Notices

H/F Engine considerations for boost. Looking to switch to DOHC.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts
Default H/F Engine considerations for boost. Looking to switch to DOHC.

Well after cracking the #4 sleeve in my built F22B1 I've been scratching my head and trying to figure out which direction I want to take the car. My original goal/plan was 550whp out of a turbo F22 but I'm considering scrapping that. I could easily build another F22 since I still have all the parts but I'm just not sure if I want to. Lately I've been looking into stock block H22/23 and F20B turbo setups and I'm liking what I find. I want something that revs higher and has more readily available aftermarket support.

Chassis is a 5th gen Accord. Car isn't necessarily a straight line queen. My favorite thing to do is romp down backroads but I get together with the locals at times and enjoy blowing their doors off as well. I have pretty much everything I would need to reliably boost any of these motors as well as an AEM water/methanol setup that would really help with making power on a stock block or otherwise. If I go H22/23/F20B I'll likely be staying stock block and shooting for 380-400whp on 93 pump and 50/50 water/meth mix. If I make the switch to a DOHC motor I would do the obvious things such as headstuds and timing belt/water pump/manual tensioner conversion.

I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of each motor to figure out which way I want to go, hence this thread if anyone wants to contribute any additional information I may be overlooking.

Option A.)Stick with my little red-headed stepchild motor, the F22. Buy a block and rebuild. Would essentially need a completely built head to even come close to revving to 7k+ reliably and still make power up there as well. Would not sleeve...was considering a CSS treatment.

Option B.)H22. Seems to be the middle ground. Best aftermarket support. FRM sleeves are a downside if I eventually decided to build one. Have seen multiple 400whp+ stock block setups floating around that seem to last a fair length of time. Flows nice and works out of the box. For some reason importers/resellers are proud of these motors and the price reflects that.

Option C.)H23V blue top. FRM sleeves as well. More displacement = more torque and power. Fairly cheap. Not sure if I would need custom length rods if I ever decided to build it. There's also already a few of them floating around locally which puts me off.

Option D.)F20B. Auto versions are cheap. Manual versions can be hard to find. Amazing R/S ratio. Can rev to the moon and back but .2 liter displacement hit and I'm sure torque would suffer a little. Iron sleeves, so CSS would be an option. Could also reuse my pistons from my F22 but would need custom length rods that only seen to be obtainable through Bisi and are fairly expensive. Head parts are interchangeable with H22 stuff. 11:1 compression should make for a snappy, responsive, high revving setup. Wouldn't need to worry about detonation since I already have water/meth...I was running more compression in the built single cam.

I know the H/F community isn't as big as it used to be but if there's anybody out there - let me know what you think.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:50 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: H/F Engine considerations for boost. Looking to switch to DOHC.

I hate to muddy your waters even more, but have you considered a K swap? Seems like it would be a solid, viable option for your power goals.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

I have considered it. Too expensive for me unfortunately. May be an option if I win the lottery at some point, haha.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Option A and then B. so what u cracked a sleeve go CSS. Or sleeve an H. Just my opinion.