Notices

Had the pleasure of Hanging out with Steve Bothwell & GM Ecotech racing team yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had the pleasure of Hanging out with Steve Bothwell & GM Ecotech racing team yesterday.

First I spent 3 hours with him at Shaver Specialty Co 9 <FONT SIZE="1">http://www.shaverengines.com/</FONT>

They were prototyping a new turbo for garrett. The engine was holding 1050hp strongly...

One, This is my first time watching an engine on an engine dyno. Very, very cool.
Two, who ever knew the Cavlier motor would make that kind of power?

Shaver specialty has an awesome engine builder facility ...
They have never seen a Honda Engine come through there.

While I was there, Mr. Shaver told me about these heads....
http://procylinderheads.com/ra...a.asp

Then we headed down to the shop where they keep all the ECOTECH cars & off-road trucks.

The facility was very nice.

http://www.dragracingonline.co....html
Old 06-19-2003, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Had the pleasure of Hanging out with Steve Bothwell & GM Ecotech racing team yesterday. (RyanAut

I always BOO the ecotec cars when I goto events.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Had the pleasure of Hanging out with Steve Bothwell & GM Ecotech racing team yesterday. (RyanAut

Why? cause they are faster with less R&D? And less invested?
Old 06-19-2003, 05:08 PM

Less R&D.....
Old 06-19-2003, 05:12 PM

That Garrett GT technology stuff they're working with is awesome. They'll be more and more of that available for street guys as time goes on.

Rod Short
Sales Manager
Precision Turbo
Old 06-19-2003, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Double Platinum Member

I think that its awesome what the Gm peeps have done with the ecotec engines. The only thing that gets me is is how everbody is talking about how they make sooo much more power and are faster than honda's now...which is true in some cases. But you have to remember that just like shaun carlsons srt-4...they have the backing of the entire company. They really dont have a budget...they have access to ANYTHING needed for R&D...and they hire the top mechanics and engineers in the country to help with the design. I honestly think that if honda did this they would have one kick *** car too. But like i said...i love the GM car and Carlsons srt-4 so dont start flaming me....its just my .02 cents.

Sean
Old 06-19-2003, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NaperNeonRT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why? cause they are faster with less R&D? And less invested?</TD></TR></TABLE>

LMAO!!!!

im not gonna even BOTHER to say anything, but holy **** that was funny!
Old 06-19-2003, 05:34 PM

^^I agree with you 100%, I think Carlsons car is badass....but Honda paved the way.
Alot of guys busted their ***, and their pockets, to get where they are now
with no one funding them.Laskey for example, had no major sponsor until recently,
and look how far they made it on their own.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:06 PM
HT's Biggest Loser

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NaperNeonRT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why? cause they are faster with less R&D? And less invested?</TD></TR></TABLE>

hehe, if you dont count 2 milion dollars in engine development. Fool
Old 06-19-2003, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive got nothing bad to say about either the GM and mopar teams. They are what the sport is gonna be like in the future. The only thing most of the people dont see is honda doesnt really support the drag race arena cause they have already proven themselves. CART and IRL, mopar and gm might have nascar on lockdown but everyone knows where the engineering is between the 2. Just my 2 pennies.-pdang
Old 06-19-2003, 06:19 PM
I am a bad person

I love the GM cars. They just sound nasty. I'd throw one in my hatch too if i could.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GD, I wish a Honda team could have the R&D money that the GM backed teams to. It would be like watching Schumacher run away with the F1 cup, maybe worse. The Honda engines are far superior in everyway, but the fast GMs prove that with enough money, you can do anything.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Had the pleasure of Hanging out with Steve Bothwell & GM Ecotech racing team yesterday.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sCeRaXn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> They really dont have a budget...they have access to ANYTHING needed for R&D...and they hire the top mechanics and engineers in the country to help with the design. I honestly think that if honda did this they would have one kick *** car too. But like i said...i love the GM car and Carlsons srt-4 so dont start flaming me....its just my .02 cents.

Sean</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sean, that couldn't be any farther from the truth... They have a very tight budget, for what they're doing.

They don't have "top mechanics and engineers". They have Steve Bothwell and his team of 4 other guys. They make everything happen.
I really have to give those 5 guys credit. They work very hard to make things happen. As do the honda guys.

I never knew there was a little bitterness between the Honda & GM guys... I thought we were all on the same team?

Old 06-19-2003, 10:51 PM
Better than steak

GM is giving away the ECOTEC engine left and right so people will make things for it. Give me a car to drive and I would do it.

art
Old 06-19-2003, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GM dumped a shitload of money into the Ecotec Program...don't get it twisted.

Suprdave
Old 06-19-2003, 11:03 PM

a few ecotecs have been through the shop. jon even made a turbo mani for one from what ive seen, the heads are lost styrofoam cast....they are nice

some pics:

intake valves