Notices

help with apexi avcr - will not boost above 7psi

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with apexi avcr - will not boost above 7psi

my brother and I have been trying to get this avcr to work right. We cannot get boost past 7 pounds (.5), even with duty cycle at 90% (target boost is .7), the highest the duty cycle will go. We can also hear the solenoid working when boost comes on. Also the pressure sensor reads exactly the same measures as the greddy peak/hold guage.

we have NO (normally open) connected to a vacuum source, and the COM port connected to the actuator (internal wastegate).

a side question i had was if having both grounds at the same point is ok? I know on the vafc it specifically says to ground one before the other. However the avcr doesn't specify whether or not to do so.

I have searched and found an issue like this, but no solution found. any help with this is appreciated. thanks,

rick
Old 05-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: help with apexi avcr - will not boost above 7psi (5thgen)

How far away do you have the solenoid mounted from the actuator on the wastegate? If you have a long vacuum line, this might be contributing.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help with apexi avcr - will not boost above 7psi (boosted hybrid)

we had about 6 feet total vacuum hoses at first. we shortened the line and also used bigger hose. the total length now is less than 3 feet, it made no difference.

we also used a blitz solenoid to see if that was the problem, but the problem still exists.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the vacuum hoses going into the solenoid, are they going straight in and out? I just install the AVCR's by sight anymore since I have done so many, but if the vacuum lines are going straight in and out you have it hooked up in the orientation for external wastegate.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help with apexi avcr - will not boost above 7psi (boosted hybrid)

the vacuum hoses are at 90*....i'm pretty sure it is set for internal wastegate

also we had an old school blitz ssbc on the car and it worked pretty well. 10-11 psi was no problem at all. That is why im just confused...

thanks for the help, btw
Old 05-06-2004, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt

anyone know?
Old 05-06-2004, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a problem with the AVC-R on a friend's turbo D16Z6. Stock wastegate was 7 psi, it wouldn't give us more than 9 psi of boost.

Tear it all apart and find that one of the IC coupler hoses is torn, and leaking boost. We're pretty sure that the turbo was just overspooling and the AFC was trying to do it's job. He bent some shift forks before we discovered the problem, a case of the ****-its developed, and the new transmission hasn't been installed yet so we can test for sure.

Again, I'm pretty certain the leaky coupling is the culprit, so check your piping, but... if you run across anything wierd, let me know. "We" still haven't proven it was the coupler, and "I" am the one gets to fix it.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help with apexi avcr - will not boost above 7psi (J. Davis)

update:

checked all charge piping....checked bov....vacuum, etc etc.

boost just seems really dead...slow spool etc. We unplugged the actuator and left it open atmosphere, and it was the same. I'm now thinking that the wastegate door may be leaking exhaust.....we'll probably check by sunday to make sure though.