Notices

Has anyone put down good numbers using the "hack" without using some kind of BTM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone put down good numbers using the "hack" without using some kind of BTM?

Im just kinda curious if all of the poorly dynoed hack cars are loosing power because of all of the timing advance that the hack causes. Im wondering if a MSD BTM or something like it will actually improve top-end horsepower numbers while using the hack instead of using the hack alone?

Anyone have an experience with this or would like to add something feel free.

Modified by racinskittle at 8:35 AM 11/20/2003
Old 11-19-2003, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Has anyone put down good numbers using the "hack" without using some kind of BTM? (racinskittle)

I'd like to know this also
Old 11-19-2003, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Has anyone put down good numbers using the "hack" without using some kind of BTM? (racinskittle)

I made 247 whp with stock injectors, stock internals, close to stock ignition @ 8 psi with an s -afc.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Has anyone put down good numbers using the "hack" without using some kind of BTM? (tslag)

The high timing that the hack creates would help power if the car is running race gas, but its just not good for cars that are driven a lot.... Which is why I have low compression.. High timing ? not a problem, 93 oct ??? Not a problem, and/or 10+ psi ??? still not a problem..

I'm running stock dizzy timing, AFC hack, and 8.5/1 compression and it boost to 13psi without a problem ( which has me stumped b/c the MAP code never got tripped )... No BTM...

low compression = slow spool ?? I get 13psi at 3700rpms... And it holds to redline.
WRX

Still going to have swap to the SVO turbo for more power at a lower boost level..
Old 11-20-2003, 12:44 AM
New User

what i want to know is if anyone used cam gears to tune out the advance timing of the hack
Old 11-20-2003, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Has anyone put down good numbers using the "hack" without using some kind of BTM? (integrx)

89DXHUNCHBACK...

What do you have you idle at when you set your timing on the dizzy? 800? 1000?
Old 11-20-2003, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone put down good numbers using the "hack" without using some kind of BTM? (BoostedD15B7)

yeah that's a good question. You're supposed to have it at 670RPM +/- 50 when timed.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone put down good numbers using the "hack" without using some kind of BTM? (integrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what i want to know is if anyone used cam gears to tune out the advance timing of the hack</TD></TR></TABLE>

No its not valve timing that is the problem its ignition timing. You cannot get around it. Unless you use some sort of BTM. Dangerous stuff IMO not to pull timming.

Rob
Old 11-20-2003, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Has anyone put down good numbers using the "hack" without using some kind of BTM? (rjardy)

So lets say someone has 9:1 compression pistons in there d16, does the lower compression allow for more timing advance without adverses effects?
Old 11-20-2003, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone put down good numbers using the "hack" without using some kind of BTM? (2muchPSI)

It wont allow for timing advance there will just be more room for error. So yeah it is somewhat of a sfety net i suppose. Honestly why dont you guys look into a rom editor? To confusing? Not trying to be rude, but its just so much of a better way to control engine parameters. You can have controll of timming and fuel, and the fuel control is not done through volatge manipulation of the MAP. I dont know, it just seems so easy to do it, no reason in my head to use the hack.

Rob
Old 11-20-2003, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Has anyone put down good numbers using the "hack" without using some kind of BTM? (rjardy)

With stock dizzy timing you should idle around 900rpms, but my car is an angry idler ( about the only thing I can complain about ) it idles down to 700 sometimes and other times it idles fine...

My friend has the same set-up, but uses a greddy kit and FMU. He has his dizzy advanced all the way and boosts it to 13psi sometimes ( insane on the FMU, I KNOW !!! Crazy ****... ).
Old 11-20-2003, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

using a btm is a very good idea, ive seen a car run a turbo zc setup with an afc + btm for a looong time. so reliability issues at all.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone put down good numbers using the "hack" without using some kind of BTM? (89dxhunchback

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 89dxhunchback &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With stock dizzy timing you should idle around 900rpms, but my car is an angry idler ( about the only thing I can complain about ) it idles down to 700 sometimes and other times it idles fine...

My friend has the same set-up, but uses a greddy kit and FMU. He has his dizzy advanced all the way and boosts it to 13psi sometimes ( insane on the FMU, I KNOW !!! Crazy ****... ).</TD></TR></TABLE>

What exactly are youguys using to detect knock? or what are you using to measure A/F ratio? more than likely nothing, and thats where you get all the (30 psi on stock internals wit 12.2:1 C/R 14% advance timing and its running great, with an fmu) stories from. If you guys actaully had an idea of what your motor is doing with advanced timing under boost, i think allot of you would rethink your setup. You cannot allways hear detonation and you cant get a good rendering of your A/F ratio from the pretty little autometer light show. just something to think about.

Rob
Old 11-20-2003, 11:57 AM
TurboJesse

Default Re: Has anyone put down good numbers using the "hack" without using some kind of BTM? (2muchPSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2muchPSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So lets say someone has 9:1 compression pistons in there d16, does the lower compression allow for more timing advance without adverses effects?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The timing advance increases cylinder pressures, you can get away with more on a forged piston but its ify with oem cast pistons..Basically the lower comp. just gives you a little more room for error..
Old 11-20-2003, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Has anyone put down good numbers using the "hack" without using some kind of BTM? (Mpir3)

Which I have low compression and stock timing ( not fully advanced like my friend with the 13psi FMU deal ).

I could be getting some knock, but what are the chances that my low compression motor with stock timing and 450cc injectors with a FMIC could be knocking ?? I'd bet I could run 16psi at least with stock dizzy timing and not get any knock on pump gas !!!

I'd like to read knock, but that's not an option..

And yes the A/F guage is useless... I tune by spark plugs which look perfect now after 3 weeks of black ones, I raise the boost 2psi and now they are clean...
Old 11-20-2003, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone put down good numbers using the "hack" without using some kind of BTM? (89dxhunchback

timing makes power right up until the moment you detonate....

you LOSE power with a btm, unless, of course, you were detonating.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i was using the hack, i also used Uberteg's chip to retard timing 1* per lb of boost. so the timing advancing of the hack and the retarding of Uberteg's chip pretty much cancelled out one another. i was able to run 14 psi on UberChip with AFC and a 3Bar..making around 249whp.