Notices

A guy I know tells me turbo SIs (and other Hondas for that matter) are unreliable, is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A guy I know tells me turbo SIs (and other Hondas for that matter) are unreliable, is this true?

I have always wanted to build up a turbo'd GSR or Si(R) or whatever, and I hear they hold up pretty well and you can build them for cheap, but this one guy tells me they're very expensive to build and they don't last and they're unreliable and can't hook, etc.
Is this true?
Old 10-20-2003, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A guy I know tells me turbo SIs (and other Hondas for that matter) are unreliable, is this true?

tell him to pull his head out of his *** and scrape the bullshit out of his eyballs and mouth..

i have had turbo cars on the road for 2+++ years with no problems. and im sure there are quite a few others on here that will tell you the same.

that goes with anything though...IF you HALF-*** something. ITS GONNA BREAK. if you do it right the first time. it might break still but you have a better chance of it lasting a long time.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:07 PM

Default Re: A guy I know tells me turbo SIs (and other Hondas for that matter) are unreliable, is this true?

Well, it depends. Turbo Hondas are a lot less reliable than stock Hondas. But properly done and maintained, running low boost, they can be fairly reliable.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ what 2.2L said.

Old 10-20-2003, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nothing is reliable if you push to hard. everything has limits. you just have to be careful not to push them to far.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's all in the maintenance. Also, running quality parts and tuning.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:00 PM

no more unreliable than a VW FWD. actually I seldom see fast VWs. mebbe its just where i race.

and Ditto to what Gravy said.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:04 PM

Turbo hondas, if done right, are more reliable than a lot of factory turbo cars. IMO.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Like everyone else said if you build them right, treat them good, they are reliable.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:01 AM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gravy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nothing is reliable if you push to hard. everything has limits. you just have to be careful not to push them to far.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ya, 12 psi, afc hack, 12:1 FMU, and a 60-1 tab00t. That lasted 3 pulls, but 4th gear was non-existent, traction wise
The engine already had a dead cylinder, I just wanted to see what it could do, power-wise. It pulled hard
When people do the above, and think that itll be reliable, then get pissed off because their **** blew to pieces...thats what gives turbo a bad name. WHen you get people like me, who have a full rebuild awaiting winter(and shop completion), that want to see what happens, then its kinda fun
Old 10-22-2003, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Turbo hondas are pretty much better that some factory turbocharged cars, if you build it right.
I´m building a 400whp civic and here you have guys that drives a lot much power without big problems.

Honda forever
Old 10-22-2003, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2.2Lcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tell him to pull his head out of his *** and scrape the bullshit out of his eyballs and mouth..

i have had turbo cars on the road for 2+++ years with no problems. and im sure there are quite a few others on here that will tell you the same.

that goes with anything though...IF you HALF-*** something. ITS GONNA BREAK. if you do it right the first time. it might break still but you have a better chance of it lasting a long time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup... I'll hit 1 year of boost in my daily driver Integra with a stock block soon. I abuse the **** out of it, but it was built properly so I can do that without worries. I have never had a single issue since boosting my car.