Notices

Hairline crack (?) on Eagle crank

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hairline crack (?) on Eagle crank

I've cleaned my Eagle crank today (bought brand new) while i noticed a 'scratch' on one of the counterweights:

Fullsize pic: http://andre.honda-tech.de/eagle/PICT0002.JPG

Fullsize pic: http://andre.honda-tech.de/eagle/PICT0003.JPG

I can feel the scratch with my finger nail and it looks like a hairline crack. It really doesn't look like a scratch someone did, more like it cracked.

Must i pay attention to this or is it from the forging process? Better get it x-rayed and polished?

Thanks

(Don't know if this is the right forum for my question )
Old 01-12-2005, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hairline crack (?) on Eagle crank (Andre)

take that to a machine shop and have them magnaflux the crank.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would sent it back for a new one.....but damn.......and your all the way in germany......that might take a while.....
Old 01-12-2005, 02:38 PM

Don't waste your money on Magnafluxing, send that **** back and get a new one.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whoever ya bought it off of should be responsible for return shipping and shipping a new one back to you.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quik sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quik sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whoever ya bought it off of should be responsible for return shipping and shipping a new one back to you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't let them bully you into paying for return shipping!
Old 01-12-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: (quik sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quik sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whoever ya bought it off of should be responsible for return shipping and shipping a new one back to you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have bought it from http://www.cnc-motorsports.com. (Just emailed them, will post their reply here)

Question is if i really need to ship it back or if it can be polished out (Maybe 0.005" deep).
Old 01-12-2005, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why should you need to pay for that when you spent all that money on a crank?

Seriously, don't take a hit like that. The company should take care of it.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: (Andre)

I would not worry about it. From the picture, it looks like a scratch. Nothing to worry about. If it were a crack, you would see it go around the counter weight and show on the other side. I have used a bunch of these cranks. I had a few with the same scratch in it. Never had a problem. Mazgnaflux would definately tell you if it is O.K. or not, but my guess is that 99% sure it is nothing to worry about
Old 01-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But why drop that much money on a crank for it to be like that? Thats all I am saying, ya it maybe nothing but if it is then theres a problem.

But since ya said you said it will probly be ok, I dunno I would atleast have it checked.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: (GoldenEagleMfg.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GoldenEagleMfg.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it were a crack, you would see it go around the counter weight and show on the other side.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The scratch doesn't go around the counter weight, it starts on the inner side and goes like 3/4 way down.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GoldenEagleMfg.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I have used a bunch of these cranks. I had a few with the same scratch in it. Never had a problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Would you just leave it like that or get it polished?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GoldenEagleMfg.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Magnaflux would definately tell you if it is O.K. or not, but my guess is that 99% sure it is nothing to worry about </TD></TR></TABLE>

What exactly does magnaflux tell you? I thought it is used to detect invisible cracks. So if you can already see the scratch/crack what does Magnaflux do?

Thanks for your very useful reply!
Old 01-12-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: (Andre)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Andre &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would you just leave it like that or get it polished?
What exactly does magnaflux tell you? I thought it is used to detect invisible cracks. So if you can already see the scratch/crack what does Magnaflux do?

Thanks for your very useful reply! </TD></TR></TABLE>

You could rub it with a little sand paper if you want to, but I really would not worry about it at all. Magnaflux will tell you if it is cracked, but I highly doubt it is.

I am Norwegian and I have a lot of friends in Germany and Sweden that buy parts from us. I always look out for my fellow Scandinavians