Notices

Help! anyone know what brand this is?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Help! anyone know what brand this is?

Anybody have an idea of what brand manifold this is? I bought it from D-t racing division and they told me it was a spoolin performance but doesn't Spoolin usually have a badge located on one of the runners? I may be wrong but if anyone could put some insight on this it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:50 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Help! anyone know what brand this is?

this is like asking what hair color a model uses based off a photo lol

most spoolin manifolds have the company logo machined into the head flange (i don't think the early ones did), no badge on a runner.

without any identifying marks or better pics it could be one of many turbo manifold companies... they all basically copy one popular design anyway
Old 03-05-2014, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there are no identifying logo's on it, I can put up more pics of it if that would help. you never know if someone knows or has used this manifold before so I figured id give it a shot. It is basically brand new, it was mounted on a car, but the customer no longer wanted to continue the build so I grabbed it for an awesome price.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-05-2014, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any view that you need to better look at this manifold let me know. I am very curious as to what manifold this is.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civicboy69
any view that you need to better look at this manifold let me know. I am very curious as to what manifold this is.
Hell at this point you already purchased it without knowing what brand it is. All that matters now is that it works and dosent crack. Just slap it on and find out.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SilverEK96
Hell at this point you already purchased it without knowing what brand it is. All that matters now is that it works and dosent crack. Just slap it on and find out.
I'm obviously gonna use the manifold. I was wondering if it was something that someone has seen or used before, that's all.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm obviously gonna use the manifold. I was wondering if it was something that someone has seen or used before, that's all.
They all look the same and/or similar.

There are hundreds of builds on H-T using top-mounts that look like that. Some have slightly different wastegate position and some have different turbo positions like my older PeakBoost top-mount. Everyone has copied the Full-race design, since it is the most logical and best fit for many different size turbochargers.
If you are just wondering what "brand" it is to add to your parts list. I doubt anyone will care as long as it works and doesn't crack (like stated above).
Old 03-05-2014, 03:42 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

^basically...

one company makes a manifold design that works and everyone copies it. they all look identical and each company changes small things all the time, so without company markings it's.a crapshoot
Old 03-05-2014, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4genaccordfreak
They all look the same and/or similar.

There are hundreds of builds on H-T using top-mounts that look like that. Some have slightly different wastegate position and some have different turbo positions like my older PeakBoost top-mount. Everyone has copied the Full-race design, since it is the most logical and best fit for many different size turbochargers.
If you are just wondering what "brand" it is to add to your parts list. I doubt anyone will care as long as it works and doesn't crack (like stated above).
Ok thanks for the info gentlemen. I just hope I don't spend all of this money on the manifold, and now I need a 46mm gate and I am changing the 3" vband dp to a step up 4bolt 2.5" to 3" so I can use my garrett t3 t04e 57 trim on until I get bigger injectors and turbo.I have been looking for good prices on precision 46mm wastegate ive seen 300.00shipped brand new with all springs and clamps. does that sound like a good deal?
Old 03-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

precisions wastegates suck, in a cycle test they failed after the eBay gates and well before turbosmart and TiAL gates

those two are the only brand I would run.

also you're going to find that the longer runner length (even coated) is going to make that t04e fairly laggy. for that turbo size and your power goal it's overkill, you would have been better off with a miniram or a ramhorn... what turbo do you plan on upgrading to and what's your power goal?
Old 03-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been looking for good prices on precision 46mm wastegate ive seen 300.00shipped brand new with all springs and clamps. does that sound like a good deal?
for that piece of crap no! why not add $60 more to the $300 you have and just get a tial.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It look very similar with the forged performance mani i had some months ago.
Altho witout marking it could be a private copy.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
precisions wastegates suck, in a cycle test they failed after the eBay gates and well before turbosmart and TiAL gates

those two are the only brand I would run.

also you're going to find that the longer runner length (even coated) is going to make that t04e fairly laggy. for that turbo size and your power goal it's overkill, you would have been better off with a miniram or a ramhorn... what turbo do you plan on upgrading to and what's your power goal?
right now my setup is just a stock ls with gsr trans
garret t3 to4e 57trim(upgrade to either a 5858 or 6262)
tial 38mm wastegate
ebay intercooler pipping & bov
450cc Injectors (ya im upgrading as well)
255 walboro (upgrading soon)
cast mani (cant wait to chuck in the garbage)
golden eagle fuel rail
arp rod & head bolts
cant think of anything else of the top of my head, but my power goal is 600whp. im currently looking for a vtec head and piston/ rod combo's as well. Im pretty much taking my old dd turbo and making it into a weekend warrior. Id like to see the cycle tests for all wastegates. I was actually talking to track forge via email and they said that's what they use on all there setups and can get precision gates at wholesale. I run a tial now and I love it, I just thought if everyone seems to be switching (that I know of) to precision there must be something good coming from it.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
It look very similar with the forged performance mani i had some months ago.
Altho witout marking it could be a private copy.

I am baffled at how no one would put there logo on this nice of a manifold. the mother ****** is thick and heavy. and to be coated on top of that I would want someone knowing my product if it looked this good. imo tho.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:14 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

right now my setup is just a stock ls with gsr trans

garret t3 to4e 57trim(upgrade to either a 5858 or 6262)

tial 38mm wastegate

ebay intercooler pipping & bov

450cc Injectors (ya im upgrading as well)

255 walboro (upgrading soon)

cast mani (cant wait to chuck in the garbage)

golden eagle fuel rail

arp rod & head bolts

cant think of anything else of the top of my head, but my power goal is 600whp. im currently looking for a vtec head and piston/ rod combo's as well. Im pretty much taking my old dd turbo and making it into a weekend warrior. Id like to see the cycle tests for all wastegates. I was actually talking to track forge via email and they said that's what they use on all there setups and can get precision gates at wholesale. I run a tial now and I love it, I just thought if everyone seems to be switching (that I know of) to precision there must be something good coming from it.
the cycle tests aren't exactly in the public domain, you can see the eBay copy cyclic tests on YouTube. I can tell you the precision gate failed way before TiAL or Turbosmart (i think it was somewhere around 40,000-50,000 cycles) TiAL and Turbosmart went over 200k without failure so they just stopped testing. TheShodan has the full results of the test somewhere, I'll get him to post the actual cyclic test numbers.

the 6262 supports damn near 800whp so I would consider that overkill for a piston/rod stock sleeve build. the 5858 is much more reasonable but again, you still aren't in the range where your setup will benefit any from a topmount, especially if this is a street car.

if the price was right I would sell it and get a more street friendly manifold such as a mini ram. the shorter runners mean hotter, faster exhaust gasses which result in improved turbocharger response, the total opposite of a topmount.

the long runners mean the exhuast gasses slow considerably by the time they reach the turbine, also the large surface area of the runners mean colder exhaust gasses (even coating and wrapping can't stop the loss)

coating/using a blanket on the turbine housing will help response but not like a shorter runner manifold... even 1200whp SFWD cars are using short runner turbo manifolds (a little longer than a ramhorn but shorter than a top mount)
Old 03-06-2014, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
the cycle tests aren't exactly in the public domain, you can see the eBay copy cyclic tests on YouTube. I can tell you the precision gate failed way before TiAL or Turbosmart (i think it was somewhere around 40,000-50,000 cycles) TiAL and Turbosmart went over 200k without failure so they just stopped testing. TheShodan has the full results of the test somewhere, I'll get him to post the actual cyclic test numbers.

the 6262 supports damn near 800whp so I would consider that overkill for a piston/rod stock sleeve build. the 5858 is much more reasonable but again, you still aren't in the range where your setup will benefit any from a topmount, especially if this is a street car.

if the price was right I would sell it and get a more street friendly manifold such as a mini ram. the shorter runners mean hotter, faster exhaust gasses which result in improved turbocharger response, the total opposite of a topmount.

the long runners mean the exhuast gasses slow considerably by the time they reach the turbine, also the large surface area of the runners mean colder exhaust gasses (even coating and wrapping can't stop the loss)

coating/using a blanket on the turbine housing will help response but not mount)
like a shorter runner manifold... even 1200whp SFWD cars are using short runner turbo manifolds (a little longer than a ramhorn but shorter than a top

Thanks wantboost, I appreciate the time for answering these questions and I am leaning towards the 5858. I understand that smaller runners mean quicker and hotter exhaust gasses, but for the money I paid for this manifold I couldn't pass it up. My buddies are running lsv with stock bottoms with a 5857 and trackforged topmount. made over 600. It is very possible to get to my goal with a topmount, lsv, a bigger turbo, injectors, and wastegate. the piston/rod combo is the icing on the cake....oo and the manifold came with a badass downpipe 3".