Notices

h22a turbo sputter.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22a turbo sputter.

Anyone know the causes for this? I tried for two days gaping the plugs closer and close together and it never fixed it. That's the only thing I have found around the internet to try so far. Any ideas?
Old 05-29-2013, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: h22a turbo sputter.

When you let off the throttle?
Old 05-29-2013, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, it starts happening at about 5000 rpm. Cause the car to lose power and back fire. It has been doing this since I got the car and I started at 5lb. For the past few days its been fine. The I up'd it to ten just to check and it backfired again.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tuned? what injectors?
Old 05-29-2013, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wellthey are 440cc according the my buddy I got the car from. And it has a SST chip in a p06. I'm assuming its just got a base map.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stop boosting on a basemap
Old 05-29-2013, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure that it is a base map. I don't know anything about it. Before me no one ever even knew it was chipped. (it went threw two people without ever looking at the ecu) it ran 9 psi with the person before me.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:30 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Er. How did you "up it to ten"?
Sounds like a basemap and a boost controller.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes. Boost controller. Let me explain why and how I have this car. I HAD an h22a swapped civic. Linkage messed up and I lost third gear. Plus the car shook like hell. Ran well though. This turbo prelude also has anh22a with a turbonetics turbo kit. I wan traded even because the prelude stopped running and the guy needes a running car so I traded mine. The issue with the prelude was the alternator came unplugged. Plugged that up and drove away. With a sputter.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:44 PM
The Grumpiest

Get a real tune and stop running on that basemap.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How does someone tune a SST chip?
Old 05-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay. I'm guessing I need to find some other way. But can someone explain the SST? I can't find anything about it other than seeing them on eBay and someone talking about burning a map on it.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For crying out loud, get a real tuning platform.

Hondata S300, AEM EMS, PowerFC, ANYTHINNNNNNNNG!! It's 2013!!

I remember using socketed and chipped ECU's in the early 00's, with Vortech 12:1 FMU's, split-seconds and tuning with Ver. 1 VAFC's, because nothing much existed for platforms.

You are lucky it is just sputtering out and you haven't roasted that motor yet. :Z
Old 06-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I messed around with the distributor today and fixed my sputter.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:22 AM
I live under a rock

Originally Posted by 4genaccordfreak
I remember using socketed and chipped ECU's in the early 00's, with Vortech 12:1 FMU's, split-seconds and tuning with Ver. 1 VAFC's, because nothing much existed for platforms.
Those were the days man.......

Like everyone else said get a real tune.... you have no idea what you're doing, that motor is going to go boom soon unless you bring it to someone. Based on your other thread sounds like you've killed the turbo as well.

Your car is leaning out beacuse it has some shitty chip in it that wasn't setup for YOUR car. My guess is whatever "tune" is on that chip isn't even for a FI car, rather N/A.

Buying your tuning off ebay - problem number 1.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:45 AM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by Jackzor
I messed around with the distributor today and fixed my sputter.
So it was the engine sputtering and not the turbo. And you played with the distributor to mask your real issue. I'm going to guess you'll keep running that basemap for the duration. But now you have a smoking turbo.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
So it was the engine sputtering and not the turbo. And you played with the distributor to mask your real issue. I'm going to guess you'll keep running that basemap for the duration. But now you have a smoking turbo.
It been smoking. And the motor didnt sputter when i took the intake piping off. Therefore the turbo caused the sputter. There is no reason to be rude.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:27 PM
The Grumpiest

So how did monkeying around with the distributor fix the sputter? I don't see the connection.

And the more that I think about it, how did you do this
Originally Posted by Jackzor
No, it starts happening at about 5000 rpm. Cause the car to lose power and back fire. It has been doing this since I got the car and I started at 5lb. For the past few days its been fine. The I up'd it to ten just to check and it backfired again.
with the intake off? You don't boost with the intake piping off.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright. OK all try to explain everything. This car has been in my area for a while and it was owned by a friend of mine. It started with him at 4lbs he turned it to 9. Things kept falling apart on it so he was having to put a lot of money into it.(nothing with the motor.) Finally it started pouring oil from the balance shaft. So we pulled the motor and replaced the seal. After he put the motor back in it took 3 weeks to get it running again because he had forgotten the injector grounds. Once I found those and bolted them down it finally ran. He drove it have aand one of the wheels was loose. Not knowing why the car was shaking so bad he left it on the side of the road. The next day he goes out and figures out the lug issue and puts the wheel on. After 2 days of babying the car he tries to give it hell. It just sputters and backfires. (The boost controller was turned up way to much) figures that out and fixes it. Decides to put it east 5 psi. Still sputters in boost. He gets pissed and trades for a stock 96 civic coupe. Now, the car is an hour away. The new owner races it and it starts pouring white smoke and won't stay running. Instead of trying to figure out what the problem is he wants to just great rid of it. So I trade him my h22a eg for the not running prelude. He tows it the hour drive for me and I have him drop it off in auto zone parking lot. Spent about an hour trying to get it running and decide to give it up for the night as it was almost 9 pm. Before I left it there I decided to have autozzone test the battery and alternator. While waiting for jumper cable I push it up to the doors and get ready for the test. I noticed the alternator was hardly plunged it. I push the clip in and we jump start it and it runs just fine.

I drove it home that night. The next day I take it out for a spin and it sputters in boost so i took the piping off the intake to see if it was the motor or if it was because of the turbo. With it off there was no sputter. so for a few weeks I just tried looking it up and talking to people about it because its my first turbo car. Messed with vacuum lines and spark plug gap. No luck. Then, the other day I decided to play with the distributer. Turned it one way and the sputter got worse. Turned it the other way, no sputter. Put the boost controller on and turned it up to 15 without knowing and quickly hit boost then let off after noticing how high it was. Still no sputter. Turned it down to about nine and have been running ever since.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:09 AM
The Grumpiest

That's the engine. I don't see how a turbo could sputter. The distributor and the turbo are not physically connected nor does one dictate how the other one operates. A turbo will not cause an engine to backfire but a mistimed engine will. Coupled with the fact that you only have a basemap set for a certain configuration, every time you knuckleheads monekyed around with the boost controller you threw off the MAP.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it unless some else can explain it differently in a way that makes sense. Get a real EMS. Get the car tuned.