Notices

Heat Issues... I could use a hand.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat Issues... I could use a hand.

Im having heat issues with my b16a and Im not sure why. My EGT gauge will read 700 celcius (1400 degrees F) while cruising at 70 mph which is about 4rpm. This cant be normal... considering aluminum tends to crack at 800C. Im not boosting while im cruising btw. Im even running on a diet tune.

I dont understand why its that high. My mech and I have done everything we can with the Apexi Power FC to keep it down but it wont. I will say though, the EGT gauge will drop like a hat when I let go of the gas.

It would be awesome if you guys can tell me about a few remedies. I know an oil cooler and huge radiator will help but I live in South Carolina on the humid coast and WILL not give up my A/C.

Here are my motor specs:

1999 Si

Built JDM B16A short block blueprinted x2 1.7 liter bore 8.5:1 compression polished & balanced crank (Courtesy of Import Builders)
Wiseco turbo pistons with IB Spec H-beam rods
JDM Type-R oil pump
JDM Type-R water pump
Greddy 18g turbo kit
Bosch distributor cap
Bosch platinum spark plugs
Ported and milled Type R head
Apex'i Power FC Commander
Greddy Profec B Turbo Timer
Greddy Boost controller
Greddy EGT gauge
Autometer Boost gauge
AEM fuel rail
440 RC injectors
3" Tanabe exhaust straight pipe, no cat
All Trust engine wiring and hoses
Custom Cometic head,intake manifold and exhaust manifold gaskets
ARP Headstuds
Old 04-16-2007, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Heat Issues... I could use a hand. (remmyfch)

well, i hate to state the obvious, but you didnt mention it. Check for air in the system, faulty therm maybe, and what kind of mixture are you running, more water=better cooling. Easy stuff, but sometimes thats the stuff we dont think about
Old 04-16-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Heat Issues... I could use a hand. (sol2hatch)

Im not running an injection kit if that is what you are wondering. The temp guage stays at normal levels..its the EGT's im really worried about. Unless you are implying about something else.

And yes, I damn near broke the search feature trying to find a similar issue. With everything checking out tuning wise... im wondering if my greddy EGT gauge is broken or something is fishy about it. I mean its wired to the exhaust manifld where it should be.

My mech did say he was concerned how slow the rate of the gauge jumped up when you hist the gas on it.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:17 PM

wow, i am an idiot, i saw heating issues and assumed you were talking about water temp. I didnt really read much of your post either, but anyway. EGT, gotcha.

Have you messed with timing, running too lean maybe? What do you mean "diet tune"?
Old 04-16-2007, 10:26 PM

Diet tune meaning at some points im running stipid rich to keep the heat down. Timing has been dealt with too. There is only so much you can do with a first gen apexi power fc. It just doesnt make sense. The a/fs are perfect, timing is fine... i dont know what else to do without going drastic... and I dont want to do that by losing my a/c because charleston sucks in the summer
Old 04-16-2007, 10:32 PM

well, turbos are not my thing, but you might get better answers from people who know about it from the forced induction forum. Try that out. You can have a mod move it for you.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:38 PM

Thanks for the help. I figured it would go in here since it had to do with engine temps but yea..

*mods please move to turbo forum*
Old 04-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1400 egt is a littl ehigh but not to drastic. Deopends where you have your egt probe is a good question. Also your running a apexi. thats half your problem. with all the freeware out there to tune a vehicle you chose to go apexi piggyback. not a great move.

heat issues with water temps have to do with high oil temps which are usually cause by to tight of clearences in the motor. also air bubbles and headgaskets cause this issue.

As for high egt's well that all in a tune, less timineg will produce lower egt's UNLES you have ot much timing out which will cause combustion in your exhaust tubes. A great way to spool a turbo but a horrible way to keep driving it. And by making the engine run really rich to compensate for the high egt's isnt going to help. your basically feeding the problem. Byt running very rich your allowing plenty of unburned fuel to dump into the exhaust tubing and burn therefore rasing your egt's as well.

My suggestion is get it tuned on crome or turboedit or hondata something cause piggy backs just dont cut it IMO
Old 04-17-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Heat Issues... I could use a hand. (Turbo-LS)

Sorry, but since when is a standlone setup a piggy back?
Old 04-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by remmyfch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry, but since when is a standlone setup a piggy back?</TD></TR></TABLE>

My bad i read that wrong, well i still stand by to little timing seeing they say its a very conservative tune
Old 04-18-2007, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Heat Issues... I could use a hand. (Turbo-LS)

Thanks. I do need to sit it on a dyno. I was able to get ahold of Greddy. They claimed that 700 is actually ok. I still find it odd but thats what they said.