Notices

Hard work finally pays off! reliable street tune thanks to Gruvytune...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard work finally pays off! reliable street tune thanks to Gruvytune...

I tried to wait and post this with a dyno chart, but...

She's finally alive!!!!!... !!!... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

after 3 years of owning this car (running good for a total of 3 months) 3 setups later... getting ripped off to the point where I said **** it and did everything myself (except tune and machine work)... this machine runs great!

here's the pist off si...

Torin (Gruvytune) in upstate NY fully street tuned this thing last sunday, no issues at all. third time I went up there, first time the motor is proper. we got started around 7:30am and finished around 12:30... I tried to follow what he was doing but the tense focused bastard looked like he was hacking into the pentagon or something

we stayed conservative, 10lbs low 14lbs high boost on pump. almost dead on 12:1 a/f in boost timming I think he said was around 18deg.

I'm setup to hit the dyno this sat... I'll post the results of course, there will be 110 oct fuel waiting for me as well if I decide to see what 18psi brings to the wheels.
I will also pick up a vid camera to make my next thread more interesting

now for my thank you list!
Big thanks to:

Gruvytune (Torin) - tuning
Earl - sleeves, pistons, and dealing with lots of paranoid phone calls
Flamenco-T (Stan) - all kinds of misc parts, and dealing with lots of paranoid phone calls
Theshodan - helping me find the right turbo
Toyosupr (Alex) - mani and down pipe
0x64 (John) - pointing me in the right direction for a solid build, and helping me since day 1
Trick engineering (in NH) - part throttle tune and great service

And thanks to all the rest of you FI Honda-tech gruru's for helping me everytime I got stuck.

dyno results comming soon!

Modified by turbosi03 at 12:29 PM 6/7/2005
Old 06-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hard work finally pays off! reliable street tune thanks to Gruvytune... (turbosi03)

Old 06-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'd be a pissed off Si too if i had red vacuum lines and wireloom.

from the looks of it, seems like theres some nice stuff there.
let us know the #'s when it's dyno'd...
Old 06-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

flippin sweet
Old 06-07-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: (nerdsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nerdsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd be a pissed off Si too if i had red vacuum lines and wireloom.

from the looks of it, seems like theres some nice stuff there.
let us know the #'s when it's dyno'd... </TD></TR></TABLE>

pfft... yeah I go over this everytime the pic is posted. I'm changing lines to black...
ahh it feels so good to have that as my major issue
Old 06-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: (turbosi03)

looks good, post a dyno chart.
and your crank kicks ***, im putting the motor together next week, finally
Old 06-07-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: (turbosi03)

NiCe setup and I like how its sleeper on the outside!
Old 06-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (11psiTurboSI)

Lookin' good
Old 06-07-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: (earl)

Congrats man.
One question though. Where is the upper line for your catch can going? I see the lower one coming off the valve cover.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (RacerXI)

probably one of the nicest SI's on HT,
Old 06-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Benjithx)

Make a heat shroud to go between your radiator and the mani/downpipe.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Re: (Haleiwa-Brando)

i like
Old 06-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hard work finally pays off! reliable street tune thanks to Gruvytune... (turbosi03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbosi03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">0x64 (John) - pointing me in the right direction for a solid build, and helping me since day 1</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks dude. Honestly you are one of if not the most honest people I have helped in the couple years I have been doing this. You deserve this more than anyone. I'm definitely going to take a second vacation later this year to get up there and see this beast. I hope everything goes as planned at the dyno and you meet or exceed your goals! You have my new phone number. Give me a call this weekend.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NewportSI)

looks real nice
Old 06-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bout time you got that thing done!
Old 06-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

congrats
Old 06-07-2005, 05:27 PM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks Great
I love the stock look.

What are your goals for this beast?
Old 06-08-2005, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hard work finally pays off! reliable street tune thanks to Gruvytune... (White Smoke)

Good job Dustin, You deserves all to yourself....

We're just here to help !

stan
Old 06-08-2005, 07:20 AM

Default Re: Hard work finally pays off! reliable street tune thanks to Gruvytune... (Flamenco-T)

did you have your wheels polished?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Hard work finally pays off! reliable street tune thanks to Gruvytune... (Si Shane)

0x64: thanks for the good words buddy! get your *** up to boston so we could party in beantown and cause some trouble on the streets

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RacerXI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Congrats man.
One question though. Where is the upper line for your catch can going? I see the lower one coming off the valve cover.</TD></TR></TABLE>

back of the block, no more stock PCV...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Haleiwa-Brando &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Make a heat shroud to go between your radiator and the mani/downpipe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

funny you say that, I'm having some heating issues that may be due to the mani being so damn hot. anyone else have heat issues with the ramhorn mani?

wheels are not polished, just kept clean hmm, thanks for the idea.

I'm going this saturday to the dyno during a Pontiac GTO dyno meet... think they will hate me?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We never get into any trouble

Get some more pictures of the exhaust manifold, downpipe and dump tube placement. I had a problem with a car overheating a little when in boost. Fabbed up another dump tube and no more problems.

I bet you will have about ten Pontiac owners wanting togo for a ride in the Honda
Old 06-08-2005, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hard work finally pays off! reliable street tune thanks to Gruvytune... (Flamenco-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flamenco-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good job Dustin, You deserves all to yourself....

We're just here to help !

stan</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why thank you.

Just kidding
Old 06-08-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Hard work finally pays off! reliable street tune thanks to Gruvytune... (dustin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dustin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why thank you.

Just kidding </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, you punk! this still bugs me out, I was always the only dustin, there's like ten on HT... wtf

0x64: yeah the dump tube is not even in that pic, thats over a month ago... the dump tube I made while trick eng did the part throttle tune, the **** is real ugly so I need another one anyway, it goes along the side of the rad with about 1/2" gap... someone make me a stainless dump!
Old 06-08-2005, 10:43 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbosi03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...
funny you say that, I'm having some heating issues that may be due to the mani being so damn hot. anyone else have heat issues with the ramhorn mani?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont have a ramhorn mani but i have an inline pro with sc61, running a stock radiator out of an automatic civic and the turbo almost touches the radiator. Driving around town it is fine but on the interstate if i try to cruise at anything over 70mph it starts heating up, not over heating but the needle goes up o good bit. The only way i can cruise at 70+mph on the interstate is if i turn the heat on full blast, then it runs normal with no issues, but its too damn hot down here to ride like that.

congrats on the car, its real nice.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:31 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to compliment Dustin on a fine job on this car. A few details he NEEDS to get worked out but mostly minor. Despite havoc in his personal life, he did what any good man should do and devoted himself to his first love--his car!

After 2 miserable failures due to poor engine work, he took the bold step and did it all himself. Not for everyone, but when you have to get the job done right, you do it yourself. I'm sure you all know that Dustin can talk your ear off like a woman, but he asked the right questions and I think we all did the right thing and gave him some good answers since he delivered a clean, reliably built car to me for tuning. I was waiting for it to blow up at 7psi but it held strong past 10lbs and I'm sure will hold past 20 on race gas. Cant wait to see his dyno numbers.

For anyone looking to tune a road driven car, PLEASE demand someone spend the time street tuning it. I have yet to see a car dyno tuned at part throttle behave as it should on the street. This car drives as good or better than a stock car.

Props again to a great guy....

Dustin, ever get that HKS SSQV BOV sounding like you want?

Quick Reply: Hard work finally pays off! reliable street tune thanks to Gruvytune...