Notices

GSR trbo vs ITR motor in my newly acquired hatchy? :-)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR trbo vs ITR motor in my newly acquired hatchy? :-)

know this may sound stupid but really wanted to get some advice from you tech guys. I've been on this board for quite some time, always lurking through forced induction forum because i always wanted to own a turbo honda but never got around to do it. Well i'm really considering it this time, and would like to hear what your opinions are. Btw, i appologize if this topic had been covered previously.

This will be a daily driver that i put on 15K miles a year. I will "want" more power then what the ITR motor had to offer last time. It was fun for like few months then i got greedy and wanted more.. same thing with my first GSR motor and thats bascially why i moved onto ITR.. although i should have turboed the GSR but its too late for that now. Also i plan on installing everything myself this time with a help of friend that is far more mechanically inclided then myself.

Anyways, i planned on getting either a complete US GSR motor w/lot of miles, or maybe locate a shortblock w/lot of miles, then part it together. What would be a chaper option? Then get a turbo kit, something like max-rev? or any other brand that is highly suggested? Because we will not have the tools/time/knowledge to fabricate anything ourselves, suggested fuel management? As far as electronics are concerned a boost controler, fuel, boost, egt gagues should do the trick?
Now since this will be a daily driver and i dont really have the ends to go ***** out on the motor, if i only rebuild the bottom end would that be enough? New pistons, rods? Get a clutch slap it all together, tune it well and should that make me happier then ITR motor stock? What about reliability considering the miles i put on, btw i'm not heavy on the gas at all due to my crappy dmv record

Tks for all the advice in advance, i'm open any suggestion maybe something besides the gsr motor that will still yield good numbers etc... a suggested estimated cost would be highly appreciated..

Ismar
Old 02-18-2003, 09:15 AM

Default Re: GSR trbo vs ITR motor in my newly acquired hatchy? :-) (hybrid_eg)

If you already have an itr motor boost that.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR trbo vs ITR motor in my newly acquired hatchy? :-) (yellowsub)

nope dont have an ITR motor.. all i got right now is a bone stock CX.. as mentioned previously i'm open to any motor suggestion. tks
Old 02-18-2003, 09:59 AM

get a jdm b16a drop that in, run about 8-10psi with a nice turbo and you'll be happy.....
Old 02-18-2003, 10:00 AM
BLAP BLAP!!!

i would suggest a turbo vtec motor... b16 or b18.. it's all a matter of how much power you want to put down, how you want the car to drive and how much money you got... you drive a honda so it doesnt matter what you choose
Old 02-18-2003, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: GSR trbo vs ITR motor in my newly acquired hatchy? :-) (turbocr-x)

Get the gsr engine. I have had the b16a/b18b/b18c/b20z in my hatchback all turbo'd. The most fun was either the b20 or the gsr engine. The ITR engine is a great engine to boost on stock for stock compared to the gsr. You will make power easier, but wont be able to run as much boost as the other b-series engines. For a daily driver I like high compression/lower boost. Running around 8psi on a custom kit with engine management you can see around 300whp, with alot more torque than the gsr engine can yield.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR trbo vs ITR motor in my newly acquired hatchy? :-) (boosted hybrid)

boosted hybrid, which motor did u like better turboed...the gsr motor or the b20z motor??
Old 02-19-2003, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: GSR trbo vs ITR motor in my newly acquired hatchy? :-) (chidoks)

The b20 was super fun daily driving. The gsr is also alot of fun. My vote would have to go to the gsr with the higher redline. It made more use of the .63 exhaust housing powerband.