Notices

h22 Turbo install so far...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATE...h22 Turbo install so far...

Here are a few pictures of the turbo setup I am working on. Just a entry level, nothing crazy. Questions, comments, and concerns are wanted while I finish up a few small items before tuning.. I am planning on running either 6 or 7 psi...

<U>Setup</U>

Turbonetics T04E
SS autochrome manifold
35mm wastegate
2 1/4" and 2 1/2" IC piping
BOV I got for free(No clue what brand)
Custom 2 1/2" downpipe
No cat
VAFC/450 dsm injectors/MSD 6btm

Custom Gauge Pod Im working on, will mount above steering column

I Hope My manifold doesn't f*ck up!

Modified by solowerks at 6:01 AM 5/31/2004

Modified by solowerks at 6:18 AM 6/5/2004
Old 05-30-2004, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 Turbo install so far... (solowerks)

loooks good man

I heard those ss autochromes take a **** though after a while. Oh well i guess youll be the one to judge that.
Good hopes
Old 05-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 Turbo install so far... (The Brown Kid)

that mani will crack so i would brace the **** out of it well your still workin on the install, and in that pix of you turbo you need to have the drain faceing straight down it looks like you have it faceing straight in to the radiator.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 Turbo install so far... (B18C1CYA)

Im gona try and figure something out tomorrow to support the turbo, the manifold is the newer design that has braces on the bottom side you can't see connecting the turbo flange to the manifold flange. Prolly not enough support though if people still have problems. Im more worried about a boost creep occuring during hard acceleration, I don't want the 4th of July to come early this year..I can fix some cracks, a blown motor is a bit harder
Old 05-30-2004, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated before, your return line needs to face DIRECTLY down.

Also as stated before, that manifold will crack on you and you'll regret purchasing it. Bracing it will not help, I am willing to bet bracing it will even make matters worse. You cannot simply brace here and there. Material used also matters due to thermal expansion of the materials when they get hot. Instead of having one force acting in the Y direction, by bracing it you have increased your applied forces to 3 directions now (X,Y,Z).
Old 05-30-2004, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 Turbo install so far... (PrecisionH23a)

Ive seen great results from bracing it lately. Couple guys on honda-tech here, has great sucess. I braced mines, just matter in time, it will be on. All the force is being applied to the flange and engine block. That would not be any pressure at all.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:12 AM
On Fire!

Hey, looks good but I just got a cople of things..

What is the Intercooler pipe made out of that goes from the turbo to the IC?

That same pipe is way to close to your manifold and you will melt that rubber 90deg elbow you got on there.. What i would do is clock the compreesor housing down more and move the pipe away from the manifold as much as possible.
Than reguardless of what u do I would weld a 90deg metal bend at the end of that pipe and use a streight coupler to connect it to the turbo.

Wrap that pipe in some head deflective wrap to keep heat out from it as much as possible..

After you get your manifold supported it wouldn't be a bad idea to get that thing wrapped aswell.

Other than that everything is on point!!

P.S. Support the wastegate elbow aswell because those are known to just fall off..!
Old 05-31-2004, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 Turbo install so far... (newgsr)

Also brace the wastegate because my friends cracked there and the wastegate fell off =\
Old 05-31-2004, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 Turbo install so far... (synik)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by synik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive seen great results from bracing it lately. Couple guys on honda-tech here, has great sucess. I braced mines, just matter in time, it will be on. All the force is being applied to the flange and engine block. That would not be any pressure at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where did the people with success brace the manifold? Pictures would be nice..Ive heard a couple stories about success with it, but Ive also heard alot of bad. I honestly feel like its one of those things where one person says its **** and spreads the word, then everyone jumps on the bandwagon without having any experience with it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newgsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What is the Intercooler pipe made out of that goes from the turbo to the IC?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The IC piping is made from 2 1/4" OD Aluminized Steel I purchased from JC Whitney. All I purchased was a bunch of 90 degree bends, and went to a muffler shop and purchased some straights. The downpipe was made from a 180 degree 2 1/2" od Aluminized steel.

Old 06-07-2004, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for my dudes car. h22 turbo owns findlay oh, ha. he worked some of the bugs out, shes about ready to rip
Old 06-07-2004, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 Turbo install so far... (b16hybridsol)

why such a tiny IC?
Old 06-08-2004, 05:59 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: h22 Turbo install so far... (BG Boost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BG Boost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my friends cracked there and the wastegate fell off =\</TD></TR></TABLE>
I would be so damm pissed if my WG fell off
Oh ya, and deff get rid of that rubber elbow, it WILL MELT QUICK!
Old 06-08-2004, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by synik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive seen great results from bracing it lately. Couple guys on honda-tech here, has great sucess. I braced mines, just matter in time, it will be on. All the force is being applied to the flange and engine block. That would not be any pressure at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Real manifolds do not need 'bracing'.

If not done properly, bracing can actually promote more stress on the actual manifold than without bracing. Basically you have one force from the turbo being applied in the Y direction (down). When bracing the manifold you are increasing the distributed load to the Z and X directions in addition to the Y direction. There is also a thing called thermal expansion- When metals become hot, they expand. It is very critical that you use the same metals so they have the same expansion rates as one another. If you don't, then the materials will expand at different rates either causing the manifold to pull away from the bracing or the bracing to push the manifold out further away from it. This in return will cause more stress at the points where the braces connect to the manifold. Sooner or later the weakest point is going to fail. There is a lot more involved in this than most people think.

Either way, that manifold is a piece of ****. My friend had the the MENG/OBX/Spark on his sr20det and it ended up cracking 3 times on him and sucking in metal into his turbo. Byebye turbo and hello headaches.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:11 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Holy anti-draining oil return batman!

Other than that and the ssautochrome manifold, looks pretty good.

Modified by DaX at 11:23 AM 6/8/2004
Old 06-08-2004, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 140 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Re: UPDATE...h22 Turbo install so far... (solowerks)

your oil return sould be pointing strait down, or perpendicular to the ground. The oil will not leave the turbo fast enough if it is pointed sideways like that.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 Turbo install so far... (PrecisionH23a)

Real? What is real? I mean, Cmon! If it works then it works! Lots of people tend have sucess with these manifolds. There are few flaws but can be fixed. Few honda-tech members and lately ive seen local guys pushin a decent amount of power to these manifold. Even a guy here with his ITR pushing over 400+hp and still going strong. Even Sparks R., been having lots of sucessful customers. Come down to it, metal expansion is a neat thing to look at. Buy Ever thought Tubes/pipings etc expanding so much and popping out from welds? NO! Its not a large factor to actually even think about. Theres are manifolds cracked due to pressure of weight and by heat. And not by expansion of metals.

Function over Fashion. If it works. Then IT WORKS! Just because one says its not possible, doesnt make the point to be impossible!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrecisionH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Real manifolds do not need 'bracing'.

If not done properly, bracing can actually promote more stress on the actual manifold than without bracing. Basically you have one force from the turbo being applied in the Y direction (down). When bracing the manifold you are increasing the distributed load to the Z and X directions in addition to the Y direction. There is also a thing called thermal expansion- When metals become hot, they expand. It is very critical that you use the same metals so they have the same expansion rates as one another. If you don't, then the materials will expand at different rates either causing the manifold to pull away from the bracing or the bracing to push the manifold out further away from it. This in return will cause more stress at the points where the braces connect to the manifold. Sooner or later the weakest point is going to fail. There is a lot more involved in this than most people think.

Either way, that manifold is a piece of ****. My friend had the the MENG/OBX/Spark on his sr20det and it ended up cracking 3 times on him and sucking in metal into his turbo. Byebye turbo and hello headaches.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-08-2004, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by synik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Theres are manifolds cracked due to pressure of weight and by heat. And not by expansion of metals.

Function over Fashion. If it works. Then IT WORKS! Just because one says its not possible, doesnt make the point to be impossible!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pressure from weight and heat? Do you even know what you are talking about? I am a mechanical engineering senior by the way, I have taken plenty of classes and I fully understand how these things work. I've seen plenty of braced manifolds before, and I have also seen some that have cracked due to improper design.

Thermal expansion as well as the distributing the loads in the X,Y,Z axis is what can lead to increased stress at certain points on the manifold. I have done testing in our mechanical engineering lab on applications similar to the one we are discussing.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by synik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Theres are manifolds cracked due to pressure of weight and by heat. And not by expansion of metals.

Function over Fashion. If it works. Then IT WORKS! Just because one says its not possible, doesnt make the point to be impossible!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

boy do you not know how wrong you are.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 Turbo install so far... (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FredoSP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why such a tiny IC? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Didn't think I had much room to work with. I could have gone a little bigger, but proly would have ran into fitment problems with my front bumper unless I had a body kit.

If the mani cracks it cracks....I'll fix it. Takes about 15 minutes to pull it off my car. I already re welded it in several places that don't show and if it cracks in the others I will do those as well. The quality of the manifold looks good and I didn't wana mess up its appearance of the mani unless I have to..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highschooler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your oil return sould be pointing strait down, or perpendicular to the ground. The oil will not leave the turbo fast enough if it is pointed sideways like that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes thank you
Old 06-08-2004, 11:51 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

yeppers, SSautocrap will break. Just ask blackeg2
Old 06-08-2004, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UPDATE...h22 Turbo install so far... (HONDAofPOKY)

alright people get off his nuts about the manifold, hes heard it 20 million times, its not like one of you has the special way of typing thats going to make him change his mind. as i stated before, little bugs have been worked out, therefore drain is fixed, etc...where are the props people
Old 06-08-2004, 02:03 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: (DaX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks pretty good.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-08-2004, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: UPDATE...h22 Turbo install so far... (b16hybridsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16hybridsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright people get off his nuts about the manifold, hes heard it 20 million times, its not like one of you has the special way of typing thats going to make him change his mind. as i stated before, little bugs have been worked out, therefore drain is fixed, etc...where are the props people</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its cool man, as stated many times before by a friend we refer to as DOLLA..."HOLLA !"
Old 06-08-2004, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the only thing that worries me is that turbo. is it strait to4? whats the fool specs on it? it may not be in its efficany range.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:10 PM

brace the **** out of the many.
some people have gotten them to work if they brace them alot.

the set up looks good, good luck!

Quick Reply: h22 Turbo install so far...