Notices

Has anyone heard ATI damper problems? (circa 2009)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone heard ATI damper problems? (circa 2009)

Well I figured I would post in here since this is where the majority of ATI damper users probably are here and its was for my f/i car.

So I have had a ATI street damper on order for h/f series car for almost 2 weeks and finally i get notified that ATI had an issue with a run of dampers so they are not available. They were not specific other than that they had an issue and it was going to be possibly MONTHS before they produced these agian if at all for the f/h?!?

WTF, anyone heard of this or what the issue was. I got it from a source I trust but I am not sure if they are getting some BS. I dont know of anyone with one still in stock to get one and I am gun shy if they have an issue.

Fluidampr only makes a competition model with no ps pulley from what I see listed so basically it would seem the f/h series cars are SOL if the ATI is the only unit with ps? Anyone know of anything or am I stuck with a stock pulley.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Has anyone heard ATI damper problems? (circa 2009)

I dealt w/ ATI on a regular basis up until I lost my job. I remember having an issue with a customers order just a few weeks ago, same damper you are looking for, so I called to speak with my rep and they informed me about an issue they were having with their hubs.

The issue must have been hit and miss because it did not affect everyone that used them... we installed and used some on race motors without issue. Word has it that they will be back on track in a few more weeks. I told our customer 6-8 weeks and 2-3 have already passed.

I'd wait on them. ATI makes the best damper on the market!

Rob~
Old 03-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is only a issue with the H22 dampers. The problem was the snout was not made large enough and the pulley would hit the t belt cover. Very simple fix, but I think ATI does not want to waste money on another run of these if they get wrong feed back. My guess is they have not seen this as a must have part and has slacked on making them. They keep telling me one has been made and there is still not feedback from the customer/shop that got it. I am getting tired of that line as well because I have had many customers by now who would have run it and given the proper feedback. I even sent them a stock H22 damper to take measurements off of so there should be no issue. So once again, I think it comes down to the part not being in enough of demand. Everyone should start calling them and telling them how they need them for the H22.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well thats good to hear it was not something more major but damn this sucks now. Thanks for some info for sure though on what the problem was Mike!!! I actually called you late in the day to ask if you had one but it was pretty late out there so I did not catch you.

Well **** this puts us h/f series guys in the dog house for a good damper if you have a street car or whatnot with p/s!?!

I have heard as much as 4 months wait on these, thats even if they produce them at all since as indicated above the demand is lower than per say a b series unit.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Called ATI to clarify the scheduled production of the revised unit.

Per the customer service tech... they are hoping to have them available agian in weeks to a month or so. Did not sound all that promising.

So if you have an f or an h and you want a damper to still be available for us street cars with p/s... take 30 seconds and call ATI and ask about part # 918468. Maybe it till let them know there is a demand for these so they dont decided in a couple weeks its not work the production cost to make these afterall.

EDIT: I wonder if someone could talk ATI into still selling one anyways since its just a trivial issue that can be addressed with it rubbing the plastic timing cover from what I gather. I would rather have to modify the plastic cover and have a good damper on my motor than nothing.

Last edited by twkdCD595; 03-31-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by twkdCD595
Called ATI to clarify the scheduled production of the revised unit.

Per the customer service tech... they are hoping to have them available agian in weeks to a month or so. Did not sound all that promising.

So if you have an f or an h and you want a damper to still be available for us street cars with p/s... take 30 seconds and call ATI and ask about part # 918468. Maybe it till let them know there is a demand for these so they dont decided in a couple weeks its not work the production cost to make these afterall.

EDIT: I wonder if someone could talk ATI into still selling one anyways since its just a trivial issue that can be addressed with it rubbing the plastic timing cover from what I gather. I would rather have to modify the plastic cover and have a good damper on my motor than nothing.
I would not hold me breath, it has been 6 months since they told me a couple weeks and they would be back out. If you get your hands on one, moding the plastic will not help. The belts will not line up. You would need to make a metal spacer the space out the damper...still should be fairly easy. If you really need one...you can send your stock unit in and tell them to make a damper like that. It would be custom and in the $500 price range...but it can be had.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Necrobump here...

Did everyone get their issues resolved on this? Did we ever have a dimension (depth) of the ATI vs. OEM when it came to mounting and how much closer it is to the frame rail of the car?
Old 06-17-2019, 07:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Pretty sure it was fixed, as I was running one on my H23, that I bought brand new in 2014. When a cam gear let loose and killed it on the dyno, it went back in the toolbox until I get around to re-doing that engine. Granted, I was using it in a Prelude chassis, so I didn't have any clearance concerns, but my belts did line up properly, so I would say identical to stock.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I had zero issues as far as clearances. They should all line up with factory anyway.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My car has always been Single Pulley and H2B, and clearance is incredibly tight. I think the difference of more than 1/2" would make it so I'm into the frame rail. Would anyone with one of these parts be able to measure depth with a picture? That way I can measure my pulley and update this thread for anyone else H2B.