Notices

Has anyone ever blew up a tuned stock block UNDER 400whp

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 04:25 PM
Louie_EM1

Default Has anyone ever blew up a tuned stock block UNDER 400whp

"How much power can my stock sleeves handle from my B18?"
- A question that's plagued this forum.
A typical answer would be about 400ish if you're tuned.

But has anyone with a tuned block with stock sleeves busted their bottom end?
Please specify what broke, which motor, how much power, and what kind of EMU

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Has anyone ever blew up a tuned stock block UNDER 400whp (Louie_EM1)

theres a thread on here and the guy is making 475 whp and hes fine

im not a B series guy so i couldnt tell you but id say go for it and shoot for the 400 mark
Old 09-27-2004, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone ever blew up a tuned stock block UNDER 400whp (illestrolla247)

no way 400 completely stock will last ya, I don't care how well you tune. Stock sleeves, is another matter though, so what exactly is the question being asked?
Old 09-27-2004, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Has anyone ever blew up a tuned stock block UNDER 400whp (Louie_EM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Louie_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"How much power can my stock sleeves handle from my B18?"

Thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Knock could blow anything at any HP. Look how many people crippled themselves on "the hack".
Old 09-27-2004, 05:35 PM
The Boot

~ 260 hp
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=822541
Old 09-27-2004, 05:48 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: (Smokinsax)

i think the better question is how, lol. I know that beau on hmt blew his b16 at 3psi, but the mani had problems.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:47 PM
Louie_EM1

Default Re: Has anyone ever blew up a tuned stock block UNDER 400whp (toolowsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toolowsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no way 400 completely stock will last ya, I don't care how well you tune. Stock sleeves, is another matter though, so what exactly is the question being asked?</TD></TR></TABLE>
New question; what the **** are you talking about?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Louie_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[I]
has anyone with a tuned block with stock sleeves busted their bottom end?

I don't give a rat's *** about what your opinion is or if you care how well it's tuned without a valid legit statment.
Are you a tuner? - Have you tuned a stock block with ~400whp?
Did you have a car that made ~400whp with a stock block/sleeves that failed?
If not, then sorry, I'm not looking for people to raise post counts.
Give me something that I can use, rather than some opinion by some guy that isn't qualified.

What was the question again?
Old 09-27-2004, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok asshat, you asked what a stock block could handle in your subject, then what stock sleeves could hold in the body of your post, It isn't my fault your an idiot. And yes, I do tune motors, and I have a 325hp b18c (all stock) so calm your stupid *** down.

EDIT: All stock INTERNALS on my motor, should probably clarify that.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:33 PM

You guys are ****. mostly louie, you're on fire!
Old 09-28-2004, 07:26 AM
Louie_EM1

Default Re: Has anyone ever blew up a tuned stock block UNDER 400whp (toolowsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toolowsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok asshat, you asked what a stock block could handle in your subject, then what stock sleeves could hold in the body of your post, It isn't my fault your an idiot. And yes, I do tune motors, and I have a 325hp b18c (all stock) so calm your stupid *** down.

EDIT: All stock INTERNALS on my motor, should probably clarify that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

"asshat" - 12yr old insults kicks my ***
Stock block includes the damn sleeves duhhh, the sleeves were a clarification that I didn't want a block guard with the sleeves nor stock pistons/rods with sleeves and with an 81mm bore.
Is that too complicated?

And I'm sure you don't tune motors, I am quite sure you don't have 325hp or it would have been stated prior, and even if you did you probably lied about the number; once again no valid information, just some opinions without a source, oh and a cool immature comment and got a dyno sheet? - dog ate it huh?
- thanks for wasting my time again.

And again, I'm not getting all crazy for nothing; you're seriously being difficult, but that's ok, I don't think you're very intelligent, so either give me details like I asked before; or quit taking things personally. Sorry I really dont care about your set up without any infromation what so ever!

EDIT: Yeah you probably shoulda cleared that up, huh?

So please reply back with some more cute 12yr old comments; and justify yourself, such as where you tune, what have you tuned, what turbo set up, and don't forgot dyno sheets.
I'm from Chicago, so lie carefully.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:19 AM

Jesus, calm the hell down. Your first post is not clear at all. In your title you state "tuned stock block" which would be bone stock pistons, rods, sleeves, etc. Then you go on to say "tuned block with stock sleeves". Are you mistaking "tuned" for built, like pistons, rods, etc? Don't jump all over the toolowsol; he's right, a 400 HP bone stock block isn't going to last long at all no matter how well tuned it is.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow man you need to calm the f*ck down or go back to bed. You wake up on the wrong side this morning?

But to answer your question.
On my last car that was stolen I had it tuned by a very reputable shop in NY I will not say any names. It put down 302 @ 14 psi at the wheels. This was a ls motor with pistons and rods. Not a stock motor but stock sleeves. I was using aem ems for engine management.

What went wrong? I cracked a sleeve and messed up the top of a few pistons. Reason for failure. I had some people look at my maps and it appears that the timing was to aggressive.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Has anyone ever blew up a tuned stock block UNDER 400whp (underpressure02)

i think cheezefrog got one up to 455whp on a stock b18b with the head never being off the blcok. didn't last too long untill it cracked a sleeve from too much boost. i think it was running 25psi?
Old 09-28-2004, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Louie_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"How much power can my stock sleeves handle from my B18?"

Stock block blew N/A...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=901524

Blocks are just wear items anyway, like brakes/tires/oil.

-Chris

Old 09-28-2004, 09:50 AM
Louie_EM1

Default Re: Has anyone ever blew up a tuned stock block UNDER 400whp (Honda Hick)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda Hick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Jesus, calm the hell down. Your first post is not clear at all. In your title you state "tuned stock block" which would be bone stock pistons, rods, sleeves, etc. Then you go on to say "tuned block with stock sleeves". Are you mistaking "tuned" for built, like pistons, rods, etc? Don't jump all over the toolowsol; he's right, a 400 HP bone stock block isn't going to last long at all no matter how well tuned it is.</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Louie_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Stock block includes the damn sleeves duhhh, the sleeves were a clarification that I didn't want a block guard with the sleeves nor stock pistons/rods with sleeves and with an 81mm bore.
Is that too complicated?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Reading is fun!
- Try it sometime?

As for cheezefrog, yea I've seen a vid and head about his set ups.
I think a lot of people are considering the stock bottom end issue with boost and seeing how far it can go.
I got a c5 going with JE 9.1 and H beams but if I'm looking for about 350-400 hp... why not save the money and go with stock if all I'm doing is using the same EMU (AEM-EMS) why not? why not?
Old 09-28-2004, 09:57 AM

First off you might want to calm down if you want people to help you here...Second you might wanna SEARCH before posting such a vauge over asked question you already said yourself has plauged this forum !

I could easily answer this questions with "Does a bear **** in the woods"?
Old 09-28-2004, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Has anyone ever blew up a tuned stock block UNDER 400whp (ccfries)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ccfries &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Stock block blew N/A...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=901524

Blocks are just wear items anyway, like brakes/tires/oil.

-Chris

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly! It's just a matter of time before you have to replace/rebuild it, just like any other "wear item". Just have a look at others' setups and try to guess a horsepower limit and the corresponding time to "blow up". Now that's a precarious situation, isn't it? Boy, some statistical information would be good on questions like this (engine type, miles driven , engine management, driving habits (how often in boost), whp/wtq, tuning (maybe ignition advance/retard @ max boost, air/fuel ratio max, etc.), egts under boost, etc.), when motor blew up (milage), aftermath (broken rods, hole in block, etc.), what else?). I think that would be helpful, what do you think?
Old 09-28-2004, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone ever blew up a tuned stock block UNDER 400whp (mdpalmer)

That is one thing I don't get about H-T there are soo many members on here that are eager to talk about their setup regardless of if it is actually pertaining to your post or not. In example all of the people saying things like "357 Whp B18C goin strong".. that is great, wow let me stand back and give you your daily dose of internet gratification.

What I mean is the real question is if you were running a stock block with stock sleeves at 400 hp or less, when it messed up what broke. And if yours didn't break yet guess what.. no one is asking about it.

I am in no way the post police, nor do I get my rocks off by telling people when to and not to post I am just tired of reading all the crap that doesn't pertain to the question.

I am interested in real results and relevant posts so I hope that we see a few more of them.. sorry to go off.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:57 AM
TurboJesse

Default Re: Has anyone ever blew up a tuned stock block UNDER 400whp (Inte9ralove00)

this thread is STUPID
Old 09-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Louie_EM1

Default Re: Has anyone ever blew up a tuned stock block UNDER 400whp (Inte9ralove00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Inte9ralove00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That is one thing I don't get about H-T there are soo many members on here that are eager to talk about their setup regardless of if it is actually pertaining to your post or not. In example all of the people saying things like "357 Whp B18C goin strong".. that is great, wow let me stand back and give you your daily dose of internet gratification.

What I mean is the real question is if you were running a stock block with stock sleeves at 400 hp or less, when it messed up what broke. And if yours didn't break yet guess what.. no one is asking about it.

I am in no way the post police, nor do I get my rocks off by telling people when to and not to post I am just tired of reading all the crap that doesn't pertain to the question.

I am interested in real results and relevant posts so I hope that we see a few more of them.. sorry to go off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I completely understand.
My concern is, if people's arguments are about the tune, on roughly mild WHP such as arund/under 400, then why build a bottom end if your only security is the EMU?
Someone always knows another person pulling decent HP with the stock bottom end, but there seems to be very little legitimate information.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:37 PM

Engine life all depends on the Driver --&gt; Tune --&gt; physical limits of engine components--&gt; matience ...

If your the kind of guy that prefers to beat the **** out a car for no reason you will have issues. I've seen plenty of stock motors blow up due to the owners ignorance. Its not the engine fault you boost everytime you got the car rolling, its also not the engines fault the owner boost 10+psi over the cars tune.

Tuning is a key factor you can spend all the money you want on a aem, motec and so forth. If you dont know how a car works and understand timing,a/f, injectors and so on in relation to boost you will have issues. There are not to many people that can really tune a 400+hp car. I have been buiding motors and tuning for about 5 years now and i still dont think i know everything.

The engine also has phyical limits, they can take so much heat and can only be spun so fast. From what i've noticed with alot of engine builders is they suck, so some cases a stock GSR from honda will last longer then a built motor from X engine/machine shop. Many people on ht still drive around with a stock dseries and talk **** cause they read JoeSmoes post about how his engine blew up cause of X/y Reason.

Now you ask how many people blew up tuned motors, and i will put my money and say alot of people have done it. So should we sit here and blame honda cause it blew. Nope, a good chunk of the time its human error.