Notices

GT35R, about water cooling hookup

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT35R, about water cooling hookup

For all the guys that think they can just cap off the water lines on the GT35R. I still think you need to let the car idle before shutting off to cool down the oil a bit. As everyone knows, coking shortens turbo life.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GT35R, about water cooling hookup (Pikachu)

So, is it saying that water cooled turbos don't ever get above the coking threshold?

Where'd you find this one? I remember there being a graph in Maximum Boost about the differences but it's a little different than this one...

Either way, my turbo is water cooled

Oh, this graph isn't specifically for the GT35R is it? It should be the same for all turbos... right?
Old 03-16-2005, 07:11 AM

Default Re: GT35R, about water cooling hookup (EJ1 wilcox)

so according to the graph ... a turbo with out water cooling is always cooking the oil then? r..i..g..h..t
Old 03-16-2005, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GT35R, about water cooling hookup (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So, is it saying that water cooled turbos don't ever get above the coking threshold?

Where'd you find this one? I remember there being a graph in Maximum Boost about the differences but it's a little different than this one...

Either way, my turbo is water cooled

Oh, this graph isn't specifically for the GT35R is it? It should be the same for all turbos... right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea it's basically for all turbos that are water cooled. I wasn't sure all BB turbos are water cooled so I didn't want to say all turbos.

sbiggi, a turbo with water cooling basically never cokes or so the graph says.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:15 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: GT35R, about water cooling hookup (sbiggi)

on all of the gt series turbos, you have to hook up a water source to it, or else the bearings will fail

also, without water cooling (on non bb turbos) the oil will not coke as long as oil is flowing through the turbo, oil only begins to coke after the flow of oil stops, so the remaining oil just sitting in the turbo begins to coke.

Also, the only reason we have problems with coking today is because of the multi viscosity oils, if you can find a single viscosity oil, like 30w, then you dont have to worry about coking
Old 03-16-2005, 07:24 AM

Default Re: GT35R, about water cooling hookup (Pikachu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pikachu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yea it's basically for all turbos that are water cooled. I wasn't sure all BB turbos are water cooled so I didn't want to say all turbos.

sbiggi, a turbo with water cooling basically never cokes or so the graph says.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah but according to the graph its going to coke the oil while the car is running too. I can read the graph... and a water cooled turbo will still coke after you shut the car off if the turbo is hot.

The point I'm getting at, is that the graph looks like it was arbitrarily drawn.

I wouldnt rely on that graph for making a decision on wether or not to run a water cooled turbo.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wantboost, So basically your saying that if you're running full synthetic, there won't be an issue about coking?
Old 03-16-2005, 07:37 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: (Pikachu)

no, it will still coke if the temp is high enough. there are additives in multi viscosity oils that cause coking, mainly the detergents ( ibeleive) single viscosity oils wont coke, but they are a bitch to find and generally arent synthetic