Notices

GSR: TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 08:17 PM
mikestypeR

Default GSR: TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER

Hey guys whats up my name is Mike and I am new to the H.T.so I would appreciate all the help you guys could give me.

Basically what I am wanting to find out is Turbo or Supercharger?

Now I was looking at the t3/t4 turbonetics turbo ..I know about the whole lag situation... but the supercharger has no lag... now basically I am looking to find out what will be the most reliable and for the daily driving gsr..... I hear so many things about turbos and supercharger's and all the pro's and con's ... so thats why I am reaching out to you guys to tell me what you think abou both of the applications... well I guess you guys will give me the best info that you guys know.. thanks for all your help.

mike nelson
orlando
Old 08-07-2003, 09:02 PM
GSRcaucAZN78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: GSR: TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER (mikesgsr)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...83170
Old 08-08-2003, 09:52 AM
New User

try this link for starters

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=536105

also since you are new. we have a decent search engine to go through articles.
questions like yours are asked on a weekly if not daily basis. read up and enjoy.

Dont forget to search first... ask questions later
Old 08-08-2003, 10:25 AM

Default Re: GSR: TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER (psileepR)

Turbo..
Old 08-08-2003, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I went the JRSC route because I got a great deal from a friend of mine, and I have wondered how I ever lived without it. I did it right, installed it myself, got a Hondata S100 with boost option, got it tuned by a very reputable tuner, and have never had a problem with it yet...

I drive this car everyday and the motor has 160k on it, and runs extremely strong. I recently ran consistant 14.0's at Carlsbad raceway on a 80 degree day, on street tires, spinning in 1st, 2nd, and catching traction in 3rd gear.....

Check my sig for WHP and torque..... all on stock 6lbs of boost.....
Old 08-08-2003, 03:50 PM

Default Re: GSR: TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER (Blue-Civic-Hybrid)

I have had both a jrsc and a turbo and I will say GO TURBO!!!!.
You can adjust the boost on a turbo with the turn of a set bolt on
the wastegate. With the hot air blower you have to change belts
on a regular basis and boost upgrades are in the form of a pulley.
Turbo cars make power on exhaust and charged cars are robbed of
power to make power. TURBO!!!
Old 08-08-2003, 04:12 PM

supercharger for auto-x (low-end torque).....turbo for street or strip(high-end hp)
Old 10-08-2003, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (steroidguy)

a supercharger gives low end torque...but why does it not give you the same numbers in mid to high range rpm's?
Old 10-11-2003, 08:07 AM

If you decide to go Supercharger I am selling mine to go back to stock to sell my car i am asking $2000 for everything you could possibly need to run it and it is sick you can get up to 14 lbs. boost i have setups for 8, 10, and 12 lbs. setups... i would recommend for a daily driver to go JR supercharger over turbo because the reliability of the charger compaired to turbo is like night and day a huge difference for the supercharger being the most reliable by far....
Old 10-11-2003, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (xstalkrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xstalkrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a supercharger gives low end torque...but why does it not give you the same numbers in mid to high range rpm's?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because JRSC's are non-intercooled, they're inefficient compressors, small compressors, and they suck power away from the crankshaft to drive themselves.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The jrsc may be limited becasue of the lack of intercooling, but the throttle response is not unlike driving an inline 6. It's instant response, combined with a flat line of torque.

It all depends on what you want to do. A turbo can be turned up, intercoolers can be reworked, and the potnetial for making power is greater, but the jrsc system is also very good at making a different kind of power. Hell, my car stomps the autoX when it's jrsc boosted, and has no issues driving home afterword (at a high rate of speed ).

A lot of the sTuNNaZ around my area are running poorly tuned turbos because of the BOV and FMIC. It's sad actually.....
Old 10-11-2003, 09:58 AM

Default Re: (hypa)

if ur the type of guy that jsut wants a fun car to drive on the street, occasionally wants to race someone just for kicks, then the jrsc will be perfect for u... instant throttle response and pulls all through the rpm band. its as if its an all motor car.

now if ur into racing a lot and want to go to the drag strip every weekend for glory i would go turbo because of the great top end hp it offers gets some good track times. turbo is also good if ur into highway racing.

but i think for daily driving and/or autoX, a supercharger is a better way to go..
but if ur into drag strip racing, and highway racing, go turbo..
Old 10-11-2003, 10:01 AM

Super what?

or = Turbo

Your welcome for clearing that up...
Old 10-11-2003, 10:01 AM
New User

Default Re: (hypa)

the reliability of a supercharger vs a turbo will be limited to the quality of parts, quality of installation, and tuner. neither one is necessarily more reliable than the other. but the turbo has the most power potential and the most room for growth at a later date.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (steroidguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by steroidguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">supercharger for auto-x (low-end torque).....turbo for street or strip(high-end hp)</TD></TR></TABLE>

it really depend on how much you are looking to spend. and how fast you want to go. all my cars are turboed. just cause i love the boost, but SC are good for constant power. turboes are good for going really really fast. but the main thing is $$$. how much you are looking to spend, how fast you want to go, and if its for around town driving, track or 1/4 mile track.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (greekspeed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by greekspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if ur the type of guy that jsut wants a fun car to drive on the street, occasionally wants to race someone just for kicks, then the jrsc will be perfect for u... instant throttle response and pulls all through the rpm band. its as if its an all motor car.

now if ur into racing a lot and want to go to the drag strip every weekend for glory i would go turbo because of the great top end hp it offers gets some good track times. turbo is also good if ur into highway racing.

but i think for daily driving and/or autoX, a supercharger is a better way to go..
but if ur into drag strip racing, and highway racing, go turbo..</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya, sounds like the jrsc is for me then. My teg is a daily driver, and I would only want to race someone occasionally. I am sure it guzzles the gas though?
Old 10-11-2003, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xstalkrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ya, sounds like the jrsc is for me then. My teg is a daily driver, and I would only want to race someone occasionally. I am sure it guzzles the gas though?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mileage should be just as good as without the blower provided a good tune and you don't get on it much.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boosted92)

turbo
Old 10-11-2003, 07:04 PM

Default Re: (hybrid93SIvic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybrid93SIvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">turbo</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-11-2003, 08:00 PM

Default Re: (lazerus)

I rebuilt my car and am happy with my JRSC but you will NEVER make the power of a turbo with any super charger kit.

GO TURBO and built it right (Full-race ).

Good luck.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:21 PM

Default Re: (1strdko)

he wants something daily driven and reliable, if he is looking for that i doubt he wants to rebuild his motor for a turbo. anything tuned well can be good daily driven, but turbo has more potential. however, honda's with boost are much more difficult to tune and deal with. supercharger is most peoples more reliable route, but more potential out of the turbo. and to correct a statement, i believe that jackson does make an intercooler kit for their blower now. if your just looking for a decent daily driver, had a friend with a 4 door gsr run 13.8 with intake, jrsc on 6 psi, and street tires. hope some of this helps...
Old 10-11-2003, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dukesnmbr1)

what fuel system? hondata? tuning?
Old 10-11-2003, 10:35 PM

A properly tuned turbo setup will probably be more reliable than a blower at the same output level.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lazerus)

I believe that if both are tuned extremely well, then the blower is more stable because turbo is more likely to drop in psi, or spike up in psi. Blower seems more constant.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:58 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

yup this subject has been covered once or twice before.

Quick Reply: GSR: TURBO OR SUPERCHARGER