Notices

Gsr turbo Forged piston dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gsr turbo Forged piston dilemma

So I'm planning on buying a set of pistons for my Gsr turbo build im lookin to get around 350+ and id be happy ive picked up some rc550cc saturated injectors t3/t4 turbo greddy bov and a chipped hondata s300 ecu now I don't have the funds to purchase a brand new set of forged pistons and rods so I've been looking for a nice used set I came across some srp 10.5:1 comp with rods for 200$ which is a great deal also came across some weisco 8.8:1 pistons with no rods I know the rule of thumb was the lower your comp the more you can boost but I know we have evolved in the tuning process since 09 and as long as I don't cheap out on my tune I should be ok without sacrificing HP to lower comp just wondering what my best option for my buck is any insight would be appreciated thanx in advance Sean
Old 05-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gsr turbo Forged piston dilemma

i would save to get new pistons. you dont know how much they put the piston through.if you did have to choose i would look for something about 9:1.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For 350 I would do 9.5-10 compression. With some eagle h beam rods.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres people running 12:1 CR and boosting. It's all in the tune and the health of your motor. I'm building an ls vtec with 10.2:1 weiseco's and manley rods, going for 450whp on boost.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly I'm not to worried about the 10.5:1 comp cuz I'm gonna be getting a good tune i was concerned the guy sellin them had spun a bearing and i know that can ruin a rod but after further inspection i felt comfortable in purchasing them but am now gonna hold off because literally as I was typing my mechanic called me with the news and a change of plans apparently the Gsr block was no good so were goin with a b20v turbo set up using b16 head were lookin to bore it out the block and get some more HP than the Gsr turbo now I'm wondering how much HP can my 550cc injectors hold up to before I max out were shooting for around 400hp now I will be getting forged internals still and now a set of sleeves thanx for the feed back fellas appreciate the help
Old 05-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hpw do yoi go from super cheap used internals to a sleeved and built block?

If you power goal is sub 400 whp ( which your 550 injectors will max out before you hit 400) then a sleeved block is not needed, pick up another gsr or even LS block, do forged internals on stock sleeves and your good to go
Old 05-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ This.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Because the build plan changed I wasn't gonna go all out on a new set of pistons and rods for a mild build but now that we're talkin about uppin the anti a sleeved block is the right way to go and because a b20 block and b16 head are cheaper than the Gsr swap I bought the pistons are basically on my mechanic now therefore the money I was gonna use towards pistons now goes toward sleeving the block it's not that far fetched is it lol and reading up the 550's can handle up to 350hp so I'll prob look into a set of 720's or bigger
Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't do a b20v Turbo unless ur going to fully build the block,check out Honda tunnig Mr. Bucket one of the fastest eg's around runs a b20v fully built with a ls crank due to b20 cranks can't handle boost.
B20is not made for high horse power would rather run a b16.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would just get some 1000cc injectors.. Same price and can be tuned for whatever power you want
Old 05-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get a ls block and bore it to 84mm its cheaper
Old 05-04-2012, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool thanx guys appreciate all ur input that's why I originally sold my b20 and went with the Gsr because I figured it would be more "reliable" but I'm hopin my mechanic knows what he's doin since the Gsr block was bad I think he felt bad and wants to show me what we can really do he wants this to reflect on his shop and be a "beast" so we are tryin to keep it underwraps a bit till it hits the streets but i can tell you we deffinately planning on building the block right cuz yea a stock b20 block deff won't be able to handle the abuse I'm gonna throw at it and he's aware of that I know b20v can be one hell of a motor if put together right I'll keep u guys posted maybe start a build thread and appriciate the help and input
Old 05-04-2012, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gwarfare
ls crank due to b20 cranks can't handle boost.
b20 cranks are ls cranks so you're saying a ls motor cant handle boost and high hp, i hate to say that youre wrong but you are wrong
Old 05-04-2012, 04:19 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

I would consider saving the money and buy brand new pistons and rods
I often read and hear people say there own a budget, but seriously...were all on a budget. Just save the money and buy the parts new. I don't think buying used pistons and rods is a good idea personally. The tune is very important but quality parts is just as important
Old 05-04-2012, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't do a b20v Turbo unless ur going to fully build the block,check out Honda tunnig Mr. Bucket one of the fastest eg's around runs a b20v fully built with a ls crank due to b20 cranks can't handle boost.
Wtf??? That has to be some of the dumbest **** I've ever heard a b20 crank can't handle boost? For starters sir a b20 crank is an ls crank. All Honda b series 89mm cranks are the same and all Honda b series crank can handle plenty of power. It's the sleeves of the b20 that are the weak point due to very minimal material between the cylinders.

If the op is sleeping the block it doesn't matter what block he uses. And if the op wants vtec it's easiest to run a vtec block and use an ls crank. This will still give him/her ls vtec without the use of a crappy conversion kit.

What the op needs to do is figure out what he wants to spend and THEN figure out what hp goal is attainable with that budget. You can't pick an astronomical hp number and say you want to hit that Mark on 2000 dollar budget. Big power is backed by deep pockets. 400hp goal is easily attainable with pistons and Rods in a stock sleeve b18 block once you start pushing north of 450ish you will lose reliability of the stock sleeves. And once you get past 500 you really start beating up the transmission at a faster rate and they don't last either and if you can't afford to fix the car then it sits broken.

Your build budget needs to factor in everything from the build to maintenance and up keep down the road. If you can't afford to keep it on the road what's the point of pushing it hard?
Old 05-04-2012, 05:08 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by phaphon
Can't do that on stock sleeves.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah this is totally incorrect. B20 and LS use the same crank and rods. The difference in the B20 is the bore and the pistons, 84mm. THis make the already weak stock sleeves even thinner and weaker. B20s cant handle much over 300whp on a stock bottom end, I have seen then fail even with a good tune. The sleeves are just to think and the cylinder walls flex and do damage to the motor.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:42 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by justYncredible
I would consider saving the money and buy brand new pistons and rods
I often read and hear people say there own a budget, but seriously...were all on a budget. Just save the money and buy the parts new. I don't think buying used pistons and rods is a good idea personally. The tune is very important but quality parts is just as important
Old 05-04-2012, 09:01 AM
EK9

Originally Posted by nealnanoHX
Yeah this is totally incorrect. B20 and LS use the same crank and rods. The difference in the B20 is the bore and the pistons, 84mm. THis make the already weak stock sleeves even thinner and weaker. B20s cant handle much over 300whp on a stock bottom end, I have seen then fail even with a good tune. The sleeves are just to think and the cylinder walls flex and do damage to the motor.
B20s aren't just bored ls blocks. The sleeves are different
Old 05-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phaphon
LOL
Old 05-05-2012, 02:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes the block will be sleeved ive also heard a b20 crank is weak for boost and we will be replacing the crank i know b20/ls rods are the same my main concern of weakness are the cylinder walls but with a fresh set of sleeves im confident it can take it And the more I pondered the fact buying used rods is probably not a wise decision a fresh set of pistons and rods will be applied knowing the fact you get what you pay for I do have a budget and hp hoal set and am well aware of the cost but like I said the build went from more of 280hp street car to more of a 380-400hp shop/track/street car I'm not trying to argue the reliability of the build but I think it is deff doable and can be reliable at the same time
Old 05-05-2012, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you just totally miss the part above where those guys said the B20 cranks are identical to LS cranks? LOL... NO NEED TO REPLACE IT!
Old 05-05-2012, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sean EgHatch909
ive also heard a b20 crank is weak for boost
i guess theres nothing we can say. i guess anecdotal stories are better than real facts
Old 05-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No its condescending jackasses like u that give these forums a bad name I never said I was replacing with an identical ls crank all I said us the crank will be replaced maybe u should read before u spout off dumb comments thanx
Old 05-05-2012, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All I said is I have heard that b20 cranks are weak for boost but I know they are the same exact crank so that settles that my concern are the cylinder walls and maxing out my injectors I know my 550's will max around 350 at about an 85% duty cycle so I'd like to upgrade to a set of 750's or even 1000's I'm wondering if 400hp is a little to much for the injectors and stock cylinder walls if sleeving is a must I plan on doing it mostly for peace of mind

Quick Reply: Gsr turbo Forged piston dilemma