Notices

H22 turbo smoke and idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 turbo smoke and idle problems

Sorry this is a long read but I really appreciate any help.

I recently had an H22a swapped into my 98 CL. It is boosted to 10psi on stock internals with a 2mm head gasket tuned with hondata s200. It ran perfectly for about a week. After that I had weird issues with the RPMs dropping too low at idle and the car stalling when turning the steering wheel at idle. After getting the IACV and the throttle body cleaned it will now only stall if the AC is on and then the radiator fan switches on at idle.

In addition, the car smokes out of the breather filter on the valve cover and also out of the exhaust, especially under boost and at higher rpms. The smoke coming out of the valve cover is visible at idle, but the exhaust is clear at idle. The smoke is definately oil related. I burned 1 1/2 quarts on a 200 mile trip without even boosting much.

The shop that did the swap tells me it could be the turbo seals or the rings, but they said it doesnt drive like it has any problem with the rings. As there is smoke coming from the valve cover at idle (enough that it is visible coming out of the hood at idle) I am thinking its not turbo related. In addition, after running the car, I took off the charge pipe closest to the compressor and there did not seem to be any oil residue in it.

After doing the swap I am on an extremely tight budget. In addition I am away at school about 300 miles from the shop that did the work. Any input on what this may be or what I should do about it is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 turbo smoke and idle problems (xrunner86x)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xrunner86x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
In addition, the car smokes out of the breather filter on the valve cover and also out of the exhaust, especially under boost and at higher rpms. The smoke coming out of the valve cover is visible at idle, but the exhaust is clear at idle. The smoke is definately oil related. I burned 1 1/2 quarts on a 200 mile trip without even boosting much.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
have you done a compression test? if not, do one. it's cheap and easy to do. sounds like possible ringland failure.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:43 AM

Default Re: (TheKingPin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheKingPin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First off - what are you using to tune your vehicle.......sounds like a bad tune to me.......

Second: to fix the idle prlblem, adjust the idle screw.........it always works for me - BUT, if you had a good tuning program (hondata) you could adjust the idle from there..........

Is this untuned ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

bro, read the post..he has all the info for the questions u just asked.
poster: follow the advice above and check for copression, if the car is burning oil, then theres a great possibility either pistons/rings/ringlands are going bad. the idle thing can either be tund out or adjusted most likely, just sounds like something needs to be adjusted like kingping said..so do a compression test and let us know whats up.
daniel
Old 10-04-2005, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RudeLude)

blown ringland(s) can also cause a funny idle due to low compression on one or more cylinders. just a thought.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:53 AM

I was afraid it was the ringlands and the shop didnt want to admit it. 287whp seemed like too much for internals that only hold 165ish stock but they claimed it was safe. I will check the compression and get back. Thanks everyone.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:07 PM

Left to right looking at the motor: 100/165/185/170. Its been fucked up since the week after i got it back from the shop doing the swap so needless to say im pissed. Any advice on what I should do?
Old 10-04-2005, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xrunner86x)

Hate to say it but it's time for a rebuild.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Re: (1bad-eg)

Yep, the only solution is build up the block (sleeves, etc.) or pick up a stock block that's in good shape and don't boost it as much andmake sure the tune is good.

The best of the two is to build it up, that way you don't have to worry as much & you'll enjoy driving your car much more.