Notices

has any one tried the ebay b16a low compression kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default has any one tried the ebay b16a low compression kit?

found this earlier today, seems to be a really good bang for the buck, depending on if the stock rods would hold up.

any one used it?

any insight thanks guys.

currently running a b16a stock motor, gsr cams, NSR ram horn, 3" open dp, and garrett t04B.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: has any one tried the ebay b16a low compression kit? (K7-1Ktrevor)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors....m245
Old 09-23-2008, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those are stock cast pistons.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they looks like stock "replica/aftermarket" B18A/B pistons.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:38 AM
GDD Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: has any one tried the ebay b16a low compression kit? (non-VTEC)

it's ebay. you know you can trust it.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll be better running stock than wasting your money on that stuff. There has to be a reason why a decent set of forged pistons and rods alone cost like $700 on ebay while this lot goes for less $300 ..
Old 09-23-2008, 03:12 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Old 09-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: has any one tried the ebay b16a low compression kit? (non-VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by non-VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they looks like stock "replica/aftermarket" B18A/B pistons.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

because they are but the valve reliefs look much larger on them, like the vtec size. Read below for more info.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"></TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't be scared, i used Nippon pr4 pistons in my b16a build, new bearings, bored to 81.5mm, cometic .50 head gasket and an OEM b16b head i made 333whp at 12psi and those bad boy pistons are holding up just fine. I took the head off later to do a 3 angle valve job and discovered the CTR cams were causeing the valves to tap the pistons because of the smaller valve reliefs on the pistons so i had them opened up a bit and replaced 4 bent valves, problem solved and the pistons are still holding up to this day...

valves hitting pistons:

valve reliefs opened up:

if you compare my pics to that ebay posting it looks like they just opened up the intake side a bit like i did, maybe hose sneaky bastards read one of my posts about this just kidding but yeah, holding up fine...
Old 09-24-2008, 12:57 AM

Default Re: has any one tried the ebay b16a low compression kit? (blinx9900)

I would run those pistons. A great alternative for safer boosting until you have money for a built engine.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: has any one tried the ebay b16a low compression kit? (CRXdan)

or put that extra money into your tune...
Old 09-24-2008, 09:38 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Default Re: has any one tried the ebay b16a low compression kit? (CRXdan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXdan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would run those pistons. A great alternative for safer boosting until you have money for a built engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok let me get this straight, tear engine down, beat the hell out of the rods to put new pistons on them, put it mack together, only to do all over again when money and parts permit?

thats a little counterproductive.

build the engine once when you have the loot, or like said above, go with stock internals, and spend on the management and tune up.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:46 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: has any one tried the ebay b16a low compression kit? (boostedcivicsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ok let me get this straight, tear engine down, beat the hell out of the rods to put new pistons on them, put it mack together, only to do all over again when money and parts permit?

thats a little counterproductive.

build the engine once when you have the loot, or like said above, go with stock internals, and spend on the management and tune up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's kind of what I was thinking here. So I should use pistons that I should have to worry about altering the valve reliefs to make sure that it doesn't piston slap, AFTER I've installed them the first time?

Tune it right the first time and this "kit" would not be necessary. The sellers are making easy money on the assumption that you must lower the compression on a stock engine to have the car run reliably on boost.

Go ahead, let 'em take your money..Enjoy.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: has any one tried the ebay b16a low compression kit? (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that's kind of what I was thinking here. So I should use pistons that I should have to worry about altering the valve reliefs to make sure that it doesn't piston slap, AFTER I've installed them the first time?

Tune it right the first time and this "kit" would not be necessary. The sellers are making easy money on the assumption that you must lower the compression on a stock engine to have the car run reliably on boost.

Go ahead, let 'em take your money..Enjoy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i had a core b16a reuildable block, new pistons were a must, and i know its been done but its not too easy or safe imo to make the power im making (333) with stock b16a compression and 91 octane... plus the pistons in that kit appear to have larger valve reliefs already. I know its not ideal way to go but for me i was at the end of my build, triple over my budget and i blew up my b16b, i had to do something, for me it was the right choice, however i also have a second car so i can afford to "experiment" and thats exactly what this was, my tuner/builder was against the idea but we were all impressed with how it turned out... Once again, this is not for everyone but it can and does work.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Mr. Badwrench

i dont t hink he is talking in your case.

in the o.p. case, it is pointless to do that.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: has any one tried the ebay b16a low compression kit? (boostedcivicsir)

If your engine needs some work anyways to get it back to stock condition then go for it otherwise save some money for better parts.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gooo for it i Rocked Pm7 pistons.. back in my zc days there fine from ebay.. fck it haha
Old 09-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: has any one tried the ebay b16a low compression kit? (SlAmMeD 91 HaTcH)

fyi, I do have a good tune. and my car is running ****. have ran ebay parts before, poor quality, but never had any issues, just wondering if this would be a good bang for the buck, but looks like I will just be doing a nice arias/eagle combo now. ....

and I wasn't asking for theoretical opinions, just people that have had first hand experience with them. those that have seem to have had good luck with them. thanks for all the input.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That's the same brand that's making the classic vitara pistons that are making 400+whp in D16's. Chances are they have the ring pack lower, in addition to the dish. I honestly wouldn't use them unless there were issues with the B16 I had already - there have been several 3-400+ whp stock B16's for a while. A good tune and the right turbo setup is all you really need.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: has any one tried the ebay b16a low compression kit? (90dxhmt)

also worth noting, i would not consider these ebay pistons, they are made by nippon which is a reputable company in my book and i might be wrong but i thought they were OEM suppliers for some of the Japanese companies...

i will admit this though, i kinda regret going this route a little bit cause my original goal with this car was to go on some open track days for fun but now with these cast pistons im scared they will melt However at least i have been able to enjoy my car thus far, its all give and take...
Old 09-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if u want to lower the compressin of the motor for cheep.. just get a thicker headgasket from cometic.. and throw some arps in it while your in there
Old 09-25-2008, 10:54 AM
GDD Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"></TD></TR></TABLE>

this post alone should automatically help you make your decision.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: has any one tried the ebay b16a low compression kit? (418whpturboD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 418whpturboD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if u want to lower the compressin of the motor for cheep.. just get a thicker headgasket from cometic.. and throw some arps in it while your in there</TD></TR></TABLE>

that would be a much more efficient route

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony tone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

this post alone should automatically help you make your decision.</TD></TR></TABLE>
go away if you have nothing to add to this thread.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FJTDistributors.com
Old 09-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: has any one tried the ebay b16a low compression kit? (Tippyman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tippyman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FJTDistributors.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

link no work.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i would use them for a budget build or a cheap way for a low compresssion b16 dd with boost. im going to use a set of them here soon. on a tight budget. but when funds come in ill get pistons rods and sleeves. until then this is a good alternative like vitara's for the d series.

Quick Reply: has any one tried the ebay b16a low compression kit?