Notices

Head build now oil loss? exp ppl help plz

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head build now oil loss? exp ppl help plz

Ladies and gents this is long but i need help so im going to be as descriptive as psooible to help... please read teh whole thing.... thanks for looking and offering advice.

Here we go... after a long a tedious week i finally got all the "bugs" worked out and the car was running
for those who do not know my new setup is this

newly built GSR head with:
all new seals from honda
supertech valvetrain (in. and ex. valves, titanium springs and retainers) honda keepers
all new studs etc.

Head was assembled by Dover and passed a vac inspection-- so perfect seal suposedly

I used all new honda gaskets including HG.
hondata intake mani gasket-- stock IM

inline pro mani
innovative t3/t4 .63A/R stage 3 wheel w/ 57trim
2.5" DP to kteller test pipe, to thermal 3" ex. (flex on DP)
tial WG (not connected with vac line yet)
greddy oil block adapter used for oil press guage tap
oil lines by STAN at fast-turbo
ARP head studs

I swapped heads myself with the help of a friend- he has done this many times for ls-vtec guys- and he is stumped.

so after assembly i drove the car for the day around town here and there- everything seemed fine and i worked out the quirks like a fuel line leak etc....

the trek from Panama city, FL to atlanta, GA is 310 miles. I had to move- car seemed fine- cold either rent a car and transport or drive-- so i drove... with about one and a half hrs to go - i get to a stop light and notice oil pressure a bit low, typically rides right at the same or a bit higher than my RPM guage in BAR ( so if im at 4000 rpm the oil pressure is usually at 4.2 - 4.4 BAR) well at this point it was at 3.9-4.1 i figured it was ok because the oil was hot from driving and maybe a bit lower on pressure since it had thinned--

I decided to keep going-- when i get to atlanta , i need gas-- (300 miles on a turbo car on one tank WOO HOO but i wasnt boosting-- back to story)

so when i pull over i notice car is sputtering and noticed a quick "click - click - click....." like an engine knock-- also oil pressure dropped almost to ZERO and the factory oil pressure light came on as well. - you know the one GOD himself has to turn on.....

anyhow. i dumped in three quarts to fill it back. pulled the 15amp ECU fuse, primed the pump and it started right up no prob an now standing still pressure was at 1.0 BAR where its supposed to be

so ---- no leaks-- and no smoke--- where did i lose teh oil..... new head on the car - so i was babying it- never went over 4500 rpm, never held it there long- proper break in of speeding up and slowing down.

only trace smoke ( and when i say trace i mean TRACE) smoke when you rev but it could be steam-- richness, etc....not only oil-- also thermal exhaust i have is used so i thought it culd be old soot....

help if you can... thanks
Old 11-23-2004, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Head build now oil loss? exp ppl help plz (95gsrturbo)

Old 11-24-2004, 09:50 AM

UPDATE Its been raining like crazy here and i just got a chance to look at the car--
I decided to check the oil with just the dipstickk- all i can do for now

when i pulled i noticed 2 things...

1) there were a lot of black small chunks in the oil- i freaked thinking they were metal from bearings--- but when i grabbed them with my hand they just disolved with a little rubbing

they felt like hardened charcoal parts??? carbonized something but what??

2) the oil level was WAAAY above the high mark on the dipstick-- we know honda uses teh two hole method for low and high on the oil marks, well this was about 2.5-3" above the high mark-- so i never lost the oil i thought i did....

why would pressure drop like that?
bad pump now? poor baffles? please help
Old 11-24-2004, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it were the oil pump, you would not have oil pressure at all.

drain the oil mixture into a pan and see what you come up with.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:22 AM

coolant and coolant level look okay? wonder if your pickup is clogged with that "black stuff"
Old 11-24-2004, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Head build now oil loss? exp ppl help plz (dennis)

coolant and coolant levels both ok-- are you thinking of blown HG?

also another friend noted that i may have messed up oil pickup gasket.
as we were doing the rebuild we noted trace scratches on the cylinder walls. so to determine if rod bearings were ok we pulled the oil pan, pickup and sump..

In the process nothing (to my knowledge was damaged) but i may have damaged the gasket to the oil pickup/sump.... this could cause oil pressure to drop as its not feeding properly thru the pickup... kinda like a hole in a straw.....

possible??? any thoughts before i pull this out???
Old 11-25-2004, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95gsrturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> any thoughts before i pull this out???</TD></TR></TABLE>

reguardless what we might think it could be, you wont find out the real problem until you get your hands dirty. be sure to check everything over while you pulling it all apart, so you can pin point the problem. goodluck with it.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:06 AM

Yeah, like dturbo said, you're just gonna have to bite the bullet and get dirty. My bet is on the pickup or pump. That would explain your loss of pressure, but no loss of oil. Let us know what happens.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Head build now oil loss? exp ppl help plz (dennis)

Problem solved!!!

you guys were right it was the oil pickup- either I was a dumbass or my friend who helped out. the oil pickup wasnt bolted up properly, out of the 4 that hold it only 1 was left. the other 3 had rattled themselves loose.

so installed a new gasket, bolted everything back up, torqued them down this time!
ran fine so far

thanks HT
Old 11-27-2004, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Head build now oil loss? exp ppl help plz (Dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if it were the oil pump, you would not have oil pressure at all.

drain the oil mixture into a pan and see what you come up with.</TD></TR></TABLE>
One of those little carbon pieces could have been stuck in the oil pump spring, holding it open, causing a loss of oil pressure. And then it may have dissolved and the spring closed fully, raising the oil pressure.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Head build now oil loss? exp ppl help plz (m R g S r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m R g S r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
One of those little carbon pieces could have been stuck in the oil pump spring, holding it open, causing a loss of oil pressure. And then it may have dissolved and the spring closed fully, raising the oil pressure. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i was refering to the oil pump as if the gears had shatterd or cracked.

reguardless, the owner of the car has already stated that the pick up tube had become loose due to nuts rattling off.