Notices

has anyone bought and used this "kit" from ebay... Turbo kit....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone bought and used this "kit" from ebay... Turbo kit....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...83542 I was just wondering if anyone has bought this and how it is...... Just curious... thanks

Old 11-14-2003, 04:18 PM

ive never bought it but this topic has been brought up numerous times on h-t and htm so im just going to sum up what has been said...

The turbo ive heard it seizes very very quickly and when taken apart it was poorly built. Also they are selling a huge turbo for a D series engine...doesnt seem too smart....

The downpipe is like 2" piping very poorly constructed with thin steel.

The manifold is the most controversial of all the products put out by this company. Some say it doesnt crack with proper bracing. Other say it cracks regardless. From what ive gathered is, if you dont brace the manifold at all....most likely it will crack. If it is braced so that the manifold can handle the weight of the turbo better...its supposed to not crack. I dont know which is true...i know Mpir3 uses this manifold braced heavily and he says it works well so who knows. personally from what ive gathered they use crummy steel and the welds arent very solid...but if you are willing to reweld and brace the manifold it might work....

Old 11-14-2003, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bigwig)

My friends manifold cracked right at the wastegate flange
Spend your money wisely
Old 11-14-2003, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CRV Monster)

thanks guys....
Old 11-14-2003, 05:11 PM

Default Re: has anyone bought and used this "kit" from ebay... Turbo kit.... (92boostn'hatch)

I don't know anything about the turbo, but the manifold isn't that bad. I got one before I knew they were bad, and it's been fine for over 6 months now. I have one of the newer braced ones and I inspect it every week (mostly because of the stories I've heard here) and no cracking. The welds aren't super pretty, but they actually don't look that bad and they are clean. The only thing I'd recommend if you got this would be to port out the wastegate hole a little. There's a little excess weld in there, and the hole wasn't cut cleanly so it probably would cause boost creep.

For the price, it's decent. Also, the downpipe isn't any good. I got a package with the manifold and downpipe, and the downpipe doesn't really fit and it's only 2". When I got it, I just had a shop in town build a custom 2.5" DP.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:49 PM

Default Re: has anyone bought and used this "kit" from ebay... Turbo kit.... (AP-Signworks1)

The turbo may be questionable. So is the manifold. That said:

I got one of the manifolds they sell to have a look at it - it's dirt cheap - it'll give me something to look at, and I'm going to modify it. We'll see what happens. The wastegate flange is in the worst spot possible IMHO. It appears to be angled completely the wrong way, past the normal of the exhaust flow. This is going to cause all sorts of problems. Remember the function of the wastegate is to direct exhaust away from the turbo.

Is this thing going to perform worse than a cheapie log manifold? Probably not. I would do the modifications others have suggested to the flanges and add bracing. I am concerned about boost control issues at high RPM with the wastegate flange like that. Once we get it I'm going to try mount it anywhere else if at all possible.