Notices

H22 .5 OS pistons, am I missing suppliers?

Old 10-06-2005, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 .5 OS pistons, am I missing suppliers?

Okay so Ive been reading frequebtly about boost to ascertain more knowledge about it cause thats the direction I wanna go, although this may still be a noob question. So a friend may have a block available for me. Its a H22 w/ a .5 overbore, but before I decide to take it I wanna make sure its not gonna be more trouble finding the parts I need. Eventually Im looking for sumthin like 15psi of boost. I was looking for pistons to fit the block and based on this research this is what I found, or couldnt. (Im lookin for 9:1 too)

JE makes them but didnt research too hard to see if they make them OS

Mahle makes them, but the posts I read sounded pretty schetchy about the product so not real sure if I even wanna touch that.

CP doesnt list em, but a HT sponser said in a post thay could be cust ordered for more dough.

Wiseco had something based on this link http://www.nolimitmotorsport.c....html but not being a boost affecianato maybe they do but I may have missed something. They make a 87mm and 88mm w/ OS sizes so does that mean they do have sumthin for me or not? You tell me cause Im tryin to understand but my brain just aint there yet.

So any helpful info will be appreciated. If its too hard to put a .5 OS block together than a STD on then say so. Like most of us Im on a budget and dont wanna waste money on a block then have to stop, sell it and start from where I should have originally...
Old 10-07-2005, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 .5 OS pistons, am I missing suppliers? (djbrandonr)

Is the block sleeved yet, or no?
Old 10-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 .5 OS pistons, am I missing suppliers? (Finest)

no, that was one of my other q's. How do you sleeve a closed deck?
Old 10-07-2005, 08:22 AM

The Mahle Gold Series pistons are good - when they first came out - a long time ago - they had problems. The problems are fixed.

And since then, i've heard excellent reviews......i'm going with them in my turbo build
Old 10-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheKingPin)

just to elaborate on their prob from what I read there was an issue of getting a rod to mount into the piston. Was that the only issue or was there more? Just so I have all the facts about what was wrong and now should be fixed. Do you gotta a website I can peep??
Old 10-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 .5 OS pistons, am I missing suppliers? (djbrandonr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djbrandonr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no, that was one of my other q's. How do you sleeve a closed deck?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bore it out, alot. Drop in new sleeves. Open deck designs will just cut out the entire top half of the cylinders and bore out the rest, then press in the sleeves.

I haven't heard enough good reviews (if any at all) about the "new" Mahle pistons to make a decision about running them or not? I guess someone's gotta do it first....why not you?!
Old 10-07-2005, 10:31 AM

Mahle is the only manufacture that makes FRM compatable pistons, but the biggest I've seen are 87.25mm don't know if they make will make custom sizes. JE and CP will make customs but you have to re-sleeve.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Gabus)

so I guess the big q is: is it worth taking this block or should I just keep my eyes out for a stock block w/o an overbore? I mean is sleeving a closed block a must if Im tryin to run 15 max and not always?