Notices

H22 "Gutted" Intake Manifold better for turbo?

Old 04-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 "Gutted" Intake Manifold better for turbo?

I saw this post on here where the guy gutted the top and bottom of his stock IM but he vanished and never really posted any results.

( Here is the link : https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-prelude-4/modified-oem-h22-intake-manifold-2431727/ )

I am wondering, if I did this on my turbo h22a (stock IM) or any turbo h22 with a stock IM will it make a good difference? Also is it true that removing the spacer plate (where the butterfly flaps use to be) helps also? (He did not remove the spacer, I am just wondering about that...)

Here are his pics of what he did ...
Attached Images     
Old 04-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 "Gutted" Intake Manifold better for turbo?

Does anyone know if this will help or hurt a turbo H22?
Old 04-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cant "hurt" but results may vary based on power goal and might change the powerband. My car made 604whp with the stock JDM intake manifold but I recently removed the butteflys inside and will retune once weather is better.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sordz
cant "hurt" but results may vary based on power goal and might change the powerband. My car made 604whp with the stock JDM intake manifold but I recently removed the butteflys inside and will retune once weather is better.
Any progress with your modified manifold? Have you had time to retune?
Old 06-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you just cant take a perfectly stock intake manifold and think hey ill just port it myself with out flowing it, it should do better cus its ported and bigger... im sorry it dont work that way. if you dont know what his results are in that manifold he modded, then just dont expect it worked out. a big plenum on a setup that dont need it will hurt the power. your better off just buying a proven intake manifold then. and dose it really matter? its not like your trying to sqeeze every lil HP out of it.. the guy may have screwed it up and thats why you havent heard out of him and the manifold.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have a nice day

Last edited by vwbased; 01-27-2013 at 08:53 PM. Reason: have a nice day
Old 06-27-2011, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SLIM NOTHING
you just cant take a perfectly stock intake manifold and think hey ill just port it myself with out flowing it, it should do better cus its ported and bigger... im sorry it dont work that way. if you dont know what his results are in that manifold he modded, then just dont expect it worked out. a big plenum on a setup that dont need it will hurt the power. your better off just buying a proven intake manifold then. and dose it really matter? its not like your trying to sqeeze every lil HP out of it.. the guy may have screwed it up and thats why you havent heard out of him and the manifold.
Mate...get off your high horse! i only asked if he had any luck with this. The OPer asked if it would work, the 2nd poster said he was trying it or similar but needed time for a retune. I was wandering if 2nd poster has had time to tune and if he had any results. Have you read the 2nd posters power figures? i think with 600+hp that trying something different to get every little hp is his goal using what he has at hand. I dont expect anything to work...but without trial and error how do we find out if things do work or not.
Do you have any proof it doesnt work if so please enlighten everyone that has asked this question. Please provide dyno comparisons
Old 08-22-2011, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blwncr
Mate...get off your high horse! i only asked if he had any luck with this. The OPer asked if it would work, the 2nd poster said he was trying it or similar but needed time for a retune. I was wandering if 2nd poster has had time to tune and if he had any results. Have you read the 2nd posters power figures? i think with 600+hp that trying something different to get every little hp is his goal using what he has at hand. I dont expect anything to work...but without trial and error how do we find out if things do work or not.
Do you have any proof it doesnt work if so please enlighten everyone that has asked this question. Please provide dyno comparisons
X2
Old 08-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mr2 s use butterflys called tvis. I gutted mine out and it gained some top end but lost a little on the bottom. But when running a bigger turbo it was kind of a restriction so the change off is worth it. Once I switched back to stock turbo I REALLY missed it. Again this is just for an mr2 but I am sure results could be similar. Have an extra one lying around? Can always swap them back and forth to see what power is really gained and lost.