Help! Did my fuel pump short out?

Old 09-26-2015, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Help! Did my fuel pump short out?

My car is a 600whp stock 125,000 miles block running a walbro 450 e85 pump. The pump is wired correctely with the science of speed wiring kit and the walbro 450 install kit. My setup has been trouble free for years but today all of I sudden when cruzing the car will buck because the airfuel would go to full lean. I have a air fuel gauge. The car would do this non stop. But I limped the car back home and I found that the fuse holder for my fuel pump is badly melted. I checked the wiring and it all looked fine and the relay for the fuel pump looked fine. I replaced the radio shack fuse holder with the fuse holder that comes is the SOS fuel pump wire kit and the car still does the same thing. Just cruzing and it will buck and go full lean. What the hell happened? The new fuse holder is fine and is not mealting. So I don't know what to do now? I will try to pull the fuel pump hanger out tomorrow and have a look. But I don't really know what wrong. Do you think the fuel pump shorted out ?

Old 09-26-2015, 03:47 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Default Re: Help! Did my fuel pump short out?

What amperage fuse are you using?
Old 09-27-2015, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost View Post
What amperage fuse are you using?
i'm useing a 25amp fuse
Old 09-27-2015, 04:24 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

That should be fine as the pump under normal operation only draws 21-22amps. However if it keeps killing fuses and holders it might be suffering some sort of failure. Typically if the pump shorted it should stop working. Granted since gasoline isn't electrically conductive it would mean you either have considerable water in your fuel or something inside the pump physically failed.

Have you pulled the pump to check it?
Old 09-27-2015, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost View Post
That should be fine as the pump under normal operation only draws 21-22amps. However if it keeps killing fuses and holders it might be suffering some sort of failure. Typically if the pump shorted it should stop working. Granted since gasoline isn't electrically conductive it would mean you either have considerable water in your fuel or something inside the pump physically failed.

Have you pulled the pump to check it?
I have not pulled the pump yet but I will soon. I have been running 100% e85 for the past year. I hear e85 traps water. You think there is water in my fuel tank? I pump e85 often so the fuel in the tank does not ever sit for very long.

I will try to get rid of the relay and hard wire the pump from the battery straight to the pump and see if that does anything. If now I'll pull the pump.

That's for your help
Old 09-28-2015, 10:39 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Have you checked your fuel filter? Depending on which one you have E85 can cause it to collapse. Also I've noticed E85 setups seem to need fairly regular service intervals. If there's an issue with your filter it could easily cause your pump to draw a huge amperage load.