Notices

Have question for the people that might know. Turbo itr...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have question for the people that might know. Turbo itr...

ok, im wondering, how much psi can a 97 jdm itr motor handle? can it handle 11psi with the right tune? or should i stop at 9psi? or not at all?

comments welcome
Old 01-13-2009, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Have question for the people that might know. Turbo itr...

What turbo? What kind of fuel? with the right tune and right fuel it can handle a lot of things... it just may be expensive to run...
Old 01-13-2009, 01:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i belive it was HT user REDCX, that had a stock ITR motor going 10's. so in that case, over 400 hp (on racegas)
Old 01-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i have a complete greddy kit, with the down pipe upgraded to 3", has 310 rc injectors, but was thinking of 440's. im going to use hondata. picked it up for cheap, so i figured since my car is bared for th e 1.8, it woldnt hurt to use a carb leagal (sort of) kit. i know it boost 7 psi, but thats not a whole lot ( im spoiled with my supra as far as turbos go).
Old 01-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikeg'seg
well i have a complete greddy kit, with the down pipe upgraded to 3", has 310 rc injectors, but was thinking of 440's. im going to use hondata. picked it up for cheap, so i figured since my car is bared for th e 1.8, it woldnt hurt to use a carb leagal (sort of) kit. i know it boost 7 psi, but thats not a whole lot ( im spoiled with my supra as far as turbos go).
from what i understand, 440's are only good to 250-280whp, how much boost you can run, how much hp you can make all depends on the size of the turbo, you can have a small turbo lets say a .42 .48 if you understand what numbers mean, .42 is the size of the hotside, .48 is the size of the coldside, hot side being exhaust, cold being charge okay..

now say you have a .42 .48 and your pushing 10 psi and you make around 300whp, (this is just a figure) then say you upgrade your turbo to a .63 .50, the the exhaust side is big, which means turbo lag, which also means your going to make power higher in the rpm range, then the charge side is also bigger, so running this turbo at 10 psi you are going to make more power then the old smaller turbo...

so now i cant explain **** that great lol... how much psi doesnt mean anything, what you shoot for is a turbo big enough you wont run out of effeciency (the turbo stops making power after a certain psi, and no matter how much psi you push, it will only spike and fall back down to where it is effecient, so if you hit 10 psi and it runs out of effeciency at 11, and you try to run 15psi, it will hit 15 then fall back down to 10) and a turbo small enough you dont have alot of boost lag, then when you find the right size turbo, then you make a goal, of how much power you want to make, what it takes to get there, how big of injectors you need, what engine management program are you going to need.. honestly if you want to make like 360whp+ i would run 650cc injectors, it doesnt hurt to go to big, but not huge, its nice to have a little room for improvement...

you cant just throw something together unless your not worried about making power or being reliable
Old 01-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by siregcivic
from what i understand, 440's are only good to 250-280whp, how much boost you can run, how much hp you can make all depends on the size of the turbo, you can have a small turbo lets say a .42 .48 if you understand what numbers mean, .42 is the size of the hotside, .48 is the size of the coldside, hot side being exhaust, cold being charge okay..

now say you have a .42 .48 and your pushing 10 psi and you make around 300whp, (this is just a figure) then say you upgrade your turbo to a .63 .50, the the exhaust side is big, which means turbo lag, which also means your going to make power higher in the rpm range, then the charge side is also bigger, so running this turbo at 10 psi you are going to make more power then the old smaller turbo...

so now i cant explain **** that great lol... how much psi doesnt mean anything, what you shoot for is a turbo big enough you wont run out of effeciency (the turbo stops making power after a certain psi, and no matter how much psi you push, it will only spike and fall back down to where it is effecient, so if you hit 10 psi and it runs out of effeciency at 11, and you try to run 15psi, it will hit 15 then fall back down to 10) and a turbo small enough you dont have alot of boost lag, then when you find the right size turbo, then you make a goal, of how much power you want to make, what it takes to get there, how big of injectors you need, what engine management program are you going to need.. honestly if you want to make like 360whp+ i would run 650cc injectors, it doesnt hurt to go to big, but not huge, its nice to have a little room for improvement...

you cant just throw something together unless your not worried about making power or being reliable

maybe im not making myself clear. even though i got my answer already...

i was asking if it would be possible to run 11psi through a stock itr motor? the reason why im asking is, the itr motor is high compression. thats all. thank you.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeg'seg
maybe im not making myself clear. even though i got my answer already...

i was asking if it would be possible to run 11psi through a stock itr motor? the reason why im asking is, the itr motor is high compression. thats all. thank you.
psi means nothing, 11psi on one set-up could make 100less whp than 11psi on another set-up, dont use psi as a reference

power level/whp means everything

get it tuned right and from what ive heard stay at or below the 300whp mark and you should be fine on a stock internal itr motor