Notices

GSR or Type-r cams for b18 turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR or Type-r cams for b18 turbo?

Hello....read a topic here that said that GSR cam are better than b16 cams for going turbo cuz of the more duration they have...But what about the type-r cams???
Are they better for boosting a b18c4 engine?? they have more duration than GSR cams but the lift is much more...Is it safe to run them at 8psi on a stock gsr??
will they give more gains?
Old 10-28-2005, 10:19 AM

ITR or CTR are one of the best turbo cams out there. but if your looking for an aftermarket one then rocket motorsports m21's are great.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so ITR cams are better than GSR??
i got one pair from each so i dont wanna go aftermartket...thats why i ask which one to keep
Old 10-28-2005, 11:30 AM

ITR ofcourse.
CTR would be a little better.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no fear because of the lift??? (11.5 i think..)
i know i sound like a....but i just blew my 12.5:1 cp toda spec C b16....
Old 10-29-2005, 01:56 PM

any more info on this?
Old 10-29-2005, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (andysila)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by andysila &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ITR or CTR are one of the best turbo cams out there. but if your looking for an aftermarket one then rocket motorsports m21's are great.</TD></TR></TABLE>

...werd, CTR or 2001 ITR cams is what u want
unless you go aftermarket.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostfeen)

Depends on the boost. GSR cams are great for moderate boost, but ITR cams will make more power at high boost levels. They have more overlap. Get adj. cam gears in either case.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Top Ramen)

GSR (red)
R (blue)
Old 01-13-2006, 11:21 AM

Default Re: (No_Fear)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by No_Fear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
GSR (red)
R (blue)</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn ! really impressive... I almost cant belive lol

Old 01-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what boost level and what was that motor setup

i have a built motor
i run 15psi
i have GSR cams...what should i go to...rocket m-21 or 01 ITR???
and where is the best place to get em
Old 01-13-2006, 11:50 AM
On Fire!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (lucidvtec)

m21's
Old 01-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm wetarded...i can't find a price for the m21's by themself....are they regrinds off the stocks???
or brand new
on the website it says cams only availble in complete set springs retainers

i have a full manley valvetrain and skunk2 adj. gears...stock gsr cams....

where to get the m21's????
Old 01-13-2006, 12:16 PM

ask Rocket
Old 01-13-2006, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (No_Fear)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by No_Fear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
GSR (red)
R (blue)</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're partially correct, but you forgot to mention the change in intake manifolds as well on this dyno. The GSR cam test had a Skunk2 manifold, but when they swaped to the ITR cams they changed the manifold to a JG victor X

Depending on your exhaust manifold setup, you might be safer going with the GSR cams. If you're planning on running an equal length manifold I would go with ITR CTRs. You don't want to use big cams with a shitty restrictive log style or cast exhaust manifold.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:30 PM
New User

Default Re: (LudeToAHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudeToAHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You're partially correct, but you forgot to mention the change in intake manifolds as well on this dyno. The GSR cam test had a Skunk2 manifold, but when they swaped to the ITR cams they changed the manifold to a JG victor X

Depending on your exhaust manifold setup, you might be safer going with the GSR cams. If you're planning on running an equal length manifold I would go with ITR CTRs. You don't want to use big cams with a shitty restrictive log style or cast exhaust manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well RLZ Engineering recently swapped from GSR cams to ITR cams and gained about 50whp and they are on a Rev Hard Log mani So that argument is alittle out there sorry
Old 01-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudeToAHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Depending on your exhaust manifold setup, you might be safer going with the GSR cams. If you're planning on running an equal length manifold I would go with ITR CTRs. You don't want to use big cams with a shitty restrictive log style or cast exhaust manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And a VictorX definitely does nothing good for the mid range power on motors, so this only makes it a stronger argument for the ITR cams.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tokes1320)

Pre-00 ITR+Boost=
94+ P72 OEM+Boost=
Old 01-14-2006, 09:01 AM
New User

Default Re: (spoonhatchblack)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoonhatchblack &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pre-00 ITR+Boost=
94+ P72 OEM+Boost=
</TD></TR></TABLE>

UH how do you figure??
Old 01-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostfed.com)

I'd go for either 00-01 ITR cams or CTR cams. But definately GSR over B16A cams.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostfed.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfed.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well RLZ Engineering recently swapped from GSR cams to ITR cams and gained about 50whp and they are on a Rev Hard Log mani So that argument is alittle out there sorry </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's good to know as far as the power gains, but how reliable is it to have such a high back pressure to intake pressure ratio? For reliability sake, you don't want to have an exhaust pressure that's significantly higher than the intake pressure. This happens when you use large cams with an exhaust manifold that is restrictive. Only so much overlap can be dialed out wiht cam gears. With the added excess overlap of larger cams having no place to excape through the exhaust, it will flow back into the cyliner contaminating the intake charge increasing the chances for detonation and increasing engine temps.

I'm not sure what the intake to exhaust pressure ration would be with ITR cams and a log mani, but I always like to safe then sorry... especially with a street setup
Old 01-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMisGOOD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMisGOOD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd go for either 00-01 ITR cams or CTR cams. But definately GSR over B16A cams. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What's the difference between the older ITR cams and 00-01s?
Old 01-14-2006, 01:06 PM
New User

That's good to know as far as the power gains, but how reliable is it to have such a high back pressure to intake pressure ratio? For reliability sake, you don't want to have an exhaust pressure that's significantly higher than the intake pressure. This happens when you use large cams with an exhaust manifold that is restrictive. Only so much overlap can be dialed out wiht cam gears. With the added excess overlap of larger cams having no place to excape through the exhaust, it will flow back into the cyliner contaminating the intake charge increasing the chances for detonation and increasing engine temps.

I'm not sure what the intake to exhaust pressure ration would be with ITR cams and a log mani, but I always like to safe then sorry... especially with a street setup</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah you make some GOOD POINTS but also keep in mind the MOST overdone thing is using TOO SMALL of a turbine housing with BIG COMPRESSOR sizes. You want to go as big as possible to reduce backpressure and still have decetn spool as well. In most cases a T4 turbine is going to benefit greatly over a T3 turbo, usually when people are going all out on their set ups they have gone a tubular or Equal length manifold NOT always but alot do. I have personal experience going from 2000 Si B16A cams to a USDM Spec 97-98/JDM Spec 96-97 spec ITR cams made 37whp at same RPM and boost BUT kept pulling up top to make 53whp total! In no way did it hurt performance NOR did I get any detonation. Most say go with HIGH LIFT short duration cams BUT lately people TRULY are experimenting with Honda cams and finding that high lift long duration(not CRAZY) is gaing alot of power! So throw all the OLD THEORIES out teh window. Check out my old post on ITR cams don't suck for Forced Induction and also GSC Motorsports where they used a JUN Stage 2 intake and Skunk Stage 1 exhaust(which has more lift and duration that ITR I do believe also)

Here is GSC post

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1333221

My Old Post

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=704660

EDIT:Now I will admit too that one member here had a 97-98 ITR and swapped to GSR cams and made 47whp more with them! WEIRD! I will find his name again, he swapped the motor into a blue EG hatch now.

Edit #2:Guy's name is turbotypeR on here he stated he made 40-50whp more and 50ft-lb torque throught the entire powerband from ITR to GSR, WEIRD BUT set up set up set up is most important thing and everyone will be different!

Modified by Boostfed.com at 5:30 PM 1/14/2006
Old 01-14-2006, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What's the difference between the older ITR cams and 00-01s? </TD></TR></TABLE>

00-01 ITR's have identical specs to CTR cams. The older ITR cams are less aggressive than CTR cams.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:08 PM
New User

Only difference between CTR cams and 97-98 ITR cams is 3 degrees more duration on intake for CTR, different opening and closing events as well, the 00-01 USDM ITR is said to have same exact specs as CTR cams too. All the Exhaust cams are same ITR and CTR

Edit:spelling mistakes

Modified by Boostfed.com at 5:25 PM 1/14/2006

Quick Reply: GSR or Type-r cams for b18 turbo?