable shops with tons of experience have sleeves sink.I mean companies like aebs,golden eagle,and Benson's so a smaller shop like Fowler with much less experience will have a much bigger chance of hjaving a sleeve drop or faulty installation.Is the shop recommended by Darton to do the sleeves and are they a honda shop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

According to info on Benson's sleeving he never has a sleeve sink...where have you heard of his sleeves sinking?