Notices

Has anyone ever had this problem before? (broken bolts in the turbine housing)...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Has anyone ever had this problem before? (broken bolts in the turbine housing)...

So the other day I was going to take off my down pipe so I could mill the flange down to fix a slight leak. However, when I was trying to take off the 4 DP to turbo bolts two of them seized up and snaped the head right off. I used grade 12 allen head bolts with a light coating of antiseize. I don't know if the black coating on the bolts just burnt up seizing the bolt in the turbo, or what but I will never be using those again.

I now have a useless .63ar housing with less than 150 miles because I opted to use grade 12 bolts rather than 10.

Bryson
Old 06-22-2006, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Has anyone ever had this problem before? (broken bolts in the turbine housing)... (Bryson)

arnt grade 12 better then 10>?
Old 06-23-2006, 01:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Has anyone ever had this problem before? (komat)

i think the lower the # the stronger they are.

i usually use 8 or 8.8's

ive broken 2/4 in my turbine before. it sucked. i used a drill, an extractor bit and a torch to get one of them out. you can also take the housing off and a machine shop should be able to get them out for you
Old 06-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Has anyone ever had this problem before? (komat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by komat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">arnt grade 12 better then 10&gt;?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what I thought, but I guess not.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think the lower the # the stronger they are.

i usually use 8 or 8.8's

ive broken 2/4 in my turbine before. it sucked. i used a drill, an extractor bit and a torch to get one of them out. you can also take the housing off and a machine shop should be able to get them out for you</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same here. I usually try and get the gold colored grade 8s, but they don't make them with the allen head. I didn't neccesarily need allen head bolts, It just made getting the DP on a lot easier for me.

I'm going to try drilling the bolt out, and then retapping the housing. if that doesn't work, I'll just buy a new housing.